Wall charging unit installation

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Have you recently installed or received a quote from an electrician to install a Tesla wall connector and appropriate 240 volt 60 amp socket, etc needed, in the greater Seattle area? I’m looking to install the wall connector close to my circuit breaker box in the garage and looking for recommendations on electricians (Tesla certified preferred) who did a good job at a reasonable cost - versus cold calling from the Tesla electricians list:

Would like to know the following details:
1) name of electrician
2) cost (I know it varies depending on location of charger, etc)
3) what amp?

If others want to install, happy to try for a group discount. :)

Thanks

M3MD

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I called nearly every electrician listed on Tesla's website and had less than stellar experiences with all of them. Prices and time estimates were way out of line with the scope of my job.

I used Jason from EV support.(https://evsupport.com) its a division of Puget Sound Solar.
Total cost was $565 (included my city permit, installing the Tesla wall connector and a 50A circuit in my garage)
No tax, it's exempt (in Washington) if you fill out the attached form and give it to them.
Jason's customer service was top notch! He showed up right on time and made very quick work of the install. He is very knowledgeable about all things EV and solar. I highly recommend using this company.

Attachments

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I called nearly every electrician listed on Tesla's website and had less than stellar experiences with all of them. Prices and time estimates were way out of line with the scope of my job.

I used Jason from EV support.(https://evsupport.com) its a division of Puget Sound Solar.
Total cost was $565 (included my city permit, installing the Tesla wall connector and a 50A circuit in my garage)
No tax, it's exempt (in Washington) if you fill out the attached form and give it to them.
Jason's customer service was top notch! He showed up right on time and made very quick work of the install. He is very knowledgeable about all things EV and solar. I highly recommend using this company.
Appreciate the detail. I knew that for some reason I would encounter what you encountered - unprofessionalism or low trust on capabilities. I have ordered my wall connector from Tesla online, but no idea when it will come. Thanks

M3MD

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Appreciate the detail. I knew that for some reason I would encounter what you encountered - unprofessionalism or low trust on capabilities. I have ordered my wall connector from Tesla online, but no idea when it will come. Thanks
I ordered my wall connector online also, It arrived in 7 days.

oey192

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had my HPWC installed by Puget Sound Solar when they put in my solar system last month. They did a good job and only charged $350 for the installation (same cost for anywhere without 6 feet of my breaker box. Farther would have cost more). This was of course in addition to the cost of the solar system. They probably didn’t need to get a dedicated permit for the EVSE since they were doing a bunch of other electrical work at the same time so I would expect a higher cost (like the $565 that M3MD reported or higher if you need it far away from your electric panel)

I opened the unit up after they left and confirmed that they set the charger to the correct setting for the amperage of the breaker they installed. I haven’t tested it with a Tesla yet but it works great (via an adapter) for my Leaf (6.6kW onboard charger)

As @M3MD mentioned, EV support is a division of Puget Sound Solar so they should offer the same experience. I am terrible with names so I don’t remember if the electrician who installed the charger was Jason or not…

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had my HPWC installed by Puget Sound Solar when they put in my solar system last month. They did a good job and only charged $350 for the installation (same cost for anywhere without 6 feet of my breaker box. Farther would have cost more). This was of course in addition to the cost of the solar system. They probably didn’t need to get a dedicated permit for the EVSE since they were doing a bunch of other electrical work at the same time so I would expect a higher cost (like the $565 that M3MD reported or higher if you need it far away from your electric panel)

I opened the unit up after they left and confirmed that they set the charger to the correct setting for the amperage of the breaker they installed. I haven’t tested it with a Tesla yet but it works great (via an adapter) for my Leaf (6.6kW onboard charger)

As @M3MD mentioned, EV support is a division of Puget Sound Solar so they should offer the same experience. I am terrible with names so I don’t remember if the electrician who installed the charger was Jason or not…
thanks oey192... Looks like we ordered the same configuration of the car with the same color on the same date 4/15 :)

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Can you tell me which adapter you are using for the Leaf?
Since you are gonna use this on both cars, what settings are you using?
Do you have the wall unit set to 40amps for the 3 and the Leaf is ok with that?

oey192

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
thanks oey192... Looks like we ordered the same configuration of the car with the same color on the same date 4/15 :)
Cool! I’m really hoping for delivery before the end of May. I wanted AWD but the prospect of getting the whole federal tax credit and hopefully the WA state tax exemption persuaded me to get RWD

Can you tell me which adapter you are using for the Leaf?
Since you are gonna use this on both cars, what settings are you using?
Do you have the wall unit set to 40amps for the 3 and the Leaf is ok with that?
I’m using a “TeslaTap” adapter. It looks like they lowered the price from $250 to $240 since I bought it.
My HPWC is on a 60A breaker and it is set to the 60A setting. The Leaf charges at 6.6kW as determined by its onboard charger. For Level 1 and 2 charging (aka charging that uses the vehicle’s onboard charger), the maximum power provided by whatever charger you’re using just has to be greater than the minimum power required by the vehicle’s charger. At that point the vehicle dictates how much power it wants so the HPWC doesn’t fry the Leaf

I won’t actually use the charger for both cars at the same time since I’ll be trading the Leaf in for the Model 3 but I don’t need to make any modifications to my charging setup other than take the adapter off the HPWC (its difficult to put on and remove — it’s a tight fit, probably 3D printed to the exact dimensions of the Tesla connector)

