Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

V9/V10 Feature: Sentry Mode

71K views 521 replies 136 participants last post by  Resist 
#1 ·

Oooh! They've been listening to feedback regarding Model 3 break-ins it seems. Very happy I have EAP.

#12 ·
Hopefully this will help us catch license plates of "hit and run" parking lot encounters.

I don't really expect this to prevent "smash and grab" incidents. I don't think thieves will bother grabbing USB drives. But they *may* learn to just put on a mask before breaking into Teslas.

#16 ·
This is definitely exciting, but as my wife would say ... why doesn't the car alert me when someone is in my blind spot (center mounted screen doesn't count)
So she's looking for an audible alert then?

#18 ·
I'll look at this as Tesla trying to respond to its customers' demands which largely has been about the break ins with the rear window. I hope the feature gets added and improves over time like all other things. I'll wait and see until and if it rolls out before judging it.

#19 ·
Tesla trying to respond to its customers' demands which largely has been about the break ins with the rear window
I assume you have not been following Tesla/model 3 for more than a few months, correct? When the v9 features come out (and before), there was tons of complaints the onboard dashcam only used the one camera, only recorded the last hour, only worked when driving, etc, etc. the last being the least of the complaints.
The rear window breakins have been a thing on Teslas for years (in some cities) and is just now getting talked about with the larger number of cars on the roads (or dark streets/parking lots).

#32 ·
Just thought of an idea, don't know if it would work, but remember the "dog" mode feature that displayed on the screen "pet is ok, owner will be right back".
What if there was a theft mode that displayed on the screen that "you are now being recorded and showed the thief an image of themselves on the center screen".
Maybe this will just lead to thief selfies or discourage ;)
ideally I wish there was a "trunk-cam" that showed on the center screen the inside of your trunk (emply)

#23 ·
All Model 3s have 2.5. So AP2+ means anything greater than 2. AP 2 was introduced in the S/X then pretty quickly moved to 2.5.

#25 ·
I may have heard a rumor that Tesla might let us record custom audio announcements that would work something like this:

1. [An announcement that would be quietly played at volume=1 if someone comes close to the car]
2. [An announcement that would be loudly played at volume =5 when a window smash is detected]
3. [An announcement that would be played at volume=10 as the person leaves]

One revenue stream suggestion for Tesla might be taking stills from the video of a break-in and making a quality coffee table photo album entitled, "Breaking Bad: Candid Camera Car Burglary."

Reactions: JWardell
#26 ·
More likely to increase the amount of stolen usb drives. Hopefully he's including a cloud upload with this feature.
Somebody start designing a Model 3 USB hub lock box for the console... fingerprint enabled like a gun safe. ;)

Reactions: DaisyB and GDN
#27 ·
Would be nice to see this, but I would think they would need to get the video stored in the cloud. This shouldn't be hard, they already upload video from our cars right? So they just need to keep the streams tied to the car/account for access. I'm on the boat about stolen USB's though. Once the thieves learn of the "sentry" should they decide to break in anyway, they would know to go for the USB stick as well.

I think this is where Tesla went wrong with their cameras too. If they'd just gone with an HD camera they could have easily used lower resolution for driving decisions, but would have the video recordings worth while and usable. The resolution off of these cameras is not going to really do what we expect these days from a dash cam.

Reactions: Rick Steinwand
#28 ·
Would be nice to see this, but I would think they would need to get the video stored in the cloud. This shouldn't be hard, they already upload video from our cars right? So they just need to keep the streams tied to the car/account for access. I'm on the boat about stolen USB's though. Once the thieves learn of the "sentry" should they decide to break in anyway, they would know to go for the USB stick as well.
It's worth noting Elon was responding to a Tweet about a hit and run. These people aren't naturally thieves so may leave the USB alone.

Reactions: garsh
#31 ·
We had a girl kidnapped last weekend....

Two weeks ago, my neighbor stabbed a delivery man with a sword....
Time to move buddy ;)

#36 ·
Waiting for someone to ***** about vampire drain from cameras always being active...... o_O
The cameras may or may not be active the entire time (they might only activate in response to a bump or other accelerometer signal), but the car will definitely need to be awake in order to detect the disturbance and react.

I expect that the vampire drain rate will be similar to what folks are currently seeing when the car stays awake to exercise the charge port latch continuously in cold weather.

