vancouver area tire shops with correct M3 pads

• JOIN @TREVP AND SOME T.O.O. CREW FOR THE FIRST EVER ELECTRIC VEHICLE EVENT AT BASECAMP MIAMI!
    THE LARGEST ELECTRIC VEHICLE EVENT ON THE EAST COAST SATURDAY FEBRUARY 8th!
    Full details and RSVP here

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I called up my close-by Kal Tire and B&B to ask if they had the correct pads for model 3 lifting and neither had them. One admitted to having the model S pads, but didn't know that the model 3 were different pads. The other had no idea that any tesla needed pads. disappointing.

I'm in South Surrey and work in Vancouver - anyone have good luck with a tire shop? I'll be getting some pads from @No_petro, but even if i supply the pads, i'd like to go to a shop where the guy lifting the car knows to look for my set of pads.

I change the summers/winters on my V70, and mom-in-laws Civic but don't have space to store another set of tires. Going to a shop often gets you free storage :D

HCD3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I called up my close-by Kal Tire and B&B to ask if they had the correct pads for model 3 lifting and neither had them. One admitted to having the model S pads, but didn't know that the model 3 were different pads. The other had no idea that any tesla needed pads. disappointing.

I'm in South Surrey and work in Vancouver - anyone have good luck with a tire shop? I'll be getting some pads from @No_petro, but even if i supply the pads, i'd like to go to a shop where the guy lifting the car knows to look for my set of pads.

I change the summers/winters on my V70, and mom-in-laws Civic but don't have space to store another set of tires. Going to a shop often gets you free storage :D
Try these. I keep them in the car always.
Amazon product

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
yep, getting my own pads is a certainty. I just don't trust that johnny at the counter lets the tire jockey in the bay know that there are pads which need to be used, even if I brought them.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
you are right. I use exactly that on my floor jack when lifting the V70 back end to get both tires off the ground. that extra 1.5" makes all the difference.

but i still think that some pads would be good :)

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
6" sections of 2x4 lumber work also, but of course the tech needs to be aware enough to locate them in the correct positions.
Heh. ;)
The jack points for a Tesla Model 3 are kind of small, formed of smooth metal, and very, very close to the body-colored rocker panels that curve underneath. So to protect those rocker panels from getting gouged or scratched, you can buy or make jack lifting pads. People have shared a couple of DIY designs based on hockey pucks (here and here), and there are sets for sale on ebay. But I want to share a very inexpensive, very easy DIY jack lifting pad.

Materials:
  • A piece of 2x4, about 2.5" long. Length isn't too important.
  • A piece of 1" dowel rod, 3/4" long.
  • A screw, about 1.5" long
  • Electrical tape, 3/4" wide.
Drill a hole in the middle of the dowel rod, large enough for the screw to pass through. Then when you screw it into the 2x4, it will pull together tightly. Wrap one layer of electrical tape around the piece of dowel rod. The electrical tape gives it enough friction to stay in the car after insertion.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I like it Garsh! i haven't examined under the M3 yet, i'm guess by theh "outside" label that the offcenter placement of the dowel is real important. did you counter sink the screw head a bit?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I like it Garsh! i haven't examined under the M3 yet, i'm guess by theh "outside" label that the offcenter placement of the dowel is real important.
It's not really that critical. The metal part sticks down lower than the rocker panel right beside it. But I was feeling anal. ;)

did you counter sink the screw head a bit?
Just a little from tightening. There's enough extra space within the jack point hole that it's not required.