V9/V10 Feature: Sentry Mode

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

potatoee

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
....and you have to watch every single one of them......
This brings up my big pet peeve with Sentry. I do wish Sentry would say *why* it got triggered, e.g. attempted entry, I saw a beautiful woman walking by, motion sensor, etc. It's just way too random for me and I wish I had a clue as to what might have happened. At the end of the day, I too walk around the car when I see the alerts. No damage seen, I ignore the warnings as well.

Perhaps I should get a dog to watch the recordings. Just to be sure. Seems like a good solution to me. I'll have to suggest it to my wife.

Country
Country
Has anyone had sentry mode work correctly? When I look at my sentry mode videos there are about 50 or 60 entries that show nobody or anything near the car in any of the 4 cameras. Has anyone had the same problem, or is that just the way it is?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anyone had sentry mode work correctly? When I look at my sentry mode videos there are about 50 or 60 entries that show nobody or anything near the car in any of the 4 cameras. Has anyone had the same problem, or is that just the way it is?
See if this helps explain things:
IIRC, each timestamped directory contains 40 files total, consisting of 10 1-minute long clips from each of four cameras. As @JWardell said, the "event" that caused sentry mode to alert and save the clips is usually found within the last 2 clips, so make sure you're looking at the clips with the latest timestamp within a directory. Don't forget to check the side camera recordings as well, since the cause may not appear on the front camera.
So the "event" that caused those 40 files to be saved will probably only appear in one or two of the files. And usually it's just a car driving by, or a person driving by.

Eventually, it's hoped that Tesla will add a way to indicate exactly which file contains the event that triggered the saving of the files.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
And usually it's just a car driving by, or a person driving by.
isnt that pretty much the same thing (at least until 'feature complete' happens)
Eventually, it's hoped that Tesla will add a way to indicate exactly which file contains the event that triggered the saving of the files.
mine always seem to be the 2nd video set from the end. So if there are 10 sets (40 total), the trigger will be in the 9th set.

My car is parked facing a wall with a ton of foot traffic, and I watch the front camera (2nd from the last) for when the lights flash - then note that timestamp and look at the other cameras.

gary in NY

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I recently had someone/thing hit my car. There is a gash right in front of the driver side bumper cover about mid-way in hight. I thought it might be from a HD lumber cart, but it's a bit higher that that. Anyway, I had sentry on manual, and apparently did not turn it on when this incident occurred. (My brilliant deduction after watching endless video of parking lot intervehiclular activities)

Here's my question: I turned Sentry Mode on, except when at home or work, but it will not turn off at home. I did not drive for two days, and lost 50 miles of range while in the garage (with 2 incidents recorded - must have been mice). So what's the deal with this? Nikki knows where home is, so why didn't she turn off sentry mode? We are back on manual for now.

Now the fun start with my insurance and the bodywork repair... Checking with Tesla on Monday.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here's my question: I turned Sentry Mode on, except when at home or work, but it will not turn off at home. I did not drive for two days, and lost 50 miles of range while in the garage (with 2 incidents recorded - must have been mice). So what's the deal with this?
I don't know. It works for me.
We are back on manual for now.
Alternately, you could leave Sentry Mode on, and then manually turn it off when you get home.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I recently had someone/thing hit my car. There is a gash right in front of the driver side bumper cover about mid-way in hight. I thought it might be from a HD lumber cart, but it's a bit higher that that. Anyway, I had sentry on manual, and apparently did not turn it on when this incident occurred. (My brilliant deduction after watching endless video of parking lot intervehiclular activities)

Here's my question: I turned Sentry Mode on, except when at home or work, but it will not turn off at home. I did not drive for two days, and lost 50 miles of range while in the garage (with 2 incidents recorded - must have been mice). So what's the deal with this? Nikki knows where home is, so why didn't she turn off sentry mode? We are back on manual for now.

Now the fun start with my insurance and the bodywork repair... Checking with Tesla on Monday.
Did you try the two scroll wheel reboot as well as the full power down reboot?

Who knows, maybe worth a try.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Parked my car on the street last night, not taking particular notice of the leafy bush right beside the car....
I woke up about 1:30am, and while contemplating life, saw 2 light flashes from the car over a 10 minute time period. Found a full flash drive this morning.
Any little breeze that moved leaves on the tree activated Sentry.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This week I bought a Roadie which is a ready-to-go little computer that you plug in instead of a USB stick to record all of your Sentry and DashCam video, then can easily watch, manage, and download from a phone app. It's similar to the DIY TeslaUSB though that doesn't work with a phone app and I never wanted to put in all the effort of setting that up Roadie was up and running in a minute. Check out my review:

batzman

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This week I bought a Roadie which is a ready-to-go little computer that you plug in instead of a USB stick to record all of your Sentry and DashCam video, then can easily watch, manage, and download from a phone app. It's similar to the DIY TeslaUSB though that doesn't work with a phone app and I never wanted to put in all the effort of setting that up Roadie was up and running in a minute. Check out my review:

Love mine! Purchased another for the wife’s car! It’s a no brainer.

WonkoTheSane

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Can I just drop a bigger memory card into it? I assume Tesla still manages the deletion of old files to clear up space.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can I just drop a bigger memory card into it? I assume Tesla still manages the deletion of old files to clear up space.
No...the operating system resides on that card too, it is essentially the PC's hard drive.

Roadie commented on my video to say that they are keeping many more "recent" videos (ignoring the car's commands to delete them) so it operates more like a regular dash cam and might have video that you forgot to hit the camera save button for. [No documentation of this] I think it's causing sentry videos to get deleted though so I need to spend a few more days with it. The slow wifi transfer is a big damper on things though.

JMON

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Looks pretty slick !

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This might be a dumb question, but how do you turn off Sentry Mode after it has been triggered?

I left my dad in my M3 with Sentry Mode on and I walked away from the car. Something he did triggered Sentry Mode. I tried to turn it off but it wasn't as simple as just hitting a button as far as I could tell.

I don't remember what I did but it eventually turned off. I was sitting in the car for a few minutes scrambling to try to figure it out.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ever since the first review of this on this site, their web site shows them out of stock, and no way to go on a wait list. If the manufacture reviews this, perhaps allow us to place a back order and give a time estimate for delivery?
It seems a waste of time having to continually go back to the web site and see if they available.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ever since the first review of this on this site, their web site shows them out of stock, and no way to go on a wait list. If the manufacture reviews this, perhaps allow us to place a back order and give a time estimate for delivery?
It seems a waste of time having to continually go back to the web site and see if they available.
Check it out now!