VIN progression, registration algorithm & other VIN-related exchanges

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I'd like to know where they are getting the sequential VIN number from. Is there some link we can check by throwing VIN's at a database to see what it returns? I know it is not much because Tesla can and probably does skip VIN's. Maybe they reserved 500-999 for the first short range VIN.

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I'd like to know where they are getting the sequential VIN number from. Is there some link we can check by throwing VIN's at a database to see what it returns? I know it is not much because Tesla can and probably does skip VIN's. Maybe they reserved 500-999 for the first short range VIN.
I'm pretty sure all Tesla's are sequentially numbered. At a minimum the ass on the X were. That's why who gets #1 is such a big deal, it's a collector's piece. All signs point to model 3 being numbered the same way. The RC's were numbered in the 300's, so there seemed like there might be an anamoly with the 300's, but 300's production cars have been spotted now too.

sreams

Country
Country
300's VINs are not release candidates - they were just being tested prior to delivery.

VINs are first generated in batches and attributed to cars pre-production. They are registered with NHTSA atfter the cars are produced.
That is only partly true. All of the release candidate cars had 3xx VINs. There are also production cars with 3xx VINs. They just have different characters in the rest of the VIN than the RCs do.

Steam613

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
So here is a fact less theory. Born out of hope more than sense. With the ASSumption that ramp up is moving along but knowing that sightings; especially those who stalk the factory for departure trollies, are far less than would be expected. Then there are cars made but not yet delivered. So why? I wonder what the software options are on those secretly hidden in the bat cave compared to the known releases. Like some of the options not yet active with our 2 current owners; maybe those being held back chose the EAP or FSD packages and they're still tweaking them. Thus once alpha version is ready for mainstream a glut of M3's hit the market. I know, I know. It's thin. But do an old guy a solid, don't debunk while I bask in my fantasy theory.

AM1

Country
Country
So here is a fact less theory. Born out of hope more than sense. With the ASSumption that ramp up is moving along but knowing that sightings; especially those who stalk the factory for departure trollies, are far less than would be expected. Then there are cars made but not yet delivered. So why? I wonder what the software options are on those secretly hidden in the bat cave compared to the known releases. Like some of the options not yet active with our 2 current owners; maybe those being held back chose the EAP or FSD packages and they're still tweaking them. Thus once alpha version is ready for mainstream a glut of M3's hit the market. I know, I know. It's thin. But do an old guy a solid, don't debunk while I bask in my fantasy theory.
From one old guy to another your theory, IMO, is not far off. Based on the Electrek article referenced previously we know there were some manufacturing issues:

'Among the early production issues, Tesla had to replace battery packs on Model 3 produced in July due to corrections on welds and it also had to replace ground terminal bolts on Model 3 produced in August'

So, that slowed production/deliveries.

We also know from some posting here from model 3 owners that the software has some issues: Vampire drain on the 12 volt battery and fewer music choices/connectivity issues (no wifi). So, your theory of holding on to some of these cars until a fix is found makes sense.

All part of the learning process and the reason that friends of EM and Tesla employees/their families get the first vehicles.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I assumed that the Vampire drain on the 12V battery was caused by defective ground terminal bolts, thus the reason for their replacement, after I read the Electrek article. Just a thought.

VIN 454 was ordered with EAP. -- Sorry, @Steam613 . I still don't think that debunks your theory. - I think it is actually pretty accurate.

My theory is very similar - with the addition that all 1500 vehicles are already built and being stored end-to-end in a Boring Company Tunnel, and will be revealed and delivered at a surprise event whilst Elon crowd-surfs on top of them.

NoVADrew

omg I have a VIN
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You aren't kidding. I was lucky enough to take a test drive of a 3 a couple days ago on a trip out to the Bay area, and the one I drove plus the handful I saw when I stopped by the factory are absolutely gorgeous. It's actually pretty shocking how much better they look in person than in photos. Still not a fan of the aero wheels though, even in person. White, red and blue are the most eye catching colors IMO... white because it shows off the lines, and red and blue because they turn heads. Every time I see an S driving around San Jose (and they are everywhere), my eyes are like a magnet to the red and blue ones.
Replying to my own comment here, but had to add that on our way to SFO early this morning, we found ourselves on 280 alone with a midnight silver 3 for the entire drive from San Jose. The headlights on that thing are unreal... everything in front was illuminated in a wide plane of beautiful white LED light. It was laughable when a Prius entered the highway next to us with its dingy yellow lights. We pulled next to the 3 a couple times so my wife could take a look and the screen was perfectly illuminated for the dawn, with the map and screen in night mode and casting minimal light on the driver. The driver even had her baby with her in the exact car seat we just bought, so score on answering whether that fits (Graco 4ever). Seeing that brand new clean paint reflect the glow of sunrise over the bay was stunning. The wife and I were very impressed by how gorgeous it is in its element.

Country
Country
Replying to my own comment here, but had to add that on our way to SFO early this morning, we found ourselves on 280 alone with a midnight silver 3 for the entire drive from San Jose. The headlights on that thing are unreal... everything in front was illuminated in a wide plane of beautiful white LED light. It was laughable when a Prius entered the highway next to us with its dingy yellow lights. We pulled next to the 3 a couple times so my wife could take a look and the screen was perfectly illuminated for the dawn, with the map and screen in night mode and casting minimal light on the driver. The driver even had her baby with her in the exact car seat we just bought, so score on answering whether that fits (Graco 4ever). Seeing that brand new clean paint reflect the glow of sunrise over the bay was stunning. The wife and I were very impressed by how gorgeous it is in its element.
How exciting! I haven't seen it in daylight yet in person. I really can't decide on which color: white, blue or the midnight silver. As of right now, I'm leaning towards the white. The contrast of white and the black visual is something that I would not get sick of for a very long time.

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
This may sound a little obsessive, but I just checked back to see when I got an email from TSLA the last couple quarters announcing production and deliveries. Looks like it was between 2:43 to 4:13 ET, in case anyone was wondering.

Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country

phigment

Country
Country
The Model 3 deliveries sounds a little lower than what VIN reports indicate, but hard to say how many are in transport or waiting to get signed over.
From the release: "Q3 production totaled 25,336 vehicles, with 260 of them being Model 3".

So 220 delivered, 260 produced.

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
From the release: "Q3 production totaled 25,336 vehicles, with 260 of them being Model 3".

So 220 delivered, 260 produced.
Yikes, not even close to the 1500 Elon estimated at the last call. Doesn’t bode well for the stock tomorrow!

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Yikes, not even close to the 1500 Elon estimated at the last call. Doesn’t bode well for the stock tomorrow!
1,500 was just September. It was 1,630 for the quarter.

CORRECTION: They did say over 1,500 for the quarter, but Musk also Tweeted 30 in July, 100 in August, and 1,500 in September = 1,630

Last edited: