Wall Connector with a Plug?

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anyone installed their Wall Connector with a pigtail? Meaning did you add a plug to the unit to plug it in to an existing outlet? If so, was that easy and where did you get the plug?
Thanks!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
TMC has a nice FAQ on home charging:
FAQ: Home Tesla charging infrastructure Q&A

And the one Q&A is relevant:

CAN I ATTACH A CORD AND PLUG TO MY HPWC AT THE 50A SETTING?

In several threads on this forum, some have asked whether they may use their HPWC plugged into a NEMA 14-50 receptacle; this would allow them to unplug it and use their UMC in case of a wall connector failure.

Technically, there is nothing in the NEC that prohibits the practice; Tesla's instructions don't explicitly call for only permanent wiring methods, and article 625 permits 240V devices to be plug-and-cord devices as long as they're "fastened in place". The only restriction is that the segment of cord prior to the ground fault protection (HPWC) must be a maximum of 12 inches in length (NEC 625.17(A)(3)(a)). Proper connectors, clamps, and strain relief connectors must be used.

When consulted on the compliance of such a solution, several municipal and county inspectors have determined the practice to be legal based on the current instructions published by Tesla, and the NEC's requirements.

However, when consulted, Tesla expressed concerns about the practice. The charging team responded to an inquiry with an explanation that the HPWC is designed to be mounted on a wall or post and wired using permanent wiring methods. There are concerns that a power cord could be yanked from the HPWC's terminals and expose live wires if, for example, someone or something grabbed the cord and yanked.

A suggestion was made that Tesla note in the instruction/installation manual that permanent wiring methods are required, which would then be required by the NEC per section 110.3.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Have you also considered simply removing the 14-50 outlet and replacing it with the HPWC?

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Have you also considered simply removing the 14-50 outlet and replacing it with the HPWC?
That is a thought. Based on its position tho, it would be too low the ground. I have a pigtail to a J1772 Charger now there and it works great. But we are considering some car juggling that may involving moving stuff around and would be an opportunity to upgrade to a wall connector

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I considered this when I was having mine installed and talked to my electrician about it. He said he could wire it to a cord and install a 14-50 (which I didn’t already have), but he was very hesitant and in a couple different ways said “if it were my house, I’d just hard wire it like it was designed to be”.
My thought was if I moved, it could easily be unplugged and taken with no extra effort. In the end I went with hard wiring it and will deal with the extra 15 minutes it may take if I do end up moving. If I already had the 14-50 I may have thought more about it.

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Perhaps just buy a spare UMC. They’re pretty cheap at $300, and fast enough for normal use.

Last edited:

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Perhaps just buy a spare UMC. They’re pretty cheap at $300, and fast enough for normal use.
well duh. Guess I could do that! That is faster than the 30 amp unit I have now anyway. But kinda depends on what else ends up in the garage

Pescakl1

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Has anyone installed their Wall Connector with a pigtail? Meaning did you add a plug to the unit to plug it in to an existing outlet? If so, was that easy and where did you get the plug?
Thanks!
That is my plan.

Since, we need to go to an licensed electrician to get the rebate for the installation, one will come next week to do the installation.

He came on Thursday to see the work to do, show him all what I bought (WC, 6ft pigtail from GE) and ask him if he could do all the work (install the pigtail on the WC and install a 50A breaker as they usually put a 40A for a NEMA 14-50 planned for a EVSE).

He said no problem, he will do all the work I asked (was worried he would refused with all what was written on the forum).

I will report back here when it is done with photos of the installation.

skygraff

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Another option my Tesla recommended electrician suggested was to hard wire the HPWC to the 14-50 box. His only caveat being that I'd need to only use one at a time (clearly label it).

He left me extra wire so I could do it myself (plan was to mount it flush to the top of the box so no need for insulating wrap or conduit). I haven't done it yet since the UMC is fine and I neither have guests needing to charge non-Teslas nor do I have thieves trying to take my UMC (so far).

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'v got a 14-50 plug installed and although I really like the HPWC looks, I only have a 50 amp breaker so I'm thinking I'll just purchase a second adapter like comes with the car. $200 savings and will do the job just fine.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'v got a 14-50 plug installed and although I really like the HPWC looks, I only have a 50 amp breaker so I'm thinking I'll just purchase a second adapter like comes with the car.
I suggest not bothering with the purchase of a second one. I'm planning to use the one that comes with the car. I'll just leave it in the garage plugged in.

