VIN/Insurance question?

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Hi gang...need your help on this one. As many of you know, I took delivery of my non performance AWD Model 3 about 4 days ago. Added it to my insurance and just got my declaration page back from the insurance company with some startling info. When you give them the VIN their info on the car automatically propagates on their screen and when they did that it lists my car as a Model 3 Performance. I just got off the phone with them and they are going to check it out. Obviously I would think this would be a significant difference in premium. My question for you is "Do I really have a Performance car and not realize it?"

I believe I saw on here somewhere that the the 8th digit in the VIN describes the motor layout. On my VIN the 8th digit is a "B". What do I actually have in my garage? Thanks in advance for any info you may be able to share.

Dan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I first thought I had a performance model too, mostly because my <3 seems so FAST. Then I read here that when you see the VIN on the car’s monitor and it’s in red and underlined, that’s a performance model. Alas mine wasn’t. Apparently, my previous car was just really slow! ;-)

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I first thought I had a performance model too, mostly because my <3 seems so FAST. Then I read here that when you see the VIN on the car’s monitor and it’s in red and underlined, that’s a performance model. Alas mine wasn’t. Apparently, my previous car was just really slow! ;-)
I am actually in the other camp. I am pretty sure mine is not a Performance and I am hoping that if my insurance company got it wrong it will knock off some of my premium.

Thanks for the reply!

Dan

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My question for you is "Do I really have a Performance car and not realize it?"
The problem is that there's nothing in the VIN itself that distinguishes a regular AWD from a Performance. So your insurance company just has it wrong. I guess the more important question is whether this will cause an increase in your premium.

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
The problem is that there's nothing in the VIN itself that distinguishes a regular AWD from a Performance. So your insurance company just has it wrong. I guess the more important question is whether this will cause an increase in your premium.
I am thinking it already has. If they quoted me based on the assumption that the car was a Performance model then that has already been factored in. I was expecting a jump in premium but not as big as it ended up being.

Dan

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am thinking it already has. If they quoted me based on the assumption that the car was a Performance model then that has already been factored in.
That assumes that they charge a different premium for AWD than for Performance. They might not.