Volvo XC40 Recharge

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Volvo revealed their all electric XC40 today. I watched the live streaming of the reveal. The presentation was long on fluff and short on details. A few more details can now be seen online at the Volvo website.

The battery size is 78 kWh with a stated 400 km (249 mile) range, probably based on the overly optimistic European standard. No info on price.

I have the ICE version of this car (and is the last ICE I ever plan to buy). The small size makes it easily maneuverable but the back seat is surprisingly roomy and I have fit a lot in it. Little touches of hidden compartments, built in trash bin and clever storage options from the rear hatch make it very functional. The dash layout is clearly not as minimal as the model 3/Y, but it is actually like the X with the 2 screens (albeit much smaller). Just one extra row of buttons which can be useful.

Other than being electric, the only differences I noticed were:
  • Addition of frunk
  • Removal of front grill
  • Info in binnacle behind the steering wheel is reformatted
  • They strongly touted the change in the info-tainment system to an Android based system with OTA updates, but the formatting in the pictures online looks essentially like what I have.
  • They say they have totally redone pilot-assist. What I have in my Volvo is good enough to be helpful, but it doesn’t improve with time like Tesla. Perhaps Volvo’s new OTA updates will also apply to improving the new pilot assist.

• edit to correct battery capacity. Also noticed Volvo website now shows range at “+200 miles” while presentation had stated range of 400 km.

Last edited:

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Good for Volvo. I bet they are using the drivetrain from the Polestar 2, or maybe the BEV Lynk & Co SUV. Anything to give these otherwise nice looking SUVs some life over the corporate engines they currently use across the line. I've seen the Lynk SUV, and it seems perfectly sized to sell like hotcakes if it were in the US, but I haven't seen any progress over moving the brand over here like they intended. Maybe they just offer some affordable electric Volvos instead.

ladonnalr

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
So glad to see more EV's coming in the near future! This is good for the planet. I don't really think this will be a competitor to the Model Y because they are so different, instead it looks like a nice vehicle that will appeal to people who like the Volvo style.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The whole Recharge thing confuses me. They're using it for both Volvo EV's and PHEV's? Odd. And I'm a Volvo fan.

Also, the whole thing with Polestar being an EV brand...except for the Polestar 1. And then you have PHEV and EV volvos. Just....I don't get it.