Want to view efficiency stats

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• A statement from the Founder of Tesla Owners Online:

TOO is, and remains, strongly committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and we see no place for hatred and discrimination in our communities.

MrMatt

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hi all, I believe I know this but don't see it elsewhere: Is there any place I can see/lean usage stats for my Mod 3? I just took a decent road trip and want to see overall, usage, peak, how much the supercharging refilled, etc. I see nothing useful on dash pressing the lighting bolt and nothing in the app. Trip computer (card) is basic at best. I want a chart! Am I missing it somehow? You all think we need better viability into the data?

CleanEV

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

MrMatt

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have this app named ‘Stats’ for iOS.
Android options? :(

How does the app work, do you know? i'm extra nervous with an app by some random guy affecting my CAR:
Seller

Popak Roshan

Size

36.8 MB

Category

Utilities

Compatibility

Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.

Languages

English

Age Rating

Rated 4+

Copyright

© 2017 MaaDoTaa

MrMatt

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Register an account at TeslaFi.com and link it to your Tesla.com account

They collect all that data you are looking for and present it to you with great charts and graphs.
Thanks @DannyHamilton How does it work? Where does it source the data from? Can it write to the car? First i'm hearing of it. Watching videos on it, and i dont see where the data comes from?

Last edited:

DannyHamilton

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The Tesla cars have an interface (often called an API) that allows programmers to collect information from the car (GPS location, speed, battery stats, interior & exterior temperature, etc), as well as control a few functions (such as A/C, horn, lights, locks, starting & stopping charging, setting charging limit, etc).

When you link your TeslaFi account to your Tesla.com account, you give TeslaFi access to this interface. It then continuously polls your car for information and stores it in a database for you. There are two ways to link the accounts.

1. You can provide TeslaFi with your userID and password. They claim that they will use the information only long enough to acquire the API authentication token from Tesla.com, and that they will not store your Tesla.com userID or password anywhere. Then they store the authentication token, which only allows them access to the API and not the rest of your Tesla.com account.

2. If you don't trust them not to store your userID and password, and if you have the technical know how to do so, you can acquire the API authentication token from tesla.com and provide ONLY that token to TelsaFi. This way, they ONLY ever have access to the API, and not the rest of your account.

Either way that you choose to link the accounts, you can immediately block TeslaFi from accessing your vehicle by changing your password on your Tesla.com website. When you change your password at Tesla.com, Tesla will disable all API keys that were acquired with an older password.

There are other apps (such as TezLab) that do similar data reporting, but TeslaFi is the only one I am aware of so far that lets you provide them with ONLY the API token. All the rest of the apps that I've seen REQUIRE you to provide them with your password and to trust that they won't keep it after they go get the API token themselves.

For a list of all the data that can be collected and features that can be controlled with the API, see here:
https://timdorr.docs.apiary.io/

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Not saying they will do it but please be aware that they can do many thing from starting car, open frunk/trunk to reset Valet PIN using this access. You may find more what they can do here: https://timdorr.docs.apiary.io/#reference/vehicles (it is technical but understandable for non-tech person as well from the naming). So especially when giving out authentication details to unknown/ not well known apps think twice!

Please note it is based on my quick look at the API functions (unofficial documentation), I didn't dive deeper into this.

Last edited:
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
I’ve been using Teslafi for 18 months without any significant impact on vampire drain on my Model S. You can leave your car with “always connected off” and “power saving on” and it works fine.

Maybe it works differently on the 3.

Stats App

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
It's also worth mentioning that these extra apps are suspected in causing significant vampire drain in some cars.

The obvious answer is for Tesla to provide detailed energy info on the screen like they do for the S and X.
Here is a histogram of phantom drain of all the users of the Stats app (filtered for model 3). The most frequent phantom drain rate is 0.2mph which is pretty low.
The graph is generated by the app.

img_b73efec85e25-1-jpeg.19614

jsmay311

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Here is a histogram of phantom drain of all the users of the Stats app (filtered for model 3). The most frequent phantom drain rate is 0.2mph which is pretty low.
The graph is generated by the app.

View attachment 19614
Well, 0.2mi/hr (or 4.8 miles/day) may be the most common drain rate on that graph, but it’s not the average or the median, both of which are significantly higher. And even 4.8 mi/day is higher than it should be.

Just eyeballing it, it looks like the median car connected to this app is losing 7-8 miles/day.

Stats App

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Well, 0.2mi/hr (or 4.8 miles/day) may be the most common drain rate on that graph, but it’s not the average or the median, both of which are significantly higher. And even 4.8 mi/day is higher than it should be.

Just eyeballing it, it looks like the median car connected to this app is losing 7-8 miles/day.
Average is 0.25mph. Median is 0.28mph. Mode is 0.2mph.
Expressing drain rate in units of "miles per day" may be somewhat confusing because it is relevant only if the car is parked for 24 hours.