VINS w/ Alledged Repaired Battery Cells

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So, per the Electrek article:
https://electrek.co/2018/08/15/tesla-whistleblower-saboteur-model-3-vin-punctured-battery-cells/

The Tripp guy has posted VINS of vehicles he claims have had punctured battery cells repaired. Anyone have a VIN on the list? If so, go get it checked immediately and report back, and go public with your findings ...so this man is exposed as the liar he is.

Credit to TMC post (linked below) for giving me the idea to post here.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/model-3-punctured-cell-martin-tripp-jpg.326082/

lascavarian

Country
Country
I wouldn’t do any thing unless Tesla says to do something. Tesla is the truth teller here not this guy. This guy is not your friend. This guy wants to create chaos and I see much point in helping him.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So, per the Electrek article:
https://electrek.co/2018/08/15/tesla-whistleblower-saboteur-model-3-vin-punctured-battery-cells/

The Tripp guy has posted VINS of vehicles he claims have had punctured battery cells repaired. Anyone have a VIN on the list? If so, go get it checked immediately and report back, and go public with your findings ...so this man is exposed as the liar he is.

Credit to TMC post (linked below) for giving me the idea to post here.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/model-3-punctured-cell-martin-tripp-jpg.326082/
would someone at the Gigafactory even have a cross reference to which battery pack went into which car? are the battery packs serial numbered? if they are, they would be trucked to Fremont, and installed in a VIN'd car there, not pre-assigned a car while it was still at the Gigafactory. did his computer hacking software access Fremont data too? I was under the impression it was specifically giga info being stolen.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
1) He keeps mixing up the words "modules" and "cells". It appears those are cases of modules being punctured, but not necessarily cells.

2) The packs are all - according to the docs he posted later - ones that had been repaired. By whatever process Tesla's engineers put forward.

3) The repair description for one (assumedly he picked one of the worst ones) is spelled out - in that one, a cell had been dented (not punctured). Apparently as a precaution they cut the wire bonds (the cell leads) that connected it to the PCB, then sealed the cell off from it with adhesive. This cell will now never charge nor discharge; it's inert dead mass. Tesla battery packs - by design - use thousands of cells specifically in order to be able to tolerate dead cells with minimal impact to range or performance.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So mine isn't on the list but these appear to be Legit VINS (at least in theory) as mine would fit in the last column with all digits except the last 4.
Reading this, what he proposes was done is preposterous.
There is no way they would do that. If they did so, he most probably would not be the only one reporting it.
Also, it would reduce the capacity of the pack and wouldn't it unbalance the modules and the wouldn't the car flag that as an issue?
IDK, I assume it would.
model-3-punctured-cell-martin-tripp-jpg.13180

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
For the record:

* There have been an estimated 68239 Model 3s produced to date
* The distribution over time followed the production ramp, so more were produced recently than long ago
* The average US driver drives about 12k miles per year
* People who get new cars tend to drive them more in their first year, and particularly the first months

Putting this together, IMHO, there's probably at least 300 million miles on Model 3s so far. There hasn't been a single fire or other safety problem with a Model 3 battery pack - even in accidents. The normal rate of fires in gasoline cars is one in around 20 million miles.

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Love the debunking by @MelindaV
Somebody else on TMC commented regarding the VINs saying they were produced over a 7 month period, which seems HIGHLY unlikely to have an issue manifest for so long. Also, I think someone else commented that the 7 months included dates in which this guy had already been fired! Take these two for what they're worth... internet posts that I've not verified, but AM SHARING! lol

@LUXMAN Glad your VIN isnt on the list, even if it is all FUD lies, it's still a relief! What evil lawyer for this man hates life so much they wanted us all to stress out for just the short period of time reading through the list for our cars and ping ponging back and forth between "this can't be true" and "...but what if it is."

