WARNING: 'Valet for Tesla' OSX Catalina

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

bwilson4web

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I recently updated my MacOS to Version 10.15 (macOS Catalina) then I started "Valet for Tesla." A popup came up asking for permission to 'allow reading all keystrokes from other applications.' Of course I declined but had not seen that in the previous version.

Willfully installing a 'keystroke monitor' is not a good thing.

Bob Wilson

HCD3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I recently updated my MacOS to Version 10.15 (macOS Catalina) then I started "Valet for Tesla." A popup came up asking for permission to 'allow reading all keystrokes from other applications.' Of course I declined but had not seen that in the previous version.
What is Valet for Tesla? I just upgraded to Catalina. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Catalina turns up security and permissions all over the place. You are going to see alerts in plenty of places after updating.
My guess is they just have some command key combinations to activate some features, and they are just monitoring all keypresses to do it, instead of using some system API. Certainly understand denying them access, but hopefully they will offer an update soon. I think you will see stuff like this with a lot of other apps as well.

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My guess is they just have some command key combinations to activate some features, and they are just monitoring all keypresses to do it, instead of using some system API.
This kind of thing is more likely used by apps that need to react to a key w/o the user being actively using the app (I have one that flashes the screen briefly when the esc key is hit in the toolbar regardless of active app); the normal programming model doesn't require anything special be done if the app is the current 'firstResponder'.

They may have made use of a framework or something from another source that is a little bit too interested in all the keys you type..

They should update it if for no other reason to be better behaved or to provide a really good explanation on why they need that permission.. in my view..

Hugh_Jassol

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Willfully installing a 'keystroke monitor' is not a good thing.

Bob Wilson
This is because the app has hotkeys. In Catalina, an app has to ask permissions to be able to "listen" to your keystrokes. This is to prevent you from installing an app that has a hidden keystroke logger in it. Of course, it means when you grant the permission, you are trusting the developer. Prior to Catalina, an app didn't need permission to do this.

Mr. Spacely

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am not a fan of all the third party apps in general. The Tesla app is able to do everything I want, and have no interest in tracking every charge, efficiency, battery degradation, etc. I am too busy enjoying the car to worry about all that...

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am not a fan of all the third party apps in general. The Tesla app is able to do everything I want, and have no interest in tracking every charge, efficiency, battery degradation, etc. I am too busy enjoying the car to worry about all that...
I can understand that, it's not for everyone. For some of us, tracking that data is PART of enjoying the car. I drive a lot (23k on my Model 3 purchased end of December 2018) and have always been fastidious in tracking my data, even in my ICE cars. Some of these apps / sites are great as the data is far more automated now and easier to digest. And especially being an EV noobie, it really makes it easier to understand what the car is doing and telling me. Which greatly reduces range anxiety and overall EV anxiety in general.