If I go on a road trip, I'll unplug it and take it with me. But otherwise, there's no need to have the Mobile Connector with you in the car for day-to-day use.

azentropy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I suggest not bothering with the purchase of a second one. I'm planning to use the one that comes with the car. I'll just leave it in the garage plugged in.

If I go on a road trip, I'll unplug it and take it with me. But otherwise, there's no need to have the Mobile Connector with you in the car for day-to-day use.
This is my plan currently as I figure anytime I need to charge away from home would probably be a planned trip or somewhere they would have a supercharger or somewhere that would just require the J1772 adapter (like free charging at Kohls).

If they do end up releasing a wall connector with a built in 14-50 plug that has been rumored (like the one that was I guess accidentally released into the wild) for a reasonable price I might bite, but that is down the road. Need to build up some $/savings again since I decided to go with the LR model NOW instead of the SR model and blew past my budget! ;) Did save about $1000 from the estimates I was getting on getting a wall connector instead of just getting the 14-50 outlet (actually more like $1450 since the first two estimates I got for even a 14-50 outlet were very high).

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

This is my plan currently as I figure anytime I need to charge away from home would probably be a planned trip or somewhere they would have a supercharger or somewhere that would just require the J1772 adapter (like free charging at Kohls).

If they do end up releasing a wall connector with a built in 14-50 plug that has been rumored (like the one that was I guess accidentally released into the wild) for a reasonable price I might bite, but that is down the road. Need to build up some $/savings again since I decided to go with the LR model NOW instead of the SR model and blew past my budget! ;) Did save about $1000 from the estimates I was getting on getting a wall connector instead of just getting the 14-50 outlet (actually more like $1450 since the first two estimates I got for even a 14-50 outlet were very high).
@garsh - I'm really with you on using the single charger and saving the $300 bucks. While I'm not too forgetful, I just know that I'd set out to my mom's in Oklahoma and forget it one day. I just like the idea of having one with me at all times. My mom has a 14-50 installed outside of her garage for the RV they used to have, so I've got a perfect set up if I've got my cable. If I forget it she is about 50 miles from the SC in Oklahoma City and my chances of finding a cable or charger in the town she lives in could be slim to none. So $300 is my peace of mind for always having it with me.

@azentropy - What you describe is exactly what I wanted for home. I followed the thread of what you are describing and I think that seems to be the device our neighbors to the North were getting when they would order for their rebates. There was something similar to that on eBay - one guy sold about 190 of them. Everyone said they had been shipped from Tesla in official packaging, but no one could find the exact same thing to order directly from Tesla. I kept checking the ebay listing to see if any more ever popped up and eventually the whole thing was deleted, no history, nothing. Ideally that is what I want for home, so I may hold out a few more months before purchasing. Is this the same charger you were speaking of?

azentropy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@azentropy - What you describe is exactly what I wanted for home. I followed the thread of what you are describing and I think that seems to be the device our neighbors to the North were getting when they would order for their rebates. There was something similar to that on eBay - one guy sold about 190 of them. Everyone said they had been shipped from Tesla in official packaging, but no one could find the exact same thing to order directly from Tesla. I kept checking the ebay listing to see if any more ever popped up and eventually the whole thing was deleted, no history, nothing. Ideally that is what I want for home, so I may hold out a few more months before purchasing. Is this the same charger you were speaking of?
I believe so... this one:

Unboxing an Unannounced Tesla Product! Would You Buy One?

Don't know if it is still coming, or they weren't able to hit the price point they were hoping for, decided (incorrectly IMO) that it wasn't really needed, or haven't released it for some other reason.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Gatornail

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks!
The Tesla certified electrician I used to install my nema outlet said that he could do it easily and that it would not cause any issues. I didn’t have it done because I’m just going to use the UMC, but if I get the wall charger later I’ll have the electrician put a pigtail on so I can easily move the Wall charger if I move houses.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country

I'm far too spontaneous to leave home without a mobile connector in the trunk. If my plans changed, or there was a family emergency, I might need to drive all the way back home (just to pick up my mobile connector)!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As far as I can tell, the Tesla HPWC is designed for hard wiring. I have a 14/50 outlet, and would want to modify the charger so it can be plugged in there. Has anyone done that?