Warning...ALWAYS have your key card with you. DO NOT rely on the phone

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
I was wondering, then, why Tesla couldn't do the same thing on their end??

But I have already had to do this for my wife, when her key card wouldn't work for some reason. It worked great!
I suspect that @Cernie has some account setup issue so that was the limiting factor. Instead of contacting customer support, they can more easily call their parent's for temporary use of the car in a jam or just log into the app with their account info.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

But I have already had to do this for my wife, when her key card wouldn't work for some reason. It worked great!
Perhaps they aren’t on the Tesla account as an authorized user? If your name is not on that file, Tesla needs permission from the app “owner” to do anything. It’s an added layer of security. Best practice between sharing accounts is to always have the app owner add you and any family members who drive the car regularly as authorized users.

With so many Model 3 deliveries and people sharing/transferring reservations I am not surprised it’s taking them forever to switch stuff around.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

It has to be for legal and liability reasons as to why they would not start the car for you. What methods do they use to verify it's really you as well?

Cernie

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I suspect that @Cernie has some account setup issue so that was the limiting factor. Instead of contacting customer support, they can more easily call their parent's for temporary use of the car in a jam or just log into the app with their account info.
Brokedoc...my situation is one of probably many. I have two cars on one account and that will be my permanent state (i.e. the Model S for my wife and the Model 3 for me). The problem that I have is that the app does work...but only shows my Model S. The Model 3 does not show up so I can't do all the remote locking/unlocking. It is not a phone issue because the app works and my wife is having the same issue. I talked to Tesla yesterday and they said the problem was that their system did not show it as being delivered and the local DS needed to indicate that they had delivered it (i.e. "release the car"). I called my local DS and they investigated and said that their end of the system showed the status as delivered. So...my account for the Model S is somewhere between "delivered" at the local DS and "not delivered" at the central Tesla system.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Brokedoc...my situation is one of probably many. I have two cars on one account and that will be my permanent state (i.e. the Model S for my wife and the Model 3 for me). The problem that I have is that the app does work...but only shows my Model S. The Model 3 does not show up so I can't do all the remote locking/unlocking. It is not a phone issue because the app works and my wife is having the same issue. I talked to Tesla yesterday and they said the problem was that their system did not show it as being delivered and the local DS needed to indicate that they had delivered it (i.e. "release the car"). I called my local DS and they investigated and said that their end of the system showed the status as delivered. So...my account for the Model S is somewhere between "delivered" at the local DS and "not delivered" at the central Tesla system.
I understand now. That's complete crap. Make sure you send a STRONGLY worded message through the MyTesla page where you advance it for executive review. Something like this should be fixed in 5 minutes tops.

Cernie

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

As easily it can be to keep the keycard in your wallet, there IS an alternative when the phone key isn’t working. It won’t help @Cernie because that’s more of an account setup issue and their entire phone app won’t work. But @Cernie can have their parents remotely unlock and start the car for them from their phone app so towing isn’t needed.

So from the phone app, you can do a remote unlock even without the phone key working.

View attachment 6062
View attachment 6063

Then, you can do a remote “start” so you can drive the car without the keycard or the phone key working. This also works if you have someone that wants to borrow your car and they don’t have the “keys”
View attachment 6064
View attachment 6065
This solution works great if the car shows up on the app. As I mentioned in another post...the app works for my Model S but the Model 3 disappeared. If the car is not associated with the app then you can't use this technique. The latest from the Tesla tech people is that they have 72 hours to mark your car as delivered in the system and for your car to be associated with the app. So...the cool app stuff you get during your "delivery experience" is temporary and will go away within 24 hours unless they mark it in their system as delivered and they have 72 hours to do that. Not resolved yet so stay tuned...The weird thing is that I never really thought about the car just disappearing from the app. That never happened to me with the Model S. If it does disappear, you are completely reliant on the key card (model 3) or fob (model S/X).

BTW...not sure how much my dad can help on this one. He owns a clam shell "dumb" phone and the only Tesla he knows is Nikola and his contributions to AC current. :)

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
FYI - semi related but off topic.

