Vermont/Upstate NY thread

luckyy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello folks,

I'm new to the forums, although have been following the Model 3 owners club/forums for a long time, and have been a Model 3 reservation holder since 4/6/16. I am finding it very difficult to find information more specifically related to those of us that live in Vermont- all the various forums lump us together with "New England", which includes huge states with big cities, like Massachusetts, Connecticut, etc.

But for Vermont, maybe upstate NY/NH/ME... we don't have the options others do. We have very rural roads and small towns & cities. And certainly no near-by Tesla dealer or support without a several hour drive north to Montreal, or south to the metro-Boston area.

So I wanted to try and create a thread that talked about those of us that live in and around Vermont, and how Teslas are used here, in our unique terrain of rolling hills, dirt roads, and long cold winters.

To start an already long thread... I'd test driven a Model S P85D a few years ago in South Burlington (VT) area at a Tesla-sponsored event and fell in love with Tesla that very moment. And as soon as I could pre-order the Model 3, I did. I'm still waiting on a Model 3, AWD, LR, EAP, 18" aero wheels in midnight silver metallic. All steps are completed, financing, trade in, etc. but no assigned VIN # yet, can't edit anything anymore. Delivery still shows Sep-Nov time frame. I am hopeful it won't be too long now!

Let me know if there are others out there! :)

luckyy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Signal boost.... ok I passed by a Model 3 in Midnight Silver in Shelburne, VT on my way home tonight, almost crashed myself, lol! Fess up, I know you're out there! Also passed a white model 3 in South Burlington a few times now on Hinesburg Road. Also saw a Model S on the way home tonight too. It's gone from seeing 1 a month maybe, to seeing 1-2 Teslas a day now here in the Champlain Valley anyhow, very exciting! Still waiting for my call...

Model3VT

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Signal boost.... ok I passed by a Model 3 in Midnight Silver in Shelburne, VT on my way home tonight, almost crashed myself, lol! Fess up, I know you're out there! Also passed a white model 3 in South Burlington a few times now on Hinesburg Road. Also saw a Model S on the way home tonight too. It's gone from seeing 1 a month maybe, to seeing 1-2 Teslas a day now here in the Champlain Valley anyhow, very exciting! Still waiting for my call...
Hi Luckyy, I, too, am now seeing Model 3s on an almost daily basis. This week I have seen a white one in So. Burlington near The Edge, a black one and a blue one parked in downtown Burlington (both with Aeros). I have a trim issue that I reported after a rogue window incident and received an e-mail about scheduling service. Interested to see what they suggest - Montreal, Boston? It looked as though I could schedule service myself at either location but Boston was only offering a Thurs. appoint online and Montreal did not have any weekend hours. I need to drop off my car on the weekend and get a loaner if it has to stay. I had hoped to be able to go to Montreal and leave it until the next weekend considering it is much closer. Hopefully, Montreal will add more hours with all of the Model 3s coming to Canada. You are only T minus 6 days to your Tesla although I'm sure I don't have to tell you that, Congrats!

luckyy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi Luckyy, I, too, am now seeing Model 3s on an almost daily basis. This week I have seen a white one in So. Burlington near The Edge, a black one and a blue one parked in downtown Burlington (both with Aeros). I have a trim issue that I reported after a rogue window incident and received an e-mail about scheduling service. Interested to see what they suggest - Montreal, Boston? It looked as though I could schedule service myself at either location but Boston was only offering a Thurs. appoint online and Montreal did not have any weekend hours. I need to drop off my car on the weekend and get a loaner if it has to stay. I had hoped to be able to go to Montreal and leave it until the next weekend considering it is much closer. Hopefully, Montreal will add more hours with all of the Model 3s coming to Canada. You are only T minus 6 days to your Tesla although I'm sure I don't have to tell you that, Congrats!
Thanks, very exciting to be so close! I'm glad you too are seeing them more and more, it's changing quickly, and we're such a small state! I like to think this is happening everywhere!

