Question Very low distance per charge

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

help_balance_thegrid_with_evdotenergy

Polaris21

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Hello forum,

I have a 2017 Model X that needs to be charged frequently. I am only getting around 78 actual miles per 80% full charge from a Tesla Supercharger.

I have reported this issue to Tesla techs, and they want me to replace the whole battery at a tremendous cost, even though the vehicle is still currently under warranty!

They don't give any kind if explanation except that the battery may have been "overcharged" repeatedly. I bought the car third party only two months ago.

I am not getting anywhere near the rated distance of 238 miles per charge for this Model X!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions for this situation? Are there any third party technicians who can help or advise on this?

Respectfully,

Polaris21

Polaris21

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Hello forum
The 2017 Model X that I am writing about (above) only has 14,000 original miles!!! It only gets 78 actual miles, or let's just say 200 miles per 80% full charge.

Can anyone help me figure this out, or what I can do about this very low distance Model X??

Respectfully,

Polaris 21

Bigriver

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
@Polaris21, I also have a 2017 Model X and can perhaps help on a few things. First need some more info.
1. Do you have a 75D or 100D?
2. When you charge it to 80%, what is the rated miles shown next to the battery icon in the display behind the steering wheel? If that shows a percentage, you can change to distance in the display menu. Make sure rated miles, not ideal miles, is selected.
3. What is the Wh/mile and distance travelled in some of your trip meters? Make sure to pick 4 of the available trip meters in the trip menu. Here is what my trip meters show. A similar picture from you would be helpful.
F8C4D81D-0AE8-4BD8-A3EE-3965396D1390.jpeg

4. Does your car have sentry mode? Some 2017’s do and some don’t.
5. Do you have MCU1 or MCU2? All 2017’s came with MCU1, but there is an available upgrade to MCU2. If you don’t know the answer to this question, what is the Infotainment Processor listed in Software —> Additional Vehicle Information.

Answers to these questions can help sort out the state of the battery, the efficiency you are getting when you drive, and the losses that may be happening when you are not driving.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmaddr

Polaris21

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
@Polaris21, I also have a 2017 Model X and can perhaps help on a few things. First need some more info.
2. When you charge it to 80%, what is the rated miles shown next to the battery icon in the display behind the steering wheel? If that shows a percentage, you can change to distance in the display menu. Make sure rated miles, not ideal miles, is selected.
3. What is the Wh/mile and distance travelled in some of your trip meters? Make sure to pick 4 of the available trip meters in the trip menu. Here is what my trip meters show. A similar picture from you would be helpful.
View attachment 39246
5. Do you have MCU1 or MCU2? All 2017’s came with MCU1, but there is an available upgrade to MCU2. If you don’t know the answer to this question, what is the Infotainment Processor listed in Software —> Additional Vehicle Information.

Answers to these questions can help sort out the state of the battery, the efficiency you are getting when you drive, and the losses that may be happening when you are not driving.
1. 75D
2. Rated miles shown is: 187mi
3. I have sentry mode, but I keep it "off"
4. MCU1, but it will be upgraded am informed due to recall.
View attachment 39246

Bigriver

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Let’s first look at the battery condition and the state of degradation. I believe the 2017 model X 75D had an original rated range of 238 miles. If the current rated miles is 187 miles when you charge to 80%, that is a 234 (187/.8) mile rated range at 100%. That is quite good and is only 2% degradation over 4 years. By comparison I am at about 8% degradation. I have a rated range of 272 miles out of the original 295 rated miles for my 100D.

If the 187 miles were at a 100% charge, that would be about a 22% degradation, which is high. But I wouldn’t expect it to be high enough for Tesla to consider a battery replacement under warranty.

As for the actual miles you can get for every rated mile, that is a complex issue as it has many variables. First let me say that during the summer months, I get very close to the rated mileage. For example, I recently went on a 2450 (actual) mile trip and used 2500 rated miles while driving. But that’s not to say that I ever traveled close to my rated range of 272 miles between charges; 189 miles was my longest actual distance between superchargers because I’m typically going from 80% or 90% down to about 10% or 20% state of charge, or using only about 60% to 70% of the battery span at a time. Then there are many other factors that can affect consumption: speed, elevation changes, wind, rain, tire condition and pressure…. Oh, what size are your wheels? Mine are 20”. I am told the 22” eat range. Anyway, the key parameter to be looking at while you drive is the Wh/mile in the trip meter. The lower the better. I need to achieve roughly 320 Wh/mile for my actual miles to match the rated miles used. If you are getting 400 Wh/mile, for example, you are only getting about 8 actual miles for every 10 rated miles used.

As for the possibility you might be having some vampire or phantom loss while not using the car, Tesla says to expect up to 1%/day. Mine is typically much lower than that when I’m not using sentry mode, although I did go through some mystery periods of 5%/day when I had MCU1. They always self resolved after an OTA software update.

I asked about MCU1 because it has another setting that is not in MCU2…. There is an “always connected” radial button somewhere in the menu (sorry I don’t remember exactly where). Make sure that is not checked. If it is checked, it keeps the car awake all the time and the passive drain can be quite large.

The MCU1 recall will only replace the associated EMMC chip, it will not give you MCU2. That is a separate upgrade that can be had for $1500, which I strongly recommend to people but is a whole other topic.

I am very sympathetic towards new Tesla owners who do not get the range they hoped for. That was me 4 years ago. Don’t hesitate to keep asking questions in sorting out what the factors are, what you can control and not control, whether there is a problem that needs to be addressed by Tesla (that is rare but possible), and where expectations just need to be realigned. That last one was the main thing in my journey.

• Helpful
  • Winner
Reactions: garsh and FRC

JasonF

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hoovie's Garage this week just covered nearly that exact issue:

Your best bet might be to do what he did and contact Electrified Garage.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Hoovie's Garage this week just covered nearly that exact issue
Here's the executive summary of the video for those who don't want to spend 16 minutes of their life listening to something that could have been said in about 2 minutes. He bought a 2013 P85 Model S from auction, only to find that it would only charge up to 48 miles, and a notification came up that the Max Battery Charge Level is reduced. It is outside the 8 year battery warranty (it was an early 2013 build). He says Tesla would charge $17,000 to $20,000 to replace the battery pack, although that info seems to be from his Google search, not a direct quote from Tesla. He consulted with one of Rich Rebuild's tech's, who will look into rebuilding the existing battery pack, that it could be a problem with a single module or loose connection. Price could be as low as $1000 to fix. So he's giving it to them to look at. End of video. He obviously wants you to tune back in to the same bat channel, same bat time, for an update later. (Sorry for those that are too young to get that joke.)

From the OP information, I'm not hearing anything that makes me think he has a failed battery pack. Although I am interested in more info on:
Tesla techs, and they want me to replace the whole battery at a tremendous cost, even though the vehicle is still currently under warranty!

They don't give any kind if explanation except that the battery may have been "overcharged" repeatedly.
So was the 187 rated miles what you see when it charges to 80% and it would charge no further? I had not assumed that in my reply above, but am now trying to piece together why Tesla would have told you there is a problem with the battery due to repeated overcharging…. Do you know any history of the car? Is it possible that someone repeatedly charged to 100% and kept it there?

• Informative
Reactions: garsh and iChris93