VIN progression, registration algorithm & other VIN-related exchanges

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, they are building these as quickly as they register the VINS.
the last batch was registered on March 18 and goes up to 328,486
Wait - it just hit me, why are they still going up with the numbers into the 3XX,XXX. When they changed models years I would have thought they would have reset this? I don't have any research or proof, but thought they would have started back over at the lower numbers for each model year, don't most manufactures. They only have 6 digits at the end. They'll have to change something in the next couple of years, but since the letter changes for the model year I would think they'd start the numbering over each year. I've got some research to do about other manufactures. I know my pickup was only 5 digits at the end and they'd been making that body style for 6 years without a major change.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wait - it just hit me, why are they still going up with the numbers into the 3XX,XXX. When they changed models years I would have thought they would have reset this? I don't have any research or proof, but thought they would have started back over at the lower numbers for each model year, don't most manufactures. They only have 6 digits at the end. They'll have to change something in the next couple of years, but since the letter changes for the model year I would think they'd start the numbering over each year. I've got some research to do about other manufactures. I know my pickup was only 5 digits at the end and they'd been making that body style for 6 years without a major change.
each does it differently.
Like my Solstice, it reset each year, but it also shared the same pool of numbers as the Saturn Sky and the Opal Roadster. so there was no good way to tell an actual production number per car line (or if a particular vin was for a Solstice or a Sky).

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was running at Stanford today and saw a new model 3 with temporary paper California license plate with 2019 year, the VIN was 304,XXX, that is the newest that I have seen around here. It was red with black premium interior that looked exactly like mine so probably not one of the SR.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
it really is pretty crazy to think of how quickly these have ramped up!
My car was delivered 14 months after deliveries started, with # 91xxx. In 6 months later, deliveries are more than 3x higher than mine!

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Up until this point, Tesla has never needed to start over with VINs as they’ve not even made a million cars yet (let alone a million cars of a particular model).

They’ve made a big deal of VIN #1 on cars, so I don’t see a motivation for them to start over in numbering for New Years if they don’t need to…

kataleen

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just got my VIN for a LR RWD ordered 3/8 (but upgraded from MR on the 19th after the LEMRs were discontinued.) The VIN is 323,6xx. According to Bloomberg, that number was just registered around 3/14, so they are practically building these things in real time at this point!
Yes, they are building them now. I ordered my P3D at the beginning of March and although I went through all kinds of issues, I was in contact with the customer service and they told me that my car (based on the VIN) was on the production line, and then a few days later that it was on the truck on its way

ishabazz

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Just got assigned a VIN for my LR RWD scheduled to be delivered on April 13. The VIN ends in 324XXX which I guess means it was built in early March.