V9/V10 Feature: Sentry Mode

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Frully

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Clarify - By sentry mode do you mean the car alarm?

Activating sentry causes it to start recording, and flash the headlights.
Physically disturbing the car causes the alarm to go off, with lights, horn and full volume music.

To turn off the alarm I believe you can use the 'unlock' button in the app.

harrison987

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hey everyone...

Since upgrading to Hardware 3, my dashcam will only work in Sentry mode. My USB stick is fairly new...but I got the warning that I needed to upgrade my USB to one that records at 4MB/sec (or something along those lines)...in order to record while driving. My USB records MUCH faster than that...so not sure what the issue is.

The moment I put the car into drive, the camera/Hal icon disappears from the screen. When I put in park...it comes back on.

Anyone else experience this? Maybe I should format the card again?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I got the warning that I needed to upgrade my USB to one that records at 4MB/sec (or something along those lines)...in order to record while driving. My USB records MUCH faster than that...so not sure what the issue is.
The issue is that it can only record at those speeds for short bursts - not over an extended period of time.

I strongly suggest that you replace it with a MicroSD card made for dashcam usage & one of the recommended MicroSD USB readers. Or go even higher-end and get an SSD.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hey everyone...

Since upgrading to Hardware 3, my dashcam will only work in Sentry mode. My USB stick is fairly new...but I got the warning that I needed to upgrade my USB to one that records at 4MB/sec (or something along those lines)...in order to record while driving. My USB records MUCH faster than that...so not sure what the issue is.

The moment I put the car into drive, the camera/Hal icon disappears from the screen. When I put in park...it comes back on.

Anyone else experience this? Maybe I should format the card again?
This sounds like normal operation. The HAL icon/sentry mode is only on when parked and you have Sentry mode set. That icon does not stay on while driving. That recording is automatic an dhappens whether you have Sentry on or not.

Klaus-rf

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My car has Sentry Mode set to Off (slider) and Valet Mode off also. Yet it still is filling my USB drive collecting videos of my garage. Which I do not need. Deleted 100 directories of saved garage videos yesterday. Grrr...

How do I make it to stop doing this??

BluestarE3

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My car has Sentry Mode set to Off (slider) and Valet Mode off also. Yet it still is filling my USB drive collecting videos of my garage. Which I do not need. Deleted 100 directories of saved garage videos yesterday. Grrr...

Which folder were these videos saved in?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
IIRC (that was yesterday - a long time ago) they were in the same directory as all the captured file directories taken manually while driving - TeslaCam. All in date/time stamp subdirectories.
The original versions of the feature had dated subfolders directly in the TeslaCam directory. But all current versions have three subfolders within TeslaCam, and the timestamped subdirectories appear within one of these subfolders:
  • RecentClips - The last 1 hour of clips go here.
  • SavedClips - Clips saved in response to pressing the sentry icon or honking the horn go here.
  • SentryClips - Clips saved due to sentry mode being activated go here.
Are you sure they're not in one of these subdirectories?
What version of software does your car currently have?

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Set your garage to home in your GPS, then you can select to not have sentry mode on at home. Or set the garage to work, and you can do the same.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Set your garage to home in your GPS, then you can select to not have sentry mode on at home. Or set the garage to work, and you can do the same.
That feature has never worked for me. I have Home set properly in GPS (and Homelink works with it, because it offers me the garage opener when I get close) and the “except for home” option checked next to the Sentry Mode toggle, but it still stays activated in the garage. I just got used to turning sentry mode on manually when I need it.

Klaus-rf

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks for the above comments. I will check for those listed subdirectories next time I pull the SSD. I do recall a RecentClips and SavedClips directories, but don;t recall a SenrtyCLips folder (but my memory isn't the best).

In any case should any of the above even apply when Sentry is set to OFF??

Current FW ver is 2020.12.5.

SR22pilot

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
That feature has never worked for me. I have Home set properly in GPS (and Homelink works with it, because it offers me the garage opener when I get close) and the “except for home” option checked next to the Sentry Mode toggle, but it still stays activated in the garage. I just got used to turning sentry mode on manually when I need it.
It works perfectly for me. Be sure to distinguish between Sentry and Dashcam. The camera will start recording when you get into the car and it turns on ready to go somewhere. However, in my garage, the Sentry icon doesn’t light up in the center. I can still get some Dashcam video at the end of a drive but it will stop once parked and the car powers down.

BluestarE3

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks for the above comments. I will check for those listed subdirectories next time I pull the SSD. I do recall a RecentClips and SavedClips directories, but don;t recall a SenrtyCLips folder (but my memory isn't the best).

In any case should any of the above even apply when Sentry is set to OFF??

Current FW ver is 2020.12.5.
The SentryClips folder came later. If those extraneous clips you're referring to are not in the SentryClips folder, then it's not Sentry Mode that had created them and the Sentry Mode ON/OFF setting is irrelevant in this regard.

By any chance, do you keep your phone near your garage or go in and out of your garage frequently with your phone on you?

Klaus-rf

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
By any chance, do you keep your phone near your garage or go in and out of your garage frequently with your phone on you?
My phone is not "usually" near the car - the car is in the far end of an ~40 foot wide garage from the entry door to the house (attached garage).

As a general rule the only time I go near the car (within 15 feet) with my phone is when I'm installing/removing the charging cable or entering/leaving the car - usually when taking it out into the world.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It works perfectly for me. Be sure to distinguish between Sentry and Dashcam. The camera will start recording when you get into the car and it turns on ready to go somewhere. However, in my garage, the Sentry icon doesn’t light up in the center. I can still get some Dashcam video at the end of a drive but it will stop once parked and the car powers down.
I meant I'll walk past the car in the garage, and it will flash its lights at me. So it's full Sentry Mode.