V9/V10 Feature: Sentry Mode

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@GDN , found it!
Note, I'm talking about parking at work, where I have sentry mode disabled.

I've had this happen when my battery was below 20%. It would say "Sentry mode deactivated due to battery under 20%". Then while charging, once the battery goes above 20%, sentry mode will activate. But if battery is above 20% to begin with, then sentry mode remains off for me. Strange bug.

EDIT - yep, just happened again this morning. Battery was at 19% when I arrived at work and plugged in. I noticed a notification on the Tesla app that Sentry mode was deactivated (even though it always should be at work). When I opened the app, it had charged to 21%, and showed Sentry Mode as being active.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We've got a few Sentry threads, I didn't remember reading it, but glad to know I'm not alone. I will say this was on the beta car too, so wasn't 100% surprised. I need to report the bug.

Have you ever noticed it giving you a really high number of Sentry mode events? I will go pull the drive before I forget and see what was happening on the recordings. I may not want to know however.

SimonMatthews

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here is the really interesting part - When I got in the car later to leave it said I have 37 events, yes 37. The ghosts or something/body must have been having a party in the garage last night. Or perhaps another bug and when it reactivated it showed a grand total number of sentry mode events. I haven't pulled the drive yet to see what is recorded.
Mice?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here is the really interesting part - When I got in the car later to leave it said I have 37 events, yes 37. The ghosts or something/body must have been having a party in the garage last night. Or perhaps another bug and when it reactivated it showed a grand total number of sentry mode events. I haven't pulled the drive yet to see what is recorded.
last time mine was below 20%, in a retail parking lot with lots of foot traffic, it also showed the events (even though not recorded), but that was directly following getting back in the car with the charge still under 20%.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I forgot about the parking garage reports. This was definitely during the thunder. There weren't any other cars real close by. The rain was so heavy it was crazy. The event and headlight flash definitely came with the loud clap of thunder. I believe there has to be some vibration or listening device which allowed this triggers. Maybe I need to reread part of this tread and look back at the Cookie Monster video to see what they triggered the headlight flash/ recording with.
Twice last night in a very large lightning storm, Sentry mode triggered the alarm. I had to turn Sentry mode off so I could get some sleep!

eXntrc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My Sentry Mode triggers events all the time. I think it triggers an event every single time there's motion. A car driving by. Someone walking by.

So far the only time I've had an alarm warning it was in a parking garage and from the video there was a car across from me starting and pulling out of the spot. That car had a big hemi in it. I'm assuming it also had a loud exhaust, so I would agree that the alarm part of Sentry is also tied to vibration.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My Sentry Mode triggers events all the time. I think it triggers an event every single time there's motion. A car driving by. Someone walking by.
I had to stop using Sentry Mode at work, because the spot I park in most often has a 5' high plant in front of it. It triggers dozens of events, so by the time I go to get lunch, 64 events are recorded. Naturally, that drains the battery quite a bit, I lose about 20 miles of range from a whole day of that.

Then again that parking lot is strange. The spot I park is right next to an abandoned BMW with New Jersey plates that's been sitting there for 5 years (that's why I park there, it never moves and no one approaches it). And at the opposite end of the road, every day there is a man in a red Chevy SUV that drops his wife off at work, and then he stays in the car with the engine running for 8 hours waiting to drive her home. And there's a Brazilian Capoeira place next to there that doubles as a summer camp, so there are kids running by. No wonder Sentry Mode is so busy.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had to stop using Sentry Mode at work, because the spot I park in most often has a 5' high plant in front of it. It triggers dozens of events, so by the time I go to get lunch, 64 events are recorded. Naturally, that drains the battery quite a bit, I lose about 20 miles of range from a whole day of that.

Then again that parking lot is strange. The spot I park is right next to an abandoned BMW with New Jersey plates that's been sitting there for 5 years (that's why I park there, it never moves and no one approaches it). And at the opposite end of the road, every day there is a man in a red Chevy SUV that drops his wife off at work, and then he stays in the car with the engine running for 8 hours waiting to drive her home. And there's a Brazilian Capoeira place next to there that doubles as a summer camp, so there are kids running by. No wonder Sentry Mode is so busy.
Think to my self, "what the heck kind of crazy place is this??" look over to profile... "ahhh... Florida. Of course."

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

my experience has been the battery drain is about the same if there is 1 triggered event or 50.
my parking spot at work has a ton of foot traffic - last spot in the lot along a sidewalk. most days I get 8-15 triggers, some days only 2 or 3, and on some weird days over 50. They all seem to have the same amount of battery drain.

Nautilus

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It used to be, like others have pointed out, that there was always at least one sentry event associated with returning to the car and opening the door. Lately I've noticed (over the last 2-3 firmware updates?) that if I approach the car from the rear or driver's side, I'm no longer generating a sentry event when I return to the car. It still always triggers if I walk past the front, even if I go directly to opening the driver's door.

Has anyone else noticed this? I'm wondering if it is an "unannounced" improvement in one of the recent firmware updates. My recent updates are: 2019.20.4.4, 24.4, 28.2, 28.3.1.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
my experience has been the battery drain is about the same if there is 1 triggered event or 50.
my parking spot at work has a ton of foot traffic - last spot in the lot along a sidewalk. most days I get 8-15 triggers, some days only 2 or 3, and on some weird days over 50. They all seem to have the same amount of battery drain.
At least according to Uncle Bjorn, recent firmware has significantly reduced power drain with Sentry Mode.

NR4P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There was a Sentry mode problem where if you exclude work or home, although it didn't record, the car did not sleep. That was fixed in 2019.24
I confirmed that. Overnight excess drain in my garage has been gone. However with the fan running after PARK, it can take up to 30 mins for the car to sleep.

Whether or not there are actual events that cause saved recordings doesn't affect the drain when Sentry is in use. The use of power is because 3 cameras are recording full time. The SAVE events probably are barely measurable. The cameras have to be recording 100% of the time or when there is an event, you won't have pre-event to see what caused the sentry to save files.

Today I had 2 full car alarms due to Sentry.
It was during a thunderstorm, pretty big one.
Both times I got the Sentry and Alarm events on cell phone.

I checked the car and nothing damaged. Pulled the files and nothing but heavy rain on the windshield.
I suspect with the numerous lightning strikes in and around the building, the ground shook the car enough.

aash73

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello my Tesla friends,
have a simple question along with the background.

Background: I have bought the flash drive that is plugged into one of the front USB port. If I turn the dash cam on (that is, the "dash cam" icon has a "red" dot on it), I get recordings, for sure.

Question: Since I don't like having the dash cam on while I am driving (for one reason or another), am I expecting to find recordings of "incidents" reported while my car is parked and sentry mode is on? Ideally, I'd like to get these recording, as that's the purpose of me buying the flash drive.
Thanks
-Asim