Wall connector worth it?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Chip Douglas

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Getting an electrician to come in and install a NEMA outlet. Should I consider adding the wall connector? Would this change the installation at all? Even better, is the connector worth it?

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got one. Outside the aesthetics, probably not worth it unless you plan on taking the mobile connector with you. Then it’s probably the small cost difference to get the wall connector.

MartyF

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the Tesla wall connector installed to the electrical panel using a 60 Amp breaker and that allows for a 48 Amp continuous charge rate.
This also allows for the Mobile Connector that came with your car.....to stay in your car in case you ever need it.

ADK46

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There are some practical considerations, like maximum charging rate, or whether you’ll want to keep a charging cord in the trunk. For me, it might have been more esthetic, from both visual and engineering senses. In other words, the WC better matches the car.

Chip Douglas

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There are some practical considerations, like maximum charging rate, or whether you’ll want to keep a charging cord in the trunk. For me, it might have been more esthetic, from both visual and engineering senses. In other words, the WC better matches the car.
Ha. Yea I get it. Does it change the installation at all? Or if I decided to purchase after the fact will it require professional installation aka more money?

MartyF

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Chip Douglas
For me, the Tesla wall connector was the best way to go and it does maximize your charge rate at 48 Amp continuous.
You would need to have it professionally installed by an electrician directly to the electrical panel using a 60 Amp breaker.
This would need to be done additionally to any Nema outlet installation, in order to obtain the 48 Amp maximum charge rate. So it will be more expensive to do it after the fact. If you have the Tesla Wall charger installed from the start, you won’t need to pay for the NEMA outlet and can apply that savings toward the wall connector installation.

Last edited:

Chip Douglas

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Excuse my ignorance. Does this mean it needs to be placed right near the box? Currently where I would be installing nema outlet is a bit out of the ways from the box (they would be running the wire). Does that max a difference?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here’s a video I did converting from NEMA 14-50 to Tesla Wall Charger knowing you want the wall charger “could” mean a different breaker and power needs. From a “worth it” perspective. I probably wouldn’t have bought it if I didn’t win it and I have 2 cars to charge.

Last edited:

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Excuse my ignorance. Does this mean it needs to be placed right near the box? Currently where I would be installing nema outlet is a bit out of the ways from the box (they would be running the wire). Does that max a difference?

It can make a difference, mostly folks have found that installing a Tesla charger becomes more expensive than a 14-50, just because an electrician see something expensive and thinks the person can afford. it.

The NEMA 14-50 plug is infinitely more flexible and cheaper. You can plug non-Tesla EVs into it, motor homes, welders and a variety of stuff. An additional UMC (so that you can leave one in the car) is cheaper than the HPWS.

Gordon87

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ha. Yea I get it. Does it change the installation at all? Or if I decided to purchase after the fact will it require professional installation aka more money?
I had a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed because I don’t drive enough to need the extra charging rate of the Tesla wall charger. However, I had the electrician install wiring in the new conduit which would support the 60 amp Tesla wall charger so I could more easily upgrade in the future if my driving habits change. For me, it wasn’t a huge amount to have the upgraded wiring installed.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It can make a difference, mostly folks have found that installing a Tesla charger becomes more expensive than a 14-50, just because an electrician see something expensive and thinks the person can afford. it.

The NEMA 14-50 plug is infinitely more flexible and cheaper. You can plug non-Tesla EVs into it, motor homes, welders and a variety of stuff. An additional UMC (so that you can leave one in the car) is cheaper than the HPWS.
There is also the complexity of taking apart and reassembling the wall charger which is more complex than wiring the outlet and time is money when it comes to labor.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You can have an electrician run a NEMA 14-50 using #6 wires. That’d support the wall connector in the future. Then you’d just need to replace the outlet with a wall connector and the 50A breaker with a 60A one.

MNScott

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The Wall Connector should not be modified to plug into a 14-50 style outlet. It should be direct wired to a 60a circuit breaker. That does not mean that it has to be "close" to the breaker box...distance from the breaker box could require a heavier wire than normal (normal for a 60a breaker is 6ga...you may need 4ga depending on distance of the wire run). For Time of Use programs with your utility, there is often a requirement that whatever charging source you are using be secured such that the ONLY thing that it can be used for is charging your EV. Check with your utility to see if that is a requirement. Good luck!

Scott

MNScott

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You can have an electrician run a NEMA 14-50 using #6 wires. That’d support the wall connector in the future. Then you’d just need to replace the outlet with a wall connector and the 50A breaker with a 60A one.
Careful - depends on the length of the wire run. Longer wire runs could require a heavier wire. Plus, here in MN an outlet in the garage must be connected to a GFCI breaker and those are pricier than a normal breaker. Significantly more if you need arc fault (quite new home) - those will be well over $100.

Scott

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the help everyone. I’ll probably just go with the nema outlet as my usual commute is anywhere between 30-75 miles depending if I decide to take public transportation to avoid city traffic.
That’s more than enough. We have 2 Model 3’s going 70-75 miles a day and the NEMA 14-50 covered both with ease.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
We installed a Tesla Wall Connector and a spare NEMA 14-50 outlet on another wall in our carport. Then we decided to get another Model 3 (because we both liked the first one so much). So now we charge one from the Tesla WC and one from a Version 1 Mobile Connector I bought from a forum member so I could leave the included Mobile Connector in the trunk for contingencies.

They are both generally fast enough for our needs (although occasionally it would be nice to have a faster solution than the 48 amps the on-board charger allows). This situation arises when we are leaving on a trip and would like a full charge but we need to run some errands first. But that's not a big deal, we just set it to 48 amps and whatever we get is what we leave with. We get 48 amps from the WC and 40 amps from the Version 1 MC. But here's the deal: It's infinitely more satisfying to plug in using the heavy cable from the Wall Connector. I can't explain it but the thin cable of the Mobile Connector just isn't as satisfying. I think it's because the thicker cable of the WC resembles a gas hose and has a satisfying heft to it. Call me crazy but it's just not as satisfying to plug in using the thin cable of the Mobile Connector! And we really do like the fact that both of our cars have the Mobile Connector in the trunk without having to deal with packaging it up each trip.

Now I've received a Signature Edition WC in the mail and will be installing that on an outdoor pedestal at our ski cabin when the snow is gone (and when I get a round tuit). ;)

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Now I've received a Signature Edition WC in the mail and will be installing that on an outdoor pedestal at our ski cabin when the snow is gone (and when I get a round tuit). ;)
Assuming your carport is more protected from the elements, I suggest swapping the signature edition faceplate with your current WC faceplate.

Jim Brown

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the Tesla wall connector installed to the electrical panel using a 60 Amp breaker and that allows for a 48 Amp continuous charge rate.
This also allows for the Mobile Connector that came with your car.....to stay in your car in case you ever need it.
Boom! Exactly why I got the Wall Connector. I can keep the Mobile Connector in the car and don't have to worry about packing and unpacking it whenever I leave home. The Wall Connector cost $500, but my electric company was giving a $750 rebate for installing a home charging station. So actually I made $250 on the deal. I have a 30 amp breaker, but it's been more than adequate. Putting on 22 miles per hour when I charge.