Washing my Model 3?

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I have always washed my cars myself. I have just used Dish soap (I know) with a wash mitt and regular towels and have been fine with it and they look great. I recently switched to a Turtle Wax Car Soap. But you Pros out there, what would you recommend? From the soap to the towels to the soap applicator, what is the best way to take car of this car?
FYI, I prob wont be putting a wrap on.
The service center put a coat of McGuire’s Finishig Wax on when they detailed. Any wax recommendations as well?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm planning on following something like this:

Now, the polishing & waxing would not happen with every wash. So ignoring those, it looks something like:
  • Foam Cannon, let it work for a few minutes (touchless step)
  • Rinse
  • Foam Cannon again instead of other soap (because foam cannons are more fun)
  • Cleaning mitt for car body
    • Use bucket with grit guard for rinsing cleaning mitt.
  • Rinse car body
  • Clean wheels, tires, and wheel wells using something else.
  • Rinse wheels & tires.
  • Dry car body with clean microfiber towels, use something else for wheels & tires.

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I bought two car wash mitts, a goopy soap that I don't recall the brand of (sorry, I'm at work), two buckets (one for the soap, one for plain water), a couple of large "The Absorber" for drying, and a microfiber drying cloth.

(I'll snap a picture of my product lineup when I'm home. I'm sure others have better ideas/plans for car washing but I'll just share mine)

I rinse the car, then use the soap on the mitts (I use both at once and do a Karate Kid wax on wax off with the two, to speed things up) and go all over the car, being very very generous with the soap. I make sure I'm in the shade so the sun doesn't dry the soap, even though this soap says it's not a problem if it does. After rinsing I make sure it is clean to my liking, then start with the Absorber to get most of the water off. I use the microfiber as a finisher and it usually ends up just slightly moist after doing the whole car.

I also have some dedicated "throw away" cotton rags I use to get in the nooks of the wheels, then spray a little tire magic or the armor all equivalent on the tires and let that dry.

Not the best, though hopefully not the worst tactic. But it's worked for me. Note that it's been cold here and I've only washed my car once, my wife's Model S though I've done the same way 3 or 4 times.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm planning on following something like this:

Now, the polishing & waxing would not happen with every wash. So ignoring those, it looks something like:
  • Foam Cannon, let it work for a few minutes (touchless step)
  • Rinse
  • Foam Cannon again instead of other soap (because foam cannons are more fun)
  • Cleaning mitt for car body
    • Use bucket with grit guard for rinsing cleaning mitt.
  • Rinse car body
  • Clean wheels, tires, and wheel wells using something else.
  • Rinse wheels & tires.
  • Dry car body with clean microfiber towels, use something else for wheels & tires.
This guy is awesome! He has lots of good tips. I can wash a car, but I wanna start out doing this one right

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
FINALLY! Its been 17 days since I picked up RUBY WOO and I finally have been able to wash her. Between work, the cold and rain, I couldn't do it. Thanks for ya'lls input. She looks great. I talked to guys at MEGUIAR'S. They suggested their new ULTIMATE FAST FINSIH. So she is going to get her first coat of wax in a few minutes. Actually a SYNTHETIC POLYMER COATING
img_0022-jpg.7035
img_0023-jpg.7036

BellevueEd

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
FINALLY! Its been 17 days since I picked up RUBY WOO and I finally have been able to wash her. Between work, the cold and rain, I couldn't do it. Thanks for ya'lls input. She looks great. I talked to guys at MEGUIAR'S. They suggested their new ULTIMATE FAST FINSIH. So she is going to get her first coat of wax in a few minutes. Actually a SYNTHETIC POLYMER COATING
View attachment 7035 View attachment 7036
Looks great! Just ordered a bottle. Now, all I need is a Model 3....

RogerG

Country
Country
The paint on my Model 3 looks as good as on my 2013 Model S, which has always been hand washed either by me or at a "hand" carwash business. The Model S has almost no "swirl marks" from the hand carwash. Given the high quality paint work on Tesla's I think its worth it to wash it yourself when possible and to find a hand carwash for those times its not possible to wash yourself. BTW, my Model S has just hit 100,000 miles and still looks like new inside and out and still drives like a new car! I do love the driving dynamics of the Model 3.

John Slaby

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Going through a car wash in a Model 3 is a cringeworthy sight :eek:
When you have months of freezing, messy winter weather making it impossible to wash the car yourself, it seems better to go through a brushless car wash than ignore the dirt and salt built up on a car. Just sayin'

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When you have months of freezing, messy winter weather making it impossible to wash the car yourself, it seems better to go through a brushless car wash than ignore the dirt and salt built up on a car. Just sayin'
Fair point -- I suppose I can't relate in Florida. Question though, do you have an indoor garage for the car? If so, I have a great solution for you!

John Slaby

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Fair point -- I suppose I can't relate in Florida. Question though, do you have an indoor garage for the car? If so, I have a great solution for you!
Very constrained for our two cars, so it might be doable, but it would be a challenge.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Very constrained for our two cars, so it might be doable, but it would be a challenge.
Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine

You take 2 buckets, fill both with 2 gallons of water. Mix 2 capfuls of the above in one of the buckets. Take a microfiber towel and drop it in the bucket with the solution. Ring it out so it’s not dripping but still damp. Fold it into quarters and wash gently a panel at a time. Since you folded into quarters you can do 4 panels at once. After the 4 are done, drop the towel into the bucket without solution to remove dirt. Now take a dry microfiber and dry the cleaned panels. Repeat until the car is done. I do this every weekend with great (fast) results!

Last edited by a moderator: