Wall Connector - charging at no full capacity???

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hi, just have our M3 - AWD.

I connected it to the Wall Connector at home ( 60A breaker) and the AMPS charging rate is only 16A when 48A should be the number.

Anyone has a clue on how to debug this?

Thanks

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Is this your first time using the wall connector? Did you properly set the dip switches inside? Do a quick review, I believe you have dip switches inside of it to properly set for the power you are connected to.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks for your replies... yes, first time usine it.

It was just finaly ... a « man » error. I hadn’t pushed it all the way through into the receptacle.

:)

Now, full 48A.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
For future reference, there is a thermocouple in the end of the wall connector plug and another thermocouple in the cars charge port. If too much heat builds in either of these areas the charge current will be reduced or stopped altogether. Resistance will cause heat and things that could cause resistance include dust, dirt, oily residues, and smooshed spiders or other bugs.

There is a temptation to just lay the charge plug over the top of the wall connector but this leaves the contacts inside subject to bugs/dirt. So always plug it into the receptacle provided on the right side of the wall connector which is designed to keep spiders and other debris from finding it's way into the end of the connector. Because 48 amps at 240V is a LOT of power going through a small area. :cool:

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
With wall charger, what was the rate of charge (miles / hr)? My current setup is NEMA 14-50, gets 28-30 mi / hr.

I'm considering wall charger because it's simpler to use.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
With wall charger, what was the rate of charge (miles / hr)? My current setup is NEMA 14-50, gets 28-30 mi / hr.

I'm considering wall charger because it's simpler to use.
At 48 amps you should get about 46 mi/hr. And yes, the simplicity of the wall connector is a compelling advantage. I know the Mobile Connector is almost as easy to use but I like to keep it inside the trunk (in the "basement" compartment).

ADK46

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It seems to me that people who can find $60K for a car ought to be able to find another $0.5K for a Wall Connector. It will improve the Tesla experience well beyond the 1% extra cost. It resembles a gas pump ($0.89/gallon) and has flashing green LEDs!