Vancouver to Prince George in an M3 MidRange - how?

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My wife and I did the Seattle run (in less than 12 parsecs) a couple of months back and at the end of this month I am doing a run to Kelowna from Vancouver. These are easy as I5 has lots of superchargers to Seattle and the Kelowna trip has superchargers in Hope, Merrit and Kelowna but at 370km, I might just coast into Kelowna at the end of a single charge....

Prince George is a different story.

Total trip is 758 km.
If i supercharge in Hope that leaves over 600km from Hope to PG.
If I supercharge in Kamloops (running a single charge from Vancouver to Kamloops) that still leaves me with 521km to PG

There are lots of level 2 chargers on the route, but a 7 hour drive with kids is not helped by 8 hours charging from dead battery to full. When we get into PG I can likely charge at hotel as many have chargepoint for free, but getting from Kamloops to PG is the crux.

If I have to do the PG run in the Volvo V70 I will, but I'd much prefer to do the run in the M3.

MarkB

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Neighbour of a buddy went all the way to Haida Gwaii last year in his Model S, using Level 2 chargers on the way. He wasn't in a rush.

Plugshare shows some CHAdeMO and CCS chargers "coming soon", but it'll be interesting if they come before or after some sort of Model 3 adapter.

I know someone who owns a LR RWD Model 3, and lives in Port Hardy. ABetterRoutePlanner says he could do a round trip to Campbell River (236km one way) if he started at 100% and didn't do much in Campbell River. Otherwise, the planner recommends that in order to get home, he leaves Campbell River and drives 144km (1.5 hours) SOUTH to charger at the Nanaimo Supercharger, before heading (the now 374 km) north, towards home.

Long Range trips in a Tesla are WAY easier than with other EV's, but are still only do-able in certain directions.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Ed Woodrick I need the energy consumption from Kamloops to Prince George before I get to Kamploops. Can I plan a trip which is not from my current location? Would you, for example, be able to plan a trip from Montgomery to Chattanooga while you are in Atlanta?

I am not that familiar with trip planning and showing the charger stops needed.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry, didn't realize that it wasn't where you were at.
You can just check the distance between chargers or use any of the online routers, such as tesla.com/trips.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@MarkB - if we had gotten the LR battery we would have been fine, but the sales team at Tesla could not answer what I thought was a simple pricing question about the difference between the LR and the MR battery so we missed out on the last RWD LR - water under the bridge, we love the M3 we have!

driving south to go north is counter intuitive, but what ever works :) I was born north of Port Hardy, not sure the logging roads are Tesla rated.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
took a look at tesla.com/trips - doesn't have the M3 midrange on it. picked the model S with 250mile range. close enough. But tesla.com only thinks in terms of tesla chargers. will have to explore other router pages - but thanks for the tip @Ed Woodrick, aims me in a direction.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Double check your route with Plugshare, you might find some chargers along the way that aren't listed anywhere else - and they come with reviews, so you'll know if it's broken or if it's been recently removed.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
tried plugshare - looks to be about 8 1/2 hours. dunno if that is smart with two little ones. I'd be on AP constantly just so I could turn around and tell them to behave.

"If this car has to turn itself around and drive us all home, it will..."

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Technically, we're still on the bleeding edge - it's to be expected that EV's can't yet travel long rural distances as easily as a gasoline car.

It wasn't even a generation ago when gasoline cars had to carry extra cans of gas on board to complete a journey far from cities, and EV's are catching up much more quickly than they did.

JohnMon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wouldn't take the risk with a couple of kids in the car unless you can make it with a bit of charge to spare. If it was close, you could perhaps rely on a L2 charge for an hour while you're having a bite to eat, but you're not that close to making it without the LR battery. If you don't make it you'll never forgive yourself. Even worse, the kids may not forget that you took such a risk with them. Take the Volvo now, perhaps you'll be able to take the 3 soon. These are still early days for EV's, no shame in leaving it behind for one trip.

Robert

Country
Country
I did a little playing around with A Better Routeplanner and Plugshare. Looks like going from Kamloops to Prince George in a mid-range is possible but not sure it is realistic. I came up with approximately 6 hours of L2 charging along the way and the drive itself is about 6 hours. Even if you were not taking children with you, would you want to put yourself thru this