Suggestion Want option to permanently disable ELDA (Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

nonStopSwagger

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
[MOD NOTE - conversation pulled from original LDA/ELDA thread]

Tesla need to allow disabling emergency lane departure avoidance permanently, or at least turn off the loud noise it makes.

Anyone who lives in the Northeast can attest to pot holes after the winter. My car goes off multiple times every trip as I dodge them on empty NH back roads, briefly crossing the white line near the edge of the road.

Last edited by a moderator:

sduck

Country
Country
You can disable it permanently. I turned it on at first after this update, just to see what it was all about, didn't like it, and turned it off, and it's stayed off (for 3 days now).
Edit: Maybe I'm referring to the wrong thing. Will have to check my car and see which one it was I turned off.

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
12.2.1 I don’t want lane departure mandatory feature... I’m a pain in the @ss I suppose I don’t want any mandatory features where the car takes control

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
12.2.1 I don’t want lane departure mandatory feature... I’m a pain in the @ss I suppose I don’t want any mandatory features where the car takes control
To be clear, it's not mandatory. But you must switch it off at the beginning of each drive. It's a PITA for sure, but it's NOT mandatory, which I would be vehemently opposed to. So far I'm not in love with it but I'm leaving it on for now to see how obtrusive it is in daily driving. Willing to give it a fair shake.

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
To be clear, it's not mandatory. But you must switch it off at the beginning of each drive. It's a PITA for sure, but it's NOT mandatory, which I would be vehemently opposed to. So far I'm not in love with it but I'm leaving it on for now to see how obtrusive it is in daily driving. Willing to give it a fair shake.
Semantics. A settings which does not respect my preference and continues to reset against that preference is in effect mandatory

Further, if I want any other firmware updates I am forced to take those as well.. I don’t see choice here

Last edited:

Model3VT

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Emergency Lane Departure should NOT be on by default. I discovered this the hard way when it went off with absolutely nothing around my car. After the 4th time, called Tesla. Rather than tell me about the update notes, they suggested a reset or hard reset (i.e. Did you try turning it off and on). I feel that customer service should have recognized what I was describing. I found the answer on a forum. Lessons learned:
1. Read release notes carefully
2. Check forums for answers before calling Tesla
I will turn it off for every drive for now but expect that Tesla will fix this soon in an update.
That being said - Still LOVE my Model 3!

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I maintain that this feature, any feature, should be set up as opt-in vs opt-out. Turn it off if you so choose and have that choice be respected.

Even just using AP, when I am extra vigilant, I do not appreciate the sensation of having to countermand the car's steering input for correction. Just too stressful so I mostly don't use autopilot..

customersupport@tesla.com if you feel the choice should be yours vs Tesla

PaulK

Country
Country
I maintain that this feature, any feature, should be set up as opt-in vs opt-out. Turn it off if you so choose and have that choice be respected.

Even just using AP, when I am extra vigilant, I do not appreciate the sensation of having to countermand the car's steering input for correction. Just too stressful so I mostly don't use autopilot..

customersupport@tesla.com if you feel the choice should be yours vs Tesla
I wrote a similar note to Tesla. Thanks for the suggestion.

I included a note about ANY new feature added to a car I own - I expect the new feature to come with a setting option to retain “legacy” functionality.

I love my Model 3, and I know it won’t grow power motorized seat belts overnight (remember those?)... but gosh I worry about the possibilities of having to acknowledge a lawyer nag screen every time I use the Nav, or having the Nav keyboard greyed out while moving, or some other “safety feature” being added that I cannot roll back.

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I Love the lane departure avoidance! We have similar feature on our 2017 Subaru outback. Awesome how Tesla pushes these new features out!
Cool - and Tesla giving others the option to turn it off permanently will in no way effect your ability to keep loving that feature :)

BostonPilot

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
If I were able to turn it off permanently, I probably would have done that after my first drive with it - and I wouldn’t have the benefit of now observing it “behaving” the majority of the time.
I'm annoyed at having to turn it (ELDA) off every time. What convinced me to leave it off was an incident about a week ago in Concord MA. There's a place where Route 62 and Elm street fork... there was a car waiting to take the left fork, while I needed to take the right fork. As I went to the right of the stopped car, ELDA triggered and turned the wheel towards the parked car. I was able to overpower it in time, but it could have easily caused a collision. I'd rather depart a lane than hit a car or pedestrian, thank you very much.

I'll definitely send a message to customersupport@tesla.com and complain - I want to be able to turn it off permanently after that encounter...

Last edited:

Arktctr

Country
Country
I think Tesla should dial it back by allowing us to turn it off permanently. Seems like every other day when it goes off I mutter damn I forgot to turn off f&$#*(g ELDA.
Did this change now in the latest release (I’m on 2019.20.2.1) to not default to on? Since the update when I get in the car it is just on warning vs assist by default.

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did this change now in the latest release (I’m on 2019.20.2.1) to not default to on? Since the update when I get in the car it is just on warning vs assist by default.
You're saying that ELDA is off now and you just get a reminder that they want you to turn it on? That would be great, love confirmation from anyone else...

Arktctr

Country
Country
You're saying that ELDA is off now and you just get a reminder that they want you to turn it on? That would be great, love confirmation from anyone else...
Just to clarify, I set this to only warn (steering wheel vibration) but not assist and it hasn’t changed itself back to assist as default as it original worked.

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hmm ok, so I'm still (by choice) on the older software where lane departure was only a warning and never could steer. I had it on but it vibrated so often when not needed I turned it off. I never see any start up warnings that it is off..

Any chance I can trouble you to take a screen shot of the relevant settings? thanks

Arktctr

Country
Country
Hmm ok, so I'm still (by choice) on the older software where lane departure was only a warning and never could steer. I had it on but it vibrated so often when not needed I turned it off. I never see any start up warnings that it is off..

Any chance I can trouble you to take a screen shot of the relevant settings? thanks
I will be back to my car this afternoon and can take a screen shot and post. I actually just got update to 2019.20.4.1 since my original response too so don’t know if this behavior will change on this new version or not.

Arktctr

Country
Country
After looking further sitting in the car again, it was LDA that was holding previous setting, not ELDA. Apologies for the confusion.

HCD3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just got 20.4.1 still unable to permanently turn off ELDA Arrg.