A coworker locked her keys in her Toyota while out of state. Apparently if you have your ID and registration with you, you can go to any Toyota dealer and they will cut an ENTRY key for you for $15. No chip in the key so you can’t start the car but useful if you need to unlock. Of course, if you had a Tesla, you can unlock remotely...

ahagge

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
A coworker locked her keys in her Toyota while out of state. Apparently if you have your ID and registration with you, you can go to any Toyota dealer and they will cut an ENTRY key for you for $15.
Interesting, but I can't imaging someone traveling out of state with their vehicle and keeping their registration on their person rather than in the vehicle. I would think it would be better to do this at home and carry the spare key on one's person (or in a key holder hidden under the vehicle).

Cernie

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So...the problem is finally fixed but let me recap what happened. Bottom line...Tesla tech support is absolutely terrible...they don't know what it going on and can't solve problems other than sending other departments emails. Here is the sequence...

1) Last Wednesday...called Tech support last when I noticed my car had disappeared from my app. On hold for 20 minutes. Explain my problem and get transferred to someone that can supposedly help. Get disconnected right away
2) Last Wednesday....called Tech support again and wait another 25 minutes on hold. They tell me the problem is that someone should have marked my car as delivered and didn't do that yet. Told me they would call me with a status and asked me to check app again on Thursday.
3) Last Thursday...still nothing works and my car still shows up as "ready for delivery" on Thursday and no call from Tech support. Call the Tech support ...on hold for 15 minutes. Get told the same story about someone needing to mark it as delivered. Ask who that person needs to be and they say my Delivery Center
4) Last Thursday...call the delivery center and they tell me everything is good on their end and that I should give it until Friday morning to check again and call Tech support
5) Last Friday...call Tech support and get put on hold for 20 minutes. They tell me the same story...someone has to mark the car as delivered. I ask who...they say the Delivery Center...I tell them I called them and they said they are done. Typing and grunts ensue on their end and then they tell me that the hold up appears to be at my IS person and that they have 72 hours from delivery (which occurred Tuesday) and to touch base with my IS if I didn't see it resolved on Monday.
6) Monday...still not fixed. I call my IS (who is awesome) and tell her what is going on and that they are saying she is the holdup. She calls BS but says that she will definitely look into it.
7) Tuesday...still not fixed. Call my IS and leave a VM telling her it is still not fixed. She writes me email that she is still pursuing on her end but doesn't have any answers yet.
8) Tuesday...call Tech support. Put on hold again for 20 minutes. Tell them what is going on...I'm really annoyed by this point. He agrees that it is a problem and says he will write an email to a special department than can fix this. I ask if there is any other escalation and he says "no". I tell him I am tired of the runaround and he assures me that he will call me that afternoon or the next morning.
9) Wednesday...still not fixed and no call from Tech support who said they would call me. I am pissed. I write my IS and she says she is all over it and calling the delivery center and will get to the bottom of this. Wednesday afternoon I get a voicemail from Tech support telling me they have no updates but are continuing to monitor
10) Wednesday afternoon...I am really pissed. I call Tech support and am on hold for another 20 minutes before I get to talk to someone. I have worked at call centers before and know that the poor guy answering the phone should not be abused. Nevertheless...I am angry. I ask to speak to a supervisor and he tells me that "he is not available right now". I tell him to check...he puts me on hold...comes back and tells me "he is not available right now". I used to work at a call center and know that a supervisor is ALWAYS there. I ask "I know he is there...he doesn't want to talk to me, right?". I get the same "he is not available now". I ask him is there is any other escalation mechanism. He says "no". I get stonewalled. I change tactics and tell him that I can't keep calling and that he has to offer some solution to me. He tells me he is going to ask around and call me in an hour.
11) Wednesday late afternoon....get an email from IS that she has lit a fire under the delivery center and escalated this to the manager. I do get a call within the hour from Tech support. Problem FINALLY solved!!!

