V9/V10 Feature: Sentry Mode

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I was driving today headed to the SC for some juice. I'd been in the car about 15 minutes when I got this notification on my phone !! The key is that that Sentry Mode wasn't on and the car was driving/in use. I was at 63 miles SOC, but was very surprised to get these messages, not just 1, but 3 of them.

View attachment 26757
This is something to always keep in mind. Sentry will turn off at 20%, or won't activate below that. I was at a sketch place the other day, had 65 miles on the clock. Only needed 15 to get home and was comfortable with losing probably 1 MPH with Sentry mode on. And yet, I couldn't override it.

DennisP

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was in drive and driving at the time of the messages. I had been in the car about 15 minutes when the messages were sent to the phone.
I had this same thing happen several times as I just competed at 2500 mile trip. Software 2019.6.2. One time I got 3 notices in a row just a few seconds apart.

sraatc17

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone else notice since this ...? Since SW update to 16.2 I have Sentry set to on except at home. Now I'm getting the grey x WAY more often than before, and each time i pull my thumb drive to find that it is full (0 free space at all). I copy over the files to my computer, re-format and it works great but a few days later its full again and i get the grey x. My guess is that the car does not delete old Sentry mode events like it does the dash cam and anytime a leaf blows by it starts recording and fills up the drive with videos of nothing.

So part of my problem is that I'm using a 32GB drive that is partitioned for use with music (leaving only 23 GB for TeslaCam), but I almost wish there was a way to tell the car that I'm not interested in the footage when the alert is on the screen and have it marked for deletion when the drive is becoming full. In the mean time i guess I'll get a larger thumb drive to test out my hypothesis.

Gordon87

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My understanding is that Sentry Mode does not overwrite on the drive; you need to delete the old files. That is unlike the dashcam driving video.

I have a 256 GB drive which doesn’t seem to get close to getting filled. One other suggestion - Get a 128 GB drive and use your 32 GB drive and just regularly swap them so you can clear one out.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone else notice since this ...? Since SW update to 16.2 I have Sentry set to on except at home. Now I'm getting the grey x WAY more often than before, and each time i pull my thumb drive to find that it is full (0 free space at all). I copy over the files to my computer, re-format and it works great but a few days later its full again and i get the grey x. My guess is that the car does not delete old Sentry mode events like it does the dash cam and anytime a leaf blows by it starts recording and fills up the drive with videos of nothing.
Yeah, like @Gordon87 mentioned above, Sentry recordings land in the Saved Clips folder, which do not automatically get cleared out. And yes, Sentry can be rather sensitive. If you leave it on in, say, a parking garage, you're likely to get several "events" by virtue of people walking past your car, and each one of those events results in approximately 1 GB of video being saved. With a 23 GB Dashcam partition, and an 8 GB rolling buffer, it only takes 15 Sentry events to fill up the partition and give you the gray X.

I used to have a similar setup to you on a 32 GB SanDisk Cruzer drive, but recently I traded up to a 500 GB Samsung T5 portable SSD for additional breathing room. They're still only 88 bucks on Amazon:

I also keep a USB-C-to-C cable with me in the car, so anytime I want to review the footage (or delete saved clips I don't want), I can do so from inside the car by plugging it into my phone... No laptop required.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you had also done a little dance, or a re-enactment of a Charlie Chaplin scene, you could have become Internet Famous.
To be honest I was kind of hoping to see a "look at the clown I spotted in my sentry mode camera" post in this forum, but it has been a couple of days so hope is fading.

should have worn my red nose.

sraatc17

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah, like @Gordon87 mentioned above, Sentry recordings land in the Saved Clips folder, which do not automatically get cleared out. And yes, Sentry can be rather sensitive. If you leave it on in, say, a parking garage, you're likely to get several "events" by virtue of people walking past your car, and each one of those events results in approximately 1 GB of video being saved. With a 23 GB Dashcam partition, and an 8 GB rolling buffer, it only takes 15 Sentry events to fill up the partition and give you the gray X.

I used to have a similar setup to you on a 32 GB SanDisk Cruzer drive, but recently I traded up to a 500 GB Samsung T5 portable SSD for additional breathing room. They're still only 88 bucks on Amazon:

I also keep a USB-C-to-C cable with me in the car, so anytime I want to review the footage (or delete saved clips I don't want), I can do so from inside the car by plugging it into my phone... No laptop required.
I ordered this from amazon but windows wont let me format it to fat32, I tried to format using the command prompt and I get an error saying it's to large for fat32. I can format to exfat but I'm not sure if that will work. Any tips?

BluestarE3

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I ordered this from amazon but windows wont let me format it to fat32, I tried to format using the command prompt and I get an error saying it's to large for fat32. I can format to exfat but I'm not sure if that will work. Any tips?
Use Linux. ;)

(Or a Mac or a third-party app if you must use Windows)

Gordon87

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

NR4P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not only does Sentry fill up a drive fairly fast, it also seems to trigger when I am about to enter the car. No matter what, there is always 1 Sentry event when I return to the car when away from home. A way to minimize this is to not save the file if the owner/driver unlocks the car within say 10 seconds. In a given day, thats 2-6 extra events for me.

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They should rejigger it so that there can't be more than one "event" per 10 minutes. Since 10 minutes is recorded anyway, just extend the end time for the first event. So if two things happen that trigger Hal 9 minutes apart, it should save one event that's roughly 19 minutes long.

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They should rejigger it so that there can't be more than one "event" per 10 minutes. Since 10 minutes is recorded anyway, just extend the end time for the first event. So if two things happen that trigger Hal 9 minutes apart, it should save one event that's roughly 19 minutes long.
I don't know, I think I like it better the way it is. If I had a single 19 minute recording, I wouldn't know if it was two things 9 minutes apart or three or more triggers in that 9 minute span, so I'd feel obligated to review the whole thing.

Currently, let's say there's a trigger, followed by another 3 minutes later, then another 6 minutes later. What I've seen is that the first event saves 10 minutes of video, the next saves 3-4 minutes, and the last saves 6-7 minutes. So you still have ~19 minutes of recording, but in 3 separate folders with timestamps of the triggers. I prefer that.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I discovered a Senty mode bug or low SOC bug today. Yesterday on the way to work I dropped below 20% SOC and received messages on my phone that "Sentry mode has been turned off due to battery charge reaching 20%". The car charged last night and I went out in the garage this morning and the lights flashed at me - surprise you're on cadnid camera. To say the least I looked at the app and it showed Sentry Mode was active.

So the bug as I see it, once it disables Sentry due to low SOC, when SOC is once again in a safe range, above 20% it doesn't check your GPS exclusions before reactivating Sentry mode. It reactivated at home, where I've got it excluded from enabling.

Here is the really interesting part - When I got in the car later to leave it said I have 37 events, yes 37. The ghosts or something/body must have been having a party in the garage last night. Or perhaps another bug and when it reactivated it showed a grand total number of sentry mode events. I haven't pulled the drive yet to see what is recorded.

Last edited: