Wall charger connector issue

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Craig Bennett

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So... very strange issue with my charger because I installed it about a year ago and it tested it with several rental cars. When it failed to work with my brand new Model 3 I opened it up to find the issue in the pic.

I installed it myself so logically I have to assume it was my failure but I inspected it before use and tested it several times.

But in any event, it is clearly not making a good connection with one of the lines because there is no pressure on it. What I cannot ascertain is if the screw is missing (although the good one seems to be captured and cannot be removed) or has somehow been screwed in too far and fallen out of position.

Anyone experienced this or VERY familiar with the pictured component? I’d like to avoid more damage if it can be salvaged.

Craig

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can you possible give a better or different angle? It looks like it may have melted.

Craig Bennett

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Both of you are right. It definitely melted due to a poor connection (my conjecture) and then "sunk" in to the plastic. I saw some pictures of a unit that was even worse. I hope, but am doubtful that Tesla will cover this under warranty and their only "solution" is a complete replacement.

Anyone know who makes this for Tesla?

Tchris

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Both of you are right. It definitely melted due to a poor connection (my conjecture) and then "sunk" in to the plastic. I saw some pictures of a unit that was even worse. I hope, but am doubtful that Tesla will cover this under warranty and their only "solution" is a complete replacement.

The electrician just installed mine and is about to fire it up here in a few minutes. I hope I don’t end up in the same situation!

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

If they/you replace it and you keep the old one, I would be interested in purchasing it from you. I would think you could find the connector and replace it with the help of a nice soldering station.

In the same vein, I'm sure you can fix it if you're comfortable with soldering or send it to someone for repair.

Craig Bennett

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If they/you replace it and you keep the old one, I would be interested in purchasing it from you. I would think you could find the connector and replace it with the help of a nice soldering station.

In the same vein, I'm sure you can fix it if you're comfortable with soldering or send it to someone for repair.
I’ll let you know if I end up with an extra one. If I don’t, I’ll be trying to find parts!

Tchris

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think the key is to make sure that the wires are very snugly captured. If the aren’t, they can arc and generate heat.
My installation went without a hitch. Went through the power-up cycle and got the green light. Of course I have nothing to plug it into yet, so there’s still an opportunity for failure.

ADK46

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Something I don't like about the terminals in a Wall Connector: they're tilted inwardly so you can't see what you're doing as you insert the wires, and can't be sure where they end up. In contrast, you can easily see the wires in the terminals for the breaker. The Wall Connector also requires that you strip more insulation off than for a breaker - 3/4". On my first try, I trapped insulation in the clamp without being able to see it. That would never happen for a breaker. Fortunately, I sensed something might be amiss, and corrected it. I almost didn't.

This might be what went wrong your install, Craig. I might still get out an inspection mirror to check mine before I use it. The things are sealed up, so the smell of burning insulation might not get out.

Craig Bennett

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Something I don't like about the terminals in a Wall Connector: they're tilted inwardly so you can't see what you're doing as you insert the wires, and can't be sure where they end up. In contrast, you can easily see the wires in the terminals for the breaker. The Wall Connector also requires that you strip more insulation off than for a breaker - 3/4". On my first try, I trapped insulation in the clamp without being able to see it. That would never happen for a breaker. Fortunately, I sensed something might be amiss, and corrected it. I almost didn't.

This might be what went wrong your install, Craig. I might still get out an inspection mirror to check mine before I use it. The things are sealed up, so the smell of burning insulation might not get out.

Totally agree, it is difficult to see what is going on in those terminals as you are trying to guide all three heavy gauge wires in to the correct positions.

I certainly had no idea that the terminal plastic had melted until the unit stopped lighting up and I opened it up to investigate.

69mustang

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I realize this thread is almost a year old, but I've run into the exact same problem. The same side of the terminal block has melted on my wall connector. I have scoured the internet looking for a replacement part and have come up empty. Were you able to find a new one or get it repaired?

Thanks!