Walk Up Unlock Disabled

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Perhaps I'm an idiot...ok I am definitely an idiot, but that's beside the point. Found this video today and was intrigued by how this functions. I assumed that you would have to unlock it from your phone or use the key card. Apparently not. This is how I will probably use the car all the time. Anyway, thought it was kind of cool and thought I would share.

Dan

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Perhaps I'm an idiot...ok I am definitely an idiot, but that's beside the point. Found this video today and was intrigued by how this functions. I assumed that you would have to unlock it from your phone or use the key card. Apparently not. This is how I will probably use the car all the time. Anyway, thought it was kind of cool and thought I would share.

Dan

Well, guess you can count me as an idiot also. I assumed if those settings were off you would have to use the key card or app to unlock the car. Very cool, great find!

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Dan

Very similar to the S as to whether or not the handles pop out on approach or not.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How did you lock the car since you turned 'walk away lock' off? That's my idiot question to this thread :)
OK, so how does this work in reverse. In other words if I exit the car and walk away door lock is disabled how do you physically lock the car? Sorry if this sounds stupic but for those of us that are not current Tesla owners we need to be edumacated!

Dan
The best thing to do is leave "Walk away Lock" set to on. Then as you leave with your cell phone the car locks. If this is not on you would need to use the app or touch the keycard to the B pillar to lock the car.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The best thing to do is leave "Walk away Lock" set to on. Then as you leave with your cell phone the car locks. If this is not on you would need to use the app or touch the keycard to the B pillar to lock the car.
Or hit the lock icon on the screen after you open the door but before exiting (?)

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
OK, so this brings up another thought. Is it possible to get locked out of your car? Let's say your phone is in the car, Bluetooth off. Both cards are in the glove compartment or in a drawer at home. Is there any way to lock yourself out? Believe me, if there is a way...I will find it! Accidently of course. ;)

Dan

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is how I will probably use the car all the time. Anyway, thought it was kind of cool and thought I would share.
I like that as well, except for the fact that I leave work after dark and when most of the parking lot is already empty, in a neighborhood with a near constant homeless population, most of whom I don’t worry about, but many you do not want to startle by sneaking up on. Having my lights come on before I’m all the way to the car seems a good way to let others know someone is there, plus the extra light is always good.

Edit: I guess my ideal would be the car wakes up and turns the lights on when you walk up but leave the doors locked until you push the handle.

Also thinking the walk up unlock happens much closer to the car than when I normally hit the button on my fob, so maybe the walk up lights to alert the homeless guy theory doesn’t really play out like on my current car without going into the app

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
This selection helps some people who frequently walk past their car at work or in their garage instead of the car constantly locking and unlocking and folding and unfolding mirrors. . There was a video of guy's Model X that was configured to open the door automatically on approach. He parked his car outside of his office and perhaps the car caught the signal and opened the door and a truck took off the door.

Also, there may be a slight increase in safety for James Bond types if you can reduce the time that your car is unlocked so someone can't jump into the passenger seat quickly if they are hiding on the other side of the car. (or if you park in unsafe areas)

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I like that as well, except for the fact that I leave work after dark and when most of the parking lot is already empty, in a neighborhood with a near constant homeless population, most of whom I don’t worry about, but many you do not want to startle by sneaking up on. Having my lights come on before I’m all the way to the car seems a good way to let others know someone is there, plus the extra light is always good.

Edit: I guess my ideal would be the car wakes up and turns the lights on when you walk up but leave the doors locked until you push the handle.

Also thinking the walk up unlock happens much closer to the car than when I normally hit the button on my fob, so maybe the walk up lights to alert the homeless guy theory doesn’t really play out like on my current car without going into the app
Honk the horn through the app. That'll wake 'em up!

Dan

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If I’m going to open the app, may as well turn the lights and heat on. Can you turn the lights on from the app, or just flash them?

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Or hit the lock icon on the screen after you open the door but before exiting (?)
That's a good question, I wonder if you can lock it from the screen and then close the door?

OK, so this brings up another thought. Is it possible to get locked out of your car? Let's say your phone is in the car, Bluetooth off. Both cards are in the glove compartment or in a drawer at home. Is there any way to lock yourself out? Believe me, if there is a way...I will find it! Accidently of course. ;)

Dan
I just checked the manual to see if it locks after a few minutes but didn't find anything. I think most people will lock themselves out by not having the keycard with them and then draining the phone battery. I can see that happening quite a bit. I've always had a "Hide-a-key" on all my cars and with the keycard that will be simple, just duct tape it somewhere out of sight.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would recommend leaving these settings on. It will allow the mirrors to be a quick check to confirm if the car is locked or not.

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I would recommend leaving these settings on. It will allow the mirrors to be a quick check to confirm if the car is locked or not.
The mirrors will still fold if the car is locked and unfold when unlocked regardless of being done automatically or by touching the handle, right? For me, I would much rather save the wear and tear on the mirror fold motors and door lock mechanism by locking and unlocking every time I walk past the car in my garage. Each to his/her own of course.

Dan

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The mirrors will still fold if the car is locked and unfold when unlocked regardless of being done automatically or by touching the handle, right? For me, I would much rather save the wear and tear on the mirror fold motors and door lock mechanism by locking and unlocking every time I walk past the car in my garage. Each to his/her own of course.

Dan
It seemed like (and I preface with I may be blind, crazy, or both)...

With walk up disabled the mirror remained tucked until you touch the door handle.

To that end, I can’t tell if the car is unlocked or not.

Unless the mirror being tucked means it is locked and it only unlocked due to proximity of the phone and touching the handle.

I’m spinning in circles :)

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
It seemed like (and I preface with I may be blind, crazy, or both)...

With walk up disabled the mirror remained tucked until you touch the door handle.

To that end, I can’t tell if the car is unlocked or not.

Unless the mirror being tucked means it is locked and it only unlocked due to proximity of the phone and touching the handle.

I’m spinning in circles :)
My understanding is that the mirrors only fold when the car is locked (or if you are in the car and fold them from the touchscreen). If the car is unlocked they open. Correct me if I am wrong all you lucky devils that have already taken delivery!

Dan