@KarenRei Awesome data, as always. Love the detail about the gasoline car fires per mile! I felt compelled to reply specifically to you here as I gave you a "love it" but must explain that I'm not talking about loving when people's ICE vehicles catch fire!:eek:

Don't worry @lascavarian, nobody listens to me or takes me seriously anyway. Usually it's a "funny" or an "agree" vote and my posts vanish off into obscurity, ;)

Now if you'll all excuse me, I'm going to go take pictures of faulty components we're making here, stash those pics, get more over a period of 7 months, wait for them to be installed in their end item deliverable, wait for those to be delivered to our end use customer and then WHISTLEBLOW this whole SHABANG! o_O

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
. Also, I think someone else commented that the 7 months included dates in which this guy had already been fired!
I looked at that too, and there was at least one (assigned) from late June(he was fired 6/19), but we all know they were stashing cars to be delivered after Q2, so I abandoned that train of thought.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I'm just noticing that nobody in this thread has brought up that Tripp's lawyer was trying to backtrack and claim that Tripp's account was hacked.

Yet Linette Lopez wrote an article about what Tripp claimed, and claimed to have sourced it from him ;)

"Tripp tweeted screenshots of dozens of Tesla vehicle identification numbers. He claimed those cars contained damaged battery modules, and he further claimed an errant robot puncturing cells and affecting battery modules. He told Business Insider that this was related to a robot that malfunctioned in February. Tesla previously confirmed to Business Insider that an incident with a malfunctioning robot occurred in February but said it had affected fewer parts than Tripp claimed and denied that any batteries were then reworked and put into cars, as Tripp claims."

So his lawyer sent Linette a "we need to talk" message:

Now he's reversed and is claiming the messages are legit. ;)

Is he just now noticing that his client is off the leash? People sure as heck warned him...

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm just noticing that nobody in this thread has brought up that Tripp's lawyer was trying to backtrack and claim that Tripp's account was hacked.

Yet Linette Lopez wrote an article about what Tripp claimed, and claimed to have sourced it from him ;)

"Tripp tweeted screenshots of dozens of Tesla vehicle identification numbers. He claimed those cars contained damaged battery modules, and he further claimed an errant robot puncturing cells and affecting battery modules. He told Business Insider that this was related to a robot that malfunctioned in February. Tesla previously confirmed to Business Insider that an incident with a malfunctioning robot occurred in February but said it had affected fewer parts than Tripp claimed and denied that any batteries were then reworked and put into cars, as Tripp claims."

So his lawyer sent Linette a "we need to talk" message:

Now he's reversed and is claiming the messages are legit. ;)

Is he just now noticing that his client is off the leash? People sure as heck warned him...
That LIEnette Lopez article sure is light on details now that all those tweets have been deleted.

EDIT to add; it's sad and pathetic that I learned this guy deleted all his tweets and maybe his account from TMC and not a news agency that already has an article out on the topic. Can't find a single one I read earlier today that's been "updated" or "corrected." Nope... just push that narrative you want, and make sure to take some shots at Musk for not wanting to deal with your B.S.

Last edited:

would someone at the Gigafactory even have a cross reference to which battery pack went into which car? are the battery packs serial numbered? if they are, they would be trucked to Fremont, and installed in a VIN'd car there, not pre-assigned a car while it was still at the Gigafactory. did his computer hacking software access Fremont data too?
Traceability is commonly used in manufacturing to be able to track unique ser. nos. or lots. A traction pack does not have to be pre-assigned to know ultimately where it landed. The pack ser. no. is scanned before or shortly thereafter it is mated to the car.

Konstantinos Kostis

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm half expecting one of those VINs to have the wrong check digit...
Sorry, those VINs are formed correctly. I checked. I didn't check whether they are also all registered with NHTSA.
However, creating a random list of correctly formed VINs is very easy. It doesn't mean a thing on it's own.

Country
Country
This is completely FUD. I am one of the owners with an “affected vin”. I commented on TMC already. There is nothing wrong with my battery pack. It charges to 100% and I get the expected range on long road trips. Superchargering hits 120kWh the few times I’ve done so.

Last edited:

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
This is completely FUD. I am of the owners with an “affected vin”. I commented on TMC already. There is nothing wrong with my battery pack. It charges to 100% and I get the expected range on long road trips. Superchargering hits 120kWh the few times I’ve done so.
This is great to know. I wonder if any of the owners with "effected" packs will get called as witnesses if this goes to trial. Thanks for the info.

Dan

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
This is completely FUD. I am of the owners with an “affected vin”. I commented on TMC already. There is nothing wrong with my battery pack. It charges to 100% and I get the expected range on long road trips. Superchargering hits 120kWh the few times I’ve done so.
The FUD won't work on everyone, but it'll work on some people, unfortunately :Þ