V9/V10 Feature: Sentry Mode

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello my Tesla friends,
have a simple question along with the background.

Background: I have bought the flash drive that is plugged into one of the front USB port. If I turn the dash cam on (that is, the "dash cam" icon has a "red" dot on it), I get recordings, for sure.

Question: Since I don't like having the dash cam on while I am driving (for one reason or another), am I expecting to find recordings of "incidents" reported while my car is parked and sentry mode is on? Ideally, I'd like to get these recording, as that's the purpose of me buying the flash drive.
Thanks
-Asim
If you don’t want it to record while you drive, but have sentry work, you would need to plug in the drive each time you park, then unplug it when you get in and drive.

aash73

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you don’t want it to record while you drive, but have sentry work, you would need to plug in the drive each time you park, then unplug it when you get in and drive.
Thanks Malinda, for the reply. You are right, in that I do not want the recording to happen while I am driving.
What you are recommending is painful. Won't I get the same effect when I start the recording when I start sentry mode and then turn it back on when I turn off Sentry mode?
Thanks

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@aash73, alternately you can manually turn off recording every time you start driving.

But honestly, whether or not you record the videos to a flash drive, the car itself is saving some frames from all of the cameras in internal memory. If the car is in an accident, those frames remain in memory and Tesla can access them. Realizing this, it's probably not worth worrying about - your Tesla is always watching.

Tesla cars keep more data than you think, including this video of a crash that totaled a Model 3

350VDC

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Even with the latest version I still have the problem that with Sentry mode ON, If I pre-cool the car, the pre-cooling will set the alarm off. It is Hot in Texas so the fan is blowing at high speed and the alarm is triggered.
This is not a very useful feature. Does anyone else see this problem?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Even with the latest version I still have the problem that with Sentry mode ON, If I pre-cool the car, the pre-cooling will set the alarm off. It is Hot in Texas so the fan is blowing at high speed and the alarm is triggered.
I’ve never had that happen

aash73

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks Malinda, for the reply. You are right, in that I do not want the recording to happen while I am driving.
What you are recommending is painful. Won't I get the same effect when I start the recording when I start sentry mode and then turn it back on when I turn off Sentry mode?
Thanks
Thanks for the reply. That's what I am planning on doing then. That is, turning on the recording when I turn on the sentry mode and turn the recording off when I get back in the car and turn of sentry mode.

aash73

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hmmm. I have never seen this happen.

bwilson4web

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
About 4 AM Saturday morning, a car stopped on the street in front of our house. I was up early getting a cup of coffee but soon as they saw my outline in the kitchen light, they scampered off. There have been reports of car break-ins because so many igiots store pistols in their cars. Breaking into cars has become a pick-your-own, gun store.

Sunday afternoon, I got home and enabled sentry mode. A short term fix, I'll eventually work up a motion activated camera. In the meanwhile, here is the car charging activity after enabling sentry:

The earlier activity is associated with the car communicating with Tesla.

Bob Wilson

Last edited:
Country
Country
Can anyone tell me why I am getting so many (about 40 to 50) sentry clips when no one is even close to the car? Here are the back, front, l&r sides of 4 of the clips. Can anyone tell me what extension I have to use to attach the videos.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can anyone tell me why I am getting so many (about 40 to 50) sentry clips when no one is even close to the car? Here are the back, front, l&r sides of 4 of the clips. Can anyone tell me what extension I have to use to attach the videos.
videos need to be hosted somewhere (like youtube). you can not attach a video directly here.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Watch the clips, if there is something in front of the car like a wall or bumper where you can see your headlights, then look for the lights flashing to show what triggered it. Usually in the last minute of each video directory.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I posted an answer to your question in the other thread where you asked.

It's also triggered by loud noises - things like fighter jets flying overhead, or loud trucks driving by.

Country
Country
Watch the clips, if there is something in front of the car like a wall or bumper where you can see your headlights, then look for the lights flashing to show what triggered it. Usually in the last minute of each video directory.
I watched 2 of the clips and never saw the headlights come on. There was a wall about 20 yards in front of the car. Dash cam clips of me driving down the road show up in the file marked for Sentry clips. A file marked for saved clips has about 30 to 40 clips from the 4 cameras. I have only pushed the save button one time. I have erased all the files and am going to start over and see what happens.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I watched 2 of the clips and never saw the headlights come on.
The headlights come on every time a recording is made. But it may be hard to notice in daylight.

IIRC, each timestamped directory contains 40 files total, consisting of 10 1-minute long clips from each of four cameras. As @JWardell said, the "event" that caused sentry mode to alert and save the clips is usually found within the last 2 clips, so make sure you're looking at the clips with the latest timestamp within a directory. Don't forget to check the side camera recordings as well, since the cause may not appear on the front camera.

Last edited:

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
IIRC, each timestamped directory contains 40 files total, consisting of 10 1-minute long clips from each of four cameras.
unless directly after an earlier event, then it will go back to the minute following the prior set of videos. when there are multiple triggers close together, some folders could have just a few minutes (or 1 minute) instead of 10 minutes.

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Dash cam clips of me driving down the road show up in the file marked for Sentry clips
That's normal. Let's say you're driving, park, enable Sentry, and then someone walks close to your car 5 minutes later. The car is going to save 10 minutes worth of clips. About 8 minutes of past clips that it already recorded, a 1 minute clip that includes the event, and then typically a 1 minute clip beyond the event. You'll have clips showing about 4 minutes of driving, 5 minutes of parking and the event, and then a 1 minute clip of whatever happened after the event.

EarlyBuyer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My car has been parked regularly in the same space within a private parking garage for more than a year with nothing remotely close to this before. Within a 14 hour period the car logged 770 sentry mode occurrences. Perhaps an all-night Cirque du Soleil performance was taking place behind the car? Has anyone else seen numbers like these?

sentry-mode-770-occurrances-jpg.29968