I'll be curious to see how your service call works out, I too would rather be able to use Montreal, if possible. Dedham is pretty far in comparison- and Mt. Kisco even more. I can only hope they will be adding a service center to the Albany area at least sometime soon? I should think enough people and cars sold would support one, especially with western MA, VT, upstate NY all within proximity.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi, All, I too am a VT tesla fan, I'm about to pick up my Model 3 in Dedham on 9/22...very excited. LR/AWD Midnight Silver Metallic, Aero Wheels, Black interior, Full Self Driving, reserved 9/12/2016.

luckyy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi, All, I too am a VT tesla fan, I'm about to pick up my Model 3 in Dedham on 9/22...very excited. LR/AWD Midnight Silver Metallic, Aero Wheels, Black interior, Full Self Driving, reserved 9/12/2016.
Interesting... how come Dedham? I thought there was a problem with picking up the car from Mass due to taxes between the two states?
Just curious why they're having some of us go to Mt. Kisco vs. Dedham?

BostonPilot

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Interesting... how come Dedham? I thought there was a problem with picking up the car from Mass due to taxes between the two states?
It seems like Tesla hasn't been on top of this - I think he should call Dedham - I don't believe they'll do the delivery and he might as well get the ball rolling on switching it to Mt. Kisco...

On the subject of service, I'm impressed that you guys in VT are willing to buy a car with such distant service centers. Especially a Tesla (which doesn't seem to be a low maintenance car yet). I'm actually pretty close to Dedham... I probably wouldn't have bought a Tesla if I was much further away from the service center. (but it's going to be my only car, maybe you guys have backup cars for when the Tesla is away at service?)

luckyy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It seems like Tesla hasn't been on top of this - I think he should call Dedham - I don't believe they'll do the delivery and he might as well get the ball rolling on switching it to Mt. Kisco...

On the subject of service, I'm impressed that you guys in VT are willing to buy a car with such distant service centers. Especially a Tesla (which doesn't seem to be a low maintenance car yet). I'm actually pretty close to Dedham... I probably wouldn't have bought a Tesla if I was much further away from the service center. (but it's going to be my only car, maybe you guys have backup cars for when the Tesla is away at service?)
I would agree that it's odd for Dedham for a Vermonter, I'd be worried myself :) If it was an option I would have preferred it, as it's a closer drive- plus I have family on the south shore, so I could combine my pickup with visiting too!

And yes, we Vermonters are weird like that, willing to buy a car that we have to go at a minimum 2.5 hours north to Montreal (from my location in the state) or to 4 hours to Dedham or Mt. Kisco for service. It is a big risk, and I am most certainly nervous about it. For me this will be my primary car, I don't have another just sitting around. So if my new Model 3 has to go into service, I am going to need a rental or I am going to be in a pickle.

One of the reasons I am still doing it, is that my hope is the ranger service will be able to take care of most issues and can come to us. Another reason is that there are so many Teslas already here in VT. I see tons of S/Xs already and now 3's are showing up, if there are that many people here, they must be able to service them well enough with the ranger services. My ultimate hope is that they at least add a service center to Albany, NY. But ideally into VT itself. Or even bordering NH like West Lebanon could be compromise.

TARSinVT

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Luckky, the Midnight Silver you passed was probably me! I live in South Burlington and I took delivery of a Midnight Silver Performance Model 3 on 2018-08-21 (they dropped it in the old Kmart parking lot off Shelburne Road at my request - I was worried what to expect but it was great and like a giant UPS delivery, and the delivery guy was great). I haven't seen another exactly like mine in the area yet. I've seen a few Model 3s but I haven't seen another Performance version of any color yes so it seems I've got a bit of a 'unicorn' for the moment. I'm excited to see more Tesla's of any model though, as every time I do it feels like a signal we are closer to mass adoption, and it's fun to be a part of advancing electric, fun, etc. As for the experience driving it, I'm really loving it so far, having replaced a VW Touareg TDI, and I'm a particular fan of the autopilot, the stereo system, the clean-lined interior, and the instant, massive thrust (press the pedal and hold on... seriously).