#42 · (Edited)
Received this e-mail a short while ago:
As a Model 3 owner, you can make your car even safer by activating additional security features. To enable these features, go to Controls > Safety & Security on your car's touchscreen.
  • Pin To Drive: requires four-digit verification to start your car​
  • Manual Entry: disables Passive Entry via the Tesla app and requires a key card for entry​
  • Security Alarm: activates when a locked trunk or door is opened without a valid entry key​
Soon, Sentry Mode will be enabled on your Model 3 via an over the air software update, and will monitor your car's environment while it's parked. When a potential threat is detected, the cameras on your car will begin recording, and the alarm system will activate. In the meantime, for owners looking to prevent theft, we also recommend removing valuables from your car and leaving the rear seats folded down with the trunk empty when parked.
While I agree that capturing them on video is not, by itself, a deterrent; hopefully, coupling that with the alarm sounding will make the Model 3 a less desirable target. After all, their modus operandi is to get in and out quickly without drawing attention on themselves, especially if they want to hit multiple cars in a parking lot. It may take some time before knowledge of these added features makes its way around the leagues of thieves, but hopefully the car eventually will become a pariah for them.

#43 ·
"Monitoring the car's environment while parked" is the interesting bit, effectively adding more triggers to the alarm system. I doubt it's vision-based, you'd have so many false positives it would be a total nuisance, maybe they are listening for sound with the interior mic or for physical shakes via an accelerometer.

#44 ·
Tesla posted details of sentry mode to their blog:
https://www.tesla.com/blog/sentry-mode-guarding-your-tesla

Sentry Mode: Guarding Your Tesla
The Tesla Team February 13, 2019​
According to federal statistics, there was an estimated one motor vehicle theft or attempted theft every 40.8 seconds in the United States in 2017- and that doesn't even include the vast number of car break-ins that happen nationwide. To further enhance the security of our vehicles and give our customers additional peace of mind, today we're starting to roll out a new safeguard - Sentry Mode - to protect against break-ins and theft.​
Sentry Mode adds a unique layer of protection to Tesla vehicles by continuously monitoring the environment around a car when it's left unattended. When enabled, Sentry Mode enters a "Standby" state, like many home alarm systems, which uses the car's external cameras to detect potential threats. If a minimal threat is detected, such as someone leaning on a car, Sentry Mode switches to an "Alert" state and displays a message on the touchscreen warning that its cameras are recording. If a more severe threat is detected, such as someone breaking a window, Sentry Mode switches to an "Alarm" state, which activates the car alarm, increases the brightness of the center display, and plays music at maximum volume from the car's audio system.​
If a car switches to "Alarm" state, owners will also receive an alert from their Tesla mobile app notifying them that an incident has occurred. They'll be able to download a video recording of an incident (which begins 10 minutes prior to the time a threat was detected) by inserting a formatted USB drive into their car before they enable Sentry Mode.​
Sentry Mode must be enabled each time a driver wants to use the feature by going to Controls > Safety & Security > Sentry Mode. The feature will begin rolling out today to U.S. Model 3 vehicles, followed by Model S and Model X vehicles that were built after August 2017.​
While no alarm system can prevent against all vehicle thefts, break-ins and threats, we hope that with Sentry Mode and our other security features, your Tesla will be even more secure.​

#45 ·
The feature will begin rolling out today to U.S. Model 3 vehicles, followed by Model S and Model X vehicles that were built after August 2017.
Popcorn: check.
TeslaFi firmware tracker on auto-refresh: check.

We're ready for you, 2019.4!

#46 ·
Not sure I like having to enable each time, but that kind of makes sense. It needs to be enabled from the app on the phone. Make it easy to enable if you've already left the vehicle and forgot and easier than digging through the menu.

PS - all of you with Google Routers at home - time to start watching them for downloads to your cars !!!!

Reactions: Love
#50 ·
Per Tesla today..

Why on earth would they make us manually enable it everytime? The one time you don't enable it will be the time your car is broken into.
:rolleyes:
I would prefer it be enabled or disabled location based

#51 ·
This was posted Today on Tesla Site

Sentry Mode must be enabled each time a driver wants to use the feature by going to Controls > Safety & Security > Sentry Mode. The feature will begin rolling out today to U.S. Model 3 vehicles, followed by Model S and Model X vehicles that were built after August 2017.

Tesla Sentry Mode

Looks like we get the feature this week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.