So...what is the moral of the story here? Tech support is terrible...expect long waits to talk to anyone and all they can do is fire off emails and IMs to different people. It appears that back office support at Tesla is very compartmentalized and the only way they communicate is via email/messages. No one knows what other groups are doing. So...you might end up in a black hole like I did where no one knows who "broke" something and there is no escalation mechanism. This is really bad process so be prepared for it. Love the car...the support is really terrible.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So...the problem is finally fixed but let me recap what happened. Bottom line...Tesla tech support is absolutely terrible...they don't know what it going on and can't solve problems other than sending other departments emails. Here is the sequence...

1) Last Wednesday...called Tech support last when I noticed my car had disappeared from my app. On hold for 20 minutes. Explain my problem and get transferred to someone that can supposedly help. Get disconnected right away
2) Last Wednesday....called Tech support again and wait another 25 minutes on hold. They tell me the problem is that someone should have marked my car as delivered and didn't do that yet. Told me they would call me with a status and asked me to check app again on Thursday.
3) Last Thursday...still nothing works and my car still shows up as "ready for delivery" on Thursday and no call from Tech support. Call the Tech support ...on hold for 15 minutes. Get told the same story about someone needing to mark it as delivered. Ask who that person needs to be and they say my Delivery Center
4) Last Thursday...call the delivery center and they tell me everything is good on their end and that I should give it until Friday morning to check again and call Tech support
5) Last Friday...call Tech support and get put on hold for 20 minutes. They tell me the same story...someone has to mark the car as delivered. I ask who...they say the Delivery Center...I tell them I called them and they said they are done. Typing and grunts ensue on their end and then they tell me that the hold up appears to be at my IS person and that they have 72 hours from delivery (which occurred Tuesday) and to touch base with my IS if I didn't see it resolved on Monday.
6) Monday...still not fixed. I call my IS (who is awesome) and tell her what is going on and that they are saying she is the holdup. She calls BS but says that she will definitely look into it.
7) Tuesday...still not fixed. Call my IS and leave a VM telling her it is still not fixed. She writes me email that she is still pursuing on her end but doesn't have any answers yet.
8) Tuesday...call Tech support. Put on hold again for 20 minutes. Tell them what is going on...I'm really annoyed by this point. He agrees that it is a problem and says he will write an email to a special department than can fix this. I ask if there is any other escalation and he says "no". I tell him I am tired of the runaround and he assures me that he will call me that afternoon or the next morning.
9) Wednesday...still not fixed and no call from Tech support who said they would call me. I am pissed. I write my IS and she says she is all over it and calling the delivery center and will get to the bottom of this. Wednesday afternoon I get a voicemail from Tech support telling me they have no updates but are continuing to monitor
10) Wednesday afternoon...I am really pissed. I call Tech support and am on hold for another 20 minutes before I get to talk to someone. I have worked at call centers before and know that the poor guy answering the phone should not be abused. Nevertheless...I am angry. I ask to speak to a supervisor and he tells me that "he is not available right now". I tell him to check...he puts me on hold...comes back and tells me "he is not available right now". I used to work at a call center and know that a supervisor is ALWAYS there. I ask "I know he is there...he doesn't want to talk to me, right?". I get the same "he is not available now". I ask him is there is any other escalation mechanism. He says "no". I get stonewalled. I change tactics and tell him that I can't keep calling and that he has to offer some solution to me. He tells me he is going to ask around and call me in an hour.
11) Wednesday late afternoon....get an email from IS that she has lit a fire under the delivery center and escalated this to the manager. I do get a call within the hour from Tech support. Problem FINALLY solved!!!

So...what is the moral of the story here? Tech support is terrible...expect long waits to talk to anyone and all they can do is fire off emails and IMs to different people. It appears that back office support at Tesla is very compartmentalized and the only way they communicate is via email/messages. No one knows what other groups are doing. So...you might end up in a black hole like I did where no one knows who "broke" something and there is no escalation mechanism. This is really bad process so be prepared for it. Love the car...the support is really terrible.
Wow. What an awful experience.

Jon McNeill, we miss you...

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

I feel the same now 1 month and 1 day into a 3-5 day estimate for account transfer