I am a long-time Tesla watcher but I just wasn't ready to do it, year-after-year, hesitating due to Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt through evaluating S, X, and even skipped the line-waiting on Model 3 (too expensive, range anxiety, nearest Tesla is in Montreal, electric will be poor in snow and cold, it'll be years before they ship Model 3, etc.) But, once I decided to go for it, well, there was some more FUD along the way, especially as the wait wore on, but since the problem-free delivery experience, and enjoyment since then, I have been wondering why I hesitated. I am now happily cruising the area regularly, including relatively routine trips to Shelburne. I have 1,211 miles on it so far. Fingers crossed you'll get your call soon. If my experience is any indication, it'll be here soon and you'll conclude it was well worth the wait. Next up is winter driving. The Performance comes with 20" summer tires but my winters are on order and I'm hoping the Tesla Mobile Service will bring them to me and install them, but that's a bit unclear at the moment -- all part of being a but out front on this stuff, I guess, but the good experience so far makes me less worried.

img_1941-jpg.14764

TARSinVT

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine came from Dedham (delivered in a closed trailer to South Burlington Vermont 2018-08-21 in a very smooth experience). I didn't specify where it should come from but it seemed clear from the interactions with Tesla leading up to it that it was going to come from Dedham, and be delivered to me in Vermont. Picking it up in Dedham seemed to have various problems and uncertanties that seemed far worse than letting them deliver it to me here. They just delivered it and I drove straight to VT DMV where I had to pay registration and sales tax. It was all pretty low pain. Then, a few days later I got it inspected at a local shop (where I had to show the mechanics how it worked but we all had fun with the experience). I'm not looking forward to problems and having to ship it to Dedham but I'll face that when/if the time comes. I'm hoping that the Tesla Mobile Service will sort out most issues.

luckyy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Luckky, the Midnight Silver you passed was probably me! I live in South Burlington and I took delivery of a Midnight Silver Performance Model 3 on 2018-08-21 (they dropped it in the old Kmart parking lot off Shelburne Road at my request - I was worried what to expect but it was great and like a giant UPS delivery, and the delivery guy was great). I haven't seen another exactly like mine in the area yet. I've seen a few Model 3s but I haven't seen another Performance version of any color yes so it seems I've got a bit of a 'unicorn' for the moment. I'm excited to see more Tesla's of any model though, as every time I do it feels like a signal we are closer to mass adoption, and it's fun to be a part of advancing electric, fun, etc. As for the experience driving it, I'm really loving it so far, having replaced a VW Touareg TDI, and I'm a particular fan of the autopilot, the stereo system, the clean-lined interior, and the instant, massive thrust (press the pedal and hold on... seriously).

I am a long-time Tesla watcher but I just wasn't ready to do it, year-after-year, hesitating due to Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt through evaluating S, X, and even skipped the line-waiting on Model 3 (too expensive, range anxiety, nearest Tesla is in Montreal, electric will be poor in snow and cold, it'll be years before they ship Model 3, etc.) But, once I decided to go for it, well, there was some more FUD along the way, especially as the wait wore on, but since the problem-free delivery experience, and enjoyment since then, I have been wondering why I hesitated. I am now happily cruising the area regularly, including relatively routine trips to Shelburne. I have 1,211 miles on it so far. Fingers crossed you'll get your call soon. If my experience is any indication, it'll be here soon and you'll conclude it was well worth the wait. Next up is winter driving. The Performance comes with 20" summer tires but my winters are on order and I'm hoping the Tesla Mobile Service will bring them to me and install them, but that's a bit unclear at the moment -- all part of being a but out front on this stuff, I guess, but the good experience so far makes me less worried.

View attachment 14764
Thanks for sharing your story! I live farther south in Panton, but work in South Burlington, so I commute through So Burl/Shelburne daily. I was on my way home that evening when I saw your shiny new car! I was originally scheduled for home delivery, but my ISA offered that if I was willing to drive to Mt. Kisco to pick it up, I could have my car 2-3 weeks sooner than home delivery would be able to get it to me. So naturally I was like whatever it takes, let's go!

I was originally scheduled for today... But last Friday got a call from my ISA that the vehicle was not going to be there on time, and that my appointment would slide out to Sunday 9/30 at Mt. Kisco. So I've called the bank and insurance, and have everything on standby until then.

For me I was a reservation holder of the 3 - I had driven a Model S P85D a few years ago in South Burlington at an event that Tesla held. And after being inside an electric vehicle like that, I was ready to adopt one... and put myself on the Model 3 list as soon as I could :) I'm glad you've had such a great experience with your car so far, it is a risk here in VT so far from any service centers, but hopefully the mobile service can take care of most issues.

ADK46

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks, Luckyy. I'm across the Champlain Valley in the Adirondacks, between Lake George and Ticonderoga. We should schedule a meet-up in the spring - at the new Champlain Bridge? Vergennes? Shelburne?

A few months ago, after considering the dealer-distance problem, I decided not to get a Tesla. But when we got an invite to test drive one, I thought it would be educational and we made the trek up Mt. Kisco. I brought up the service issue right away, and was told "A lot of problems can be fixed remotely, by computer, and mobile service can handle most other things that don't require a lift." I replied "I have lifts." "You're all set, then!" I'm not taking that too seriously, but it's a pleasant thought.

Has anyone ever gotten a test drive in a Model 3 and didn't like it? It's like experiencing a smart phone for the first time - it obviously represents the future. Got the car Sept. 23.

I run an annual gathering for Porsche 928 owners, Camp 928. Guys come from all over the Northeast and Canada to discuss their troublesome maintenance requirements, and to drive our smooth and curvy roads. The Tesla - and 16 more PV panels being installed today - is compensation for causing this wanton production of CO2 by these egregious gas guzzlers.

- Curt

jon-jpg.15755

luckyy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks, Luckyy. I'm across the Champlain Valley in the Adirondacks, between Lake George and Ticonderoga. We should schedule a meet-up in the spring - at the new Champlain Bridge? Vergennes? Shelburne?

A few months ago, after considering the dealer-distance problem, I decided not to get a Tesla. But when we got an invite to test drive one, I thought it would be educational and we made the trek up Mt. Kisco. I brought up the service issue right away, and was told "A lot of problems can be fixed remotely, by computer, and mobile service can handle most other things that don't require a lift." I replied "I have lifts." "You're all set, then!" I'm not taking that too seriously, but it's a pleasant thought.

Has anyone ever gotten a test drive in a Model 3 and didn't like it? It's like experiencing a smart phone for the first time - it obviously represents the future. Got the car Sept. 23.

I run an annual gathering for Porsche 928 owners, Camp 928. Guys come from all over the Northeast and Canada to discuss their troublesome maintenance requirements, and to drive our smooth and curvy roads. The Tesla - and 16 more PV panels being installed today - is compensation for causing this wanton production of CO2 by these egregious gas guzzlers.

- Curt

View attachment 15755
I think at the new Champlain Bridge would be a good spot for a meet-up in the spring. To be fair, its probably 15 minutes from my home.. so I might be biased! But the drive to and around that area is enjoyable on other side of the bridge.

And congrats on the panels! I already had installed 24 panels about 5 years ago now, and haven't had an electric bill since. I suspect the Model3 might use up more than I produce in the winter months here and eat away my credits enough to cause a small electric bill. But considering I was spending ~$250/mo in gas alone (when it was under $2.80/gal...) I think I won't mind even if i had to pay $100 for my electric bill in the winter months :)

I too have beenworried about service and repair needs, but I am hopeful that anything I need can be handled by the ranger services for the most part. I wrapped over 1000 miles this week on the car, and have no regrets about it's purchase. And I agree, it's the future. Everyone that has seen the car agrees its where cars are going. I think in 5-10 years, almost everyone will have something like this in their garage as their daily driver, it just makes sense.

