V9 Features: Tesla Arcade (was Atari)

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I get the feeling I'm in the minority. But all the arcade games in the world mean nothing to me. And if I had any say in it, I'd can the arcade software engineers and hire more fsd software personnel.
Adding games and other "toys" are the types of things software engineers do in their free time, just for the heck of it.
Sometimes, people like the results and Tesla decides to actually incorporate it into the product.

In other words, I don't think Tesla hired anybody to work exclusively on video games - it's a few peoples' side hobby.

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I get the feeling I'm in the minority. But all the arcade games in the world mean nothing to me. And if I had any say in it, I'd can the arcade software engineers and hire more fsd software personnel.
I appreciate the effort of providing icing on the cupcake and it must be a fairly inexpensive endeavor but that is all it is, sugar on an already sweet (car) treat.
I know I'm in the minority of Tesla owners, in that I don't own a smart phone and never have. I do have an iPad, which I use as my phone key. But I don't have any music playlists on it, and I can't make or take calls while I'm in the car. I also don't have a garage, so I don't have Homelink. Oh, and I have AP but not FSD.

But that doesn't mean that if I had my say, I'd lay off everyone that works on, say, making phone calls or integrating smart phone music lists, or Homelink. I want Tesla to be successful in the mass market, and all those things contribute, even if they don't help me personally.

And as you say, the games are probably not a big effort. In fact, I suspect a lot of the effort they do take is from whomever works on securing the rights to the games...and those are not people who would otherwise be coding. Since Tesla doesn't run advertising in the conventional sense, I think that's a closer equivalency: Tesla decided to go without conventional ad people but does more of this kind of thing.

Of course, there do have to be some "arcade software engineers." But I have the feeling those are a dime a dozen compared to getting people who really know how to work on FSD features. As some have suggested, it might even be a kind of "trainee" job, from which talented people can eventually work their way up to more mission-critical car systems.

AutopilotFan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Of course, there do have to be some "arcade software engineers." But I have the feeling those are a dime a dozen compared to getting people who really know how to work on FSD features. As some have suggested, it might even be a kind of "trainee" job, from which talented people can eventually work their way up to more mission-critical car systems.
I've got a theory (not bunnies) that Tesla recently hired a number of software engineers, possibly for the visualizations needed for FSD, that have extensive arcade experience. In order to get them used to Tesla's operating system, graphics, software development processes, and source control systems, they asked those engineers to work on these games. The software engineers learn the things they need to know to work on Tesla systems, and Tesla gets features like this that create a lot of buzz.

Think of it as a cross between training and advertising. :)

airj1012

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
chess coming to the arcade
I don't understand why Tesla publishes these advertisements so far in advance to actually releasing the functionality. There are no new detections on TeslaFi that would show this release is actually being rolled out to end users. The same thing happened with Dog Mode. Potentially a personal preference but they should actually have the release ready to go and have started the roll out before making the claim "Chess begins rolling out to the Tesla Arcade globally today"

Flashgj

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't understand why Tesla publishes these advertisements so far in advance to actually releasing the functionality. There are no new detections on TeslaFi that would show this release is actually being rolled out to end users. The same thing happened with Dog Mode. Potentially a personal preference but they should actually have the release ready to go and have started the roll out before making the claim "Chess begins rolling out to the Tesla Arcade globally today"
You haven’t figured out by now that “today” in Musk-anese Translates to “sometime soon”.

airj1012

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
But this isn't Musk tweeting. This is the social media department. They have complete control over this. I know its a stupid thing to get hung up on, but I don't get it.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
everything that comes out of Tesla's social media department (fill in ANY Tesla department here) has Elon's fingers in it.