VIN progression, registration algorithm & other VIN-related exchanges

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I think the 300 series vins were RC's if I recall. Probably still running evaluations and long term tests.
I know, yet my point was they're going to get to 300 with production cars at some point too... and they could be close by now...
Though, granted, not likely in TX yet... :)

mkg3

Country
Country
They'll skip the 300's for production. Be on the lookout for 400's.
But 300 sequence is the last three digits. RC probably had a different VIN identifier than production version upstream of 300s.

I'd expect to see 300s for the production version using production VIN alpha numeric sequence.

Also, its would be very interesting to see how many vehicles Tesla actually builds this month. At the event last month, where they turned over 30 vehicles, Elon said they've produced around 50~60 (can't recall the exact number) in July. August is supposed to be 100 vehicles delivered so hope they made at least 100 and it would be much more of confidence builder (from production schedule perspective) if they actually delivered more than 100. Or at least produced much more than a hundred Model 3s.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
But 300 sequence is the last three digits. RC probably had a different VIN identifier than production version upstream of 300s.
If you take a look at the VIN decoder, you'll see that there is no other part of the VIN that can be different.
That explains why the RC's started at 300 - they wanted to save the low numbers for first deliveries.

Last edited:

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As well the RC's will most likely be crushed and recycled thereby freeing up the 300 series VIN's again.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Tesla doesn't always build cars in sequential order for the VINs so you can't always judge how many they've actually built unless we had the exact number of VINs assigned, which we don't

Sandy

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree. It's unfortunate Tesla only reports quarterly sales. All the numbers reported in between are really just guesses. We will get better guidance following Septembers sales and the following quarterly earnings call.

smak

Country
Country
Now that we've seen 1/2 a dozen or so, all in the 100's, as well as #200. I'm pretty convinced they are going in order.

It's 5 days into September, so they realistically should be past 300 now.

mkg3

Country
Country
Has anyone have heard or know how many of TM3 were delivered in August? One report stated there were 75 or 85, I can't recall which, in August (based on vehicle registration records) but that below the target 100.

September, the current month is supposed to be 1,000 vehicles or so and the month is half gone so the VIN should be in well into high three digits, and not in high 100s or 200s....

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anyone have heard or know how many of TM3 were delivered in August? One report stated there were 75 or 85, I can't recall which, in August (based on vehicle registration records) but that below the target 100.

September, the current month is supposed to be 1,000 vehicles or so and the month is half gone so the VIN should be in well into high three digits, and not in high 100s or 200s....
I still haven't seen any numbers of deliveries that look even remotely accurate. I would expect that 70-80 deliveries for August would've been on schedule since musk said 100 would be PRODUCED. It's very likely deliveries will take days if not weeks longer than production, so even for those in the immediate area of Fremont, it could be that those additional 20-30 cars were being scheduled for delivery. As for September numbers, there's rumor that they're ahead of schedule, but I'm not really seeing that. People on this forum getting delivery are seeing VINs in the high 100 to low 200s. I'd expect that end of september will see a significant ramp up to do the production curve, but it's going to take quite a bit to hit 1000+. Again, this would be 1000+ produced and not delivered, so it's very possible, there could be 100's of them sitting around at the end of September awaiting delivery.

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Sandy

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
We might get an update in early October after the next financial. Tesla is in the midst of a huge third quarter push to deliver as many cars as possible just like last year. Stock is high now but expect it to drop after the results come out (it always does regardless of the news)

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
We might get an update in early October after the next financial. Tesla is in the midst of a huge third quarter push to deliver as many cars as possible just like last year. Stock is high now but expect it to drop after the results come out (it always does regardless of the news)
Tesla always updates production and delivery (not financials) +/- the 2nd or 3rd of the month after quarter end. I expect them to release Q3 production and deliveries +/-10/2 as they did last year on 10/2/16: http://ir.tesla.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=991720

I'd be careful saying that the stock "always drops" regardless of the news. I bought a few shares of TSLA at +/-$158 right before they released their Q1 results on 2/10/16. TSLA shot up almost 70% after the results were released:

upload_2017-9-19_9-35-37.png

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Wow, 259. That's a nice jump from PTFI's VIN.
Looks like Tesla might be starting to climb up the steep part of that production S-curve.
I am a little concerned about the S curve actually. Elon has tweeted a target of 1500 by the end of Q3. That's next week. As of today, it appears as if we just cracked over 250.