waiting for AWD?

Zippo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm a day 1 reservations holder in California, do not own a Tesla. My First Production date on the website says Dec-Feb. I was hoping to have AWD details by now to know if I should order First Production or wait for Dual Motor. If AWD isn't at least .4-.5 seconds faster to 60 than RWD LR, I'd consider going First Production.

Last edited:

Ip Man

Country
Country
You won't know until it is too late. Some things for sure-dual will be faster-how much-who knows.
It will be better handling-safer over all-better traction control.
my wife will be getting a 3d but not until they have worked out all the bugs. We aren't in any hurry for it.

Bouvguy

Country
Country
I'm in the same boat as Zippo. So why the stony silence on AWD? I remember reading somewhere that the Release Cars were AWD so I'm pretty sure Tesla knows the stats. Sure does make the decision making process more difficult.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So why the stony silence on AWD?
Because they don't know when they'll get around to producing them yet. They're still trying to figure out how to ramp up production of the current limited options.
I remember reading somewhere that the Release Cars were AWD so I'm pretty sure Tesla knows the stats. Sure does make the decision making process more difficult.
I believe the Alpha cars were AWD. Some of the Release Candidates were probably AWD too (I'd say the one or two spotted with 20" wheels were most definitely AWD).

Tesla is still in anti-sell mode for the Model 3. There's no reason for them to talk up something that people can't purchase yet. The same is going to hold true for AWD. Tesla can't produce or sell an AWD 3 yet, so there's no reason for them to start talking about it.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm a day 1 reservations holder in California, do not own a Tesla. My First Production date on the website says Dec-Feb. I was hoping to have AWD details by now to know if I should order First Production or wait for Dual Motor. If AWD isn't at least .4-.5 seconds faster to 60 than RWD LR, I'd consider going First Production.
I'm in the same situation as you. Unfortunately, based on what Tesla has done in the past, I do not expect to know the "official" specs/packaging/pricing of AWD until it goes to production in the spring. If we're lucky, we'll see a leak to Electrek a few weeks beforehand.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla is still in anti-sell mode for the Model 3. There's no reason for them to talk up something that people can't purchase yet. The same is going to hold true for AWD. Tesla can't produce or sell an AWD 3 yet, so there's no reason for them to start talking about it.
Agreed on Tesla not having a reason to sell an AWD 3 yet. That said, I do find it interesting that Elon re-tweeted someone's glowing response to the "Model 3 is the Coolest Car of 2017" review last night. That struck me as a shift in tone from his previous Model 3 tweets which were focused on anti-selling the car.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I completely understand your predicament @Zippo but I think we do know enough to answer your questions.

-AWD will certainly be faster, judging by past S releases at least .2 sec or more.

-Cost is the big question to know before ordering. Best to play it safe and consider it will bee $5000-6000 like the S.

-Timeframe is what no one can really answer. Tesla really has to get fully on top of first production before it even starts thinking about standard and AWD config. Be prepared to wait till summer at least.

If you are OK with waiting longer then you should be able to decide. You can always sit on your invite to configure and change your mind as time goes on.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Be cautious when talking about the future
"Be very careful about sharing ideas about where you want to take your business tomorrow, because it's the tomorrow that everybody is going to become fixated on. They're not going to appreciate enough who you are today, and you're going to have immense pressure to realize tomorrow faster than you otherwise would have. You may inadvertently shift focus from what's making you so successful today. Be warned that if you fail to continue to execute on today, you may not be around for tomorrow. That's what happened to us."

Quoted from Nick Woodman - CEO of GoPro

I believe Elon also practices restraint when discussing future features and products. Loose lips will only create more trouble.

Jayc

Country
Country
Sure does make the decision making process more difficult.
Tell you what, come to this side of the pond and it's just a simple matter of waiting another 18 months and even better, you get to pick either RWD, AWD or even possibly PAWD - the decision process can't get any simpler. What do you say?

Zippo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I completely understand your predicament @Zippo but I think we do know enough to answer your questions.

-AWD will certainly be faster, judging by past S releases at least .2 sec or more.

-Cost is the big question to know before ordering. Best to play it safe and consider it will bee $5000-6000 like the S.

-Timeframe is what no one can really answer. Tesla really has to get fully on top of first production before it even starts thinking about standard and AWD config. Be prepared to wait till summer at least.

If you are OK with waiting longer then you should be able to decide. You can always sit on your invite to configure and change your mind as time goes on.
Fair points. I'll end up waiting, I want the speed boost.

In other speculation, I think only way to differentiate AWD Model 3s will be red calipers. I will be surprised if they add any badges outside of the Tesla logo. I believe the 3 Electrek video taped a couple months ago was a "base" AWD, not a real "performance" model.

https://electrek.co/2017/10/17/tesla-model-3-performance-dual-motor-video-spotted-test-track/

EV-lution

Country
Country
Yep, just got my invite last week and thought I would pull the trigger right away, but now I am thinking AWD. One thing I like about RWD is how quiet it is. My MX has some noticeable motor whine from the front motor, while the RWD MS I got as a loaner did not. Otherwise all other advantages point toward AWD.

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would love to wait for an AWD 3, but being from NJ and a non-Tesla owner will almost certainly exclude me from the full $7.5k federal rebate. I'm reassuring myself that this will only be my 1st Tesla not my last, so next time i'll get EVERYTHING I want and this time at least i'll get more value by taking the full credit in a SR RWD. ;)

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Yep, just got my invite last week and thought I would pull the trigger right away, but now I am thinking AWD. One thing I like about RWD is how quiet it is. My MX has some noticeable motor whine from the front motor, while the RWD MS I got as a loaner did not. Otherwise all other advantages point toward AWD.
I am COMPLETELY pulling this out of thin air but the permanent magnets in the M3 may be quieter than the induction of the MX/MS. DEFINITELY after getting uncorked on my MX, the whine that you describe became much louder during harder acceleration.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am COMPLETELY pulling this out of thin air but the permanent magnets in the M3 may be quieter than the induction of the MX/MS. DEFINITELY after getting uncorked on my MX, the whine that you describe became much louder during harder acceleration.
On the other hand, there is some speculation that the "different architecture" comment may mean the front motor is not PM. Seems weird to do that—you'd expect just different gearing.

Side comment: Can't imagine what a 3 with a second identical PM up front would do. Monster!

EV-lution

Country
Country
Interesting hypothesis. Mine is loudest between 40-50 MPH. Of course premium sound solves all whine issues.;)

mservice

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is interesting discussion, and i’m now pondering should I wait or pull the trigger as soon as I get my email. I would really like to get the AWD, but I’m also getting antsy after seeing my first M3 and having the ability to sit in it. It is a nice car.. However, making my reservation on-line day one, non-Tesla east coast I was a January - March target until Tesla pushed that date to February - April. I have also noted that the latest groups who are getting their emails are showing that AWD will be available Spring ‘18. I’m still showing AWD will be late ‘18 as my delivery estimate. If indeed the AWD will be available Spring ‘18 I could wait because February - April isn’t that bad even if it was pushed to May. But, I’m beginning to think that the estimated delivery dates really don’t mean much right now. You will get your email when you get your email, and the distribution of AWD may well be determined on your geographical location rather than true availability. So, what to do? If it’s late ‘18 just accept it and buy, if it truly is Spring ‘18 That could be March - May and waiting would be a no-brainer.. it would be nice to have prices between the premium vs performance packages, but that doesn’t look like that’s going to happen. So, I’m going to get a nice IPA, sit back and watch a movie on Netflix and try to forget this until an email shows up, then make up my mind....

Ferd Ball

Country
Country
... If AWD isn't at least .4-.5 seconds faster to 60 than RWD LR, I'd consider going First Production.
I too want performance and live in sunny weather. Here are some things that I'm grappling with.

1) I currently drive a FWD turbo car. Traction is a problem in the first 2 gears. Traction control in an ICE car will bring it to its knees. If there is a traction issue with an EV, it should be much better in controlling traction while still providing power (I hope).
2) Change from the Eco tires to Michelin Pilot Super Sport Cup 2, or something. Better grip means better performance.
3) Sell the first edition and give up my rebates and buy the AWD?
4) Give it all up because the AWD and Performance/Ludicrous versions will be way out of my price range. Or go back to option 3 in a few years when prices go down.

mkg3

Country
Country
....Here are some things that I'm grappling with.

1) I currently drive a FWD turbo car. Traction is a problem in the first 2 gears. Traction control in an ICE car will bring it to its knees. If there is a traction issue with an EV, it should be much better in controlling traction while still providing power (I hope).
You do realize the weight transfer to the rear, as you accelerate, right? FWD in lower gears with less weight on the front wheels would result in what you're describing. Additionally, turbo lag, once kicks in, will send an impulse of power to the driving wheel and the transient condition at that point will increase the likelihood of breaking tire adhesion. On RWD TM3, you're transferring weight to the drive wheels rather than taking weight away from the driving wheels. Will not be the same issue.

If you break the adhesion limit of the tire, causing wheel spin, then you have a different issue to deal with.

2) Change from the Eco tires to Michelin Pilot Super Sport Cup 2, or something. Better grip means better performance.

You can but a step
below (Pilot Sport 2/3) will give you much more miles and better ride and is a practical application. TM3 is a sedan and its not Tesla Roadster 2.

3) Sell the first edition and give up my rebates and buy the AWD?
4) Give it all up because the AWD and Performance/Ludicrous versions will be way out of my price range. Or go back to option 3 in a few years when prices go down.
The last two are your personal value proposition so no one else can contribute to decide your dilemma there....