-Brian

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've been lurking on this site and a few others for the past year or so, as I contemplated ordering a 3, put down a reservation in early 2018, and finally placed an order for a blue dual motor in mid July. I was really worried about delays the delivery process after reading numerous threads on line. I got the long-awaited email on Halloween day, and after back and forth with the delivery adviser decided to drive to Mt. Kisco for the pickup. They would have delivered it, but they are backed up 2-3 weeks for home deliveries, and I will be traveling for a little while after Thanksgiving, so I wanted to simply take care of this now. The email responsiveness of my delivery adviser left something to be desired, but in the end, all the paperwork was taken care of on-line, and Telsa arranged an Enterprise rental car for me to pick up the evening before in South Burlington.

Yesterday I drove down to Mt. Kisco, arriving at 11:30. They were busy but not packed, and I was checked in immediately. It took 15 minutes for a delivery specialist to review my paperwork, then I was sent on their shuttle to the off-site car delivery center (5 minutes away, and next to the Enterprise return). After 15 minutes, a specialist reviewed the car features with me, helped me synch my phone, and moved the car over to the supercharger to increase my range. The car and paperwork all looked great. I had read the owners manual on line and watched the videos, so I didn't need much tutoring. I was out of the center by 1:00. Pretty good turnaround for a new car dealer.

My only complaint is that I emailed the center twice requesting a full charge on the battery so I could make it back to VT, but the battery was only 1/2 charged when I arrived. So I had to stop on my way home, not a big deal. All in all, the delivery experience was quite smooth. Much better than the experience many folks had in late October, from what I understand. Tesla seems to be making some progress streamlining their processes.

As for the car itself, no disappointments. I continue to discover little features that impress me.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One other question for Vermont Green Mountain Power customers. GMP is offering a free charger to customers that buy an EV in 2018. I completed their on line application/questionnaire, but never heard back from them. Have any of you gotten a charger through this program? What charger do they provide?

demeter84

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Another Vermont Model 3 owner here. I just picked up mine in Mt. Kisco, NY as well last month!

Has anyone found a service center that will provide mobile service to Vermont? I've been told to use the Watertown, MA service center, but it appears that they don't do the mobile service.

We're still waiting for the Aero winter wheel package to ship from Tesla and it would be great to not have to make a trip to MA to have winter tires put on.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A new Model 3 owner. I do not live in VT, but planning on a ski trip to Mt Snow from the Boston, MA area after X-Mas. I've never been there and was concerned about the logistics of charging, etc. I have little experience with the car at this point and was wondering if anyone here have any advice to offer. I may just take my gas car instead. I took delivery in Dedham 11/28/18 and have been impressed with the car so far.

Model3VT

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Another Vermont Model 3 owner here. I just picked up mine in Mt. Kisco, NY as well last month!

Has anyone found a service center that will provide mobile service to Vermont? I've been told to use the Watertown, MA service center, but it appears that they don't do the mobile service.

We're still waiting for the Aero winter wheel package to ship from Tesla and it would be great to not have to make a trip to MA to have winter tires put on.
If you need service and do not live near a service center, Tesla sends out a mobile van to your work or home although I am not sure if they would come out for tires. I don't believe they are associated with any one service center. This photo is when they came out to my work.

Attachments

Model3VT

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A new Model 3 owner. I do not live in VT, but planning on a ski trip to Mt Snow from the Boston, MA area after X-Mas. I've never been there and was concerned about the logistics of charging, etc. I have little experience with the car at this point and was wondering if anyone here have any advice to offer. I may just take my gas car instead. I took delivery in Dedham 11/28/18 and have been impressed with the car so far.
Wanted to introduce myself here as a fellow Vermont model 3 owner!
Picked mine up in NY as well this November. Beautiful machine!
Welcome Sundiver, what color is your car? I have seen a lot more on the road lately.