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Cool! I’m really hoping for delivery before the end of May. I wanted AWD but the prospect of getting the whole federal tax credit and hopefully the WA state tax exemption persuaded me to get RWD

I’m using a “TeslaTap” adapter. It looks like they lowered the price from $250 to $240 since I bought it.
My HPWC is on a 60A breaker and it is set to the 60A setting. The Leaf charges at 6.6kW as determined by its onboard charger. For Level 1 and 2 charging (aka charging that uses the vehicle’s onboard charger), the maximum power provided by whatever charger you’re using just has to be greater than the minimum power required by the vehicle’s charger. At that point the vehicle dictates how much power it wants so the HPWC doesn’t fry the Leaf

I won’t actually use the charger for both cars at the same time since I’ll be trading the Leaf in for the Model 3 but I don’t need to make any modifications to my charging setup other than take the adapter off the HPWC (its difficult to put on and remove — it’s a tight fit, probably 3D printed to the exact dimensions of the Tesla connector)
That was what the reason for me as well. We need to take delivery before 5/31 to be eligible for the WA credit. And I hope as we get the fed tax credit as well.

oey192

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That was what the reason for me as well. We need to take delivery before 5/31 to be eligible for the WA credit. And I hope as we get the fed tax credit as well.
We (Washingtonians who manage to get the WA state tax exemption) will get the full federal tax credit unless it gets repealed by the government. As the current law stands, it's guaranteed through the end of September of this year. If we're* lucky the full credit will last through the end of the year but I'm not counting on it.

* By "we" I mean all the people who will take delivery of their Tesla between Oct 1st and Dec 31st of this year

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We (Washingtonians who manage to get the WA state tax exemption) will get the full federal tax credit unless it gets repealed by the government. As the current law stands, it's guaranteed through the end of September of this year. If we're* lucky the full credit will last through the end of the year but I'm not counting on it.

* By "we" I mean all the people who will take delivery of their Tesla between Oct 1st and Dec 31st of this year

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, you are correc on the Federal tax credit. I should have been more clear - I meant the WA states sales tax credit which ends May 31st.

" The sales and use tax exemption for clean alternative fuel, electric, and plug-in hybrid vehicles expires June 1, 2018, and the last day to use this exemption is May 31, 2018. What this means is that you must take delivery of the vehicle by May 31, 2018 to claim the exemption."

link:
https://dor.wa.gov/content/clean-alternative-fuel-and-plug-hybrid-vehicles-salesuse-tax-exemptions

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Thanks for the information @M3MD. I didn't know that you could fill out the tax exemption form to save on the install. I'm assuming you just checked box 2B, filled out the bottom and you are good to go? You don't need to be a business, have an account ID or anything special to do this? I just want to make sure that I don't hit up the electrician I hired with this form and they throw it back at me saying I can't use it.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the information @M3MD. I didn't know that you could fill out the tax exemption form to save on the install. I'm assuming you just checked box 2B, filled out the bottom and you are good to go? You don't need to be a business, have an account ID or anything special to do this? I just want to make sure that I don't hit up the electrician I hired with this form and they throw it back at me saying I can't use it.
there is info in post #1 in the Washington fees and credit thread.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks a lot @MelindaV!!!! I appreciate you clearing things up for me. This seems pretty darn easy to use and I plan on using it for my electrical install for sure. Taxes on $480 saves enough to help pay for other things I want for the car.
when I installed mine, my electrician sent a bill at the end of the month that included the sales tax. I sent in the form, check and marked the invoice with the new total and called a couple days later to confirm they were good and there was no problem (mostly check back in with them because they are based in Portland so was not sure they had much experience with this tax exemption form).
So, have it ready at the time of install in case the installer collects the payment, but if they bill it and include the tax, don't fret.

M3MD

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's all I did. The company I hired filled out the form and I signed it, super easy. :)

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Hmmm.. On the WA Dept of Revenue website it mentions 5/31/18.

" The sales and use tax exemption for clean alternative fuel, electric, and plug-in hybrid vehicles expires June 1, 2018, and the last day to use this exemption is May 31, 2018. What this means is that you must take delivery of the vehicle by May 31, 2018 to claim the exemption."

Thanks a lot @MelindaV!!!! I appreciate you clearing things up for me. This seems pretty darn easy to use and I plan on using it for my electrical install for sure. Taxes on $480 saves enough to help pay for other things I want for the car.
@Bambam14 - which electrician are you going with? Can you please provide their contact details? Are they charging $480? I'm planning to finalize that this weekend. Thanks

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hmmm.. On the WA Dept of Revenue website it mentions 5/31/18.

@Bambam14 - which electrician are you going with? Can you please provide their contact details? Are they charging $480? I'm planning to finalize that this weekend. Thanks
the item @oey192 was speaking to was the federal full $7500 tax credit. It will at least go thru September. (IE if you qualify for the state exemption that ends in May, you will get the full federal credit that at least goes thru September since may is before september ;) )
The state exemption will end this month (we shall see if the state legislators bring it back next year, but it is ending as we currently know it may 31st).
the state's EV infrestructure sales tax exemption runs thru 2020.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
the item @oey192 was speaking to was the federal full $7500 tax credit. It will at least go thru September. (IE if you qualify for the state exemption that ends in May, you will get the full federal credit that at least goes thru September since may is before september ;) )
The state exemption will end this month (we shall see if the state legislators bring it back next year, but it is ending as we currently know it may 31st).
the state's EV infrestructure sales tax exemption runs thru 2020.