V9 Features: Nav on Autopilot

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

NOGA$4ME

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think you bring up a good point. But I see that it varies quite a bit from offramp to offramp. On some offramps it's actually pretty smooth and "human like". On others, it's a quick jerk over. I'm wondering how much is due to lane markings (or lack thereof). I've noticed that usually it puts the blinker on just before making the exit, but on one in particular, it puts the blinker on very early and even makes a preliminary move to the right, only to quit the attempt (as it realizes the exit lane hasn't yet started, and then jerks it back into the offramp once it does recognize it.

NOGA$4ME

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, all the ramps have visible lines in my case too, but in the one case there is an additional shoulder line, or maybe a small break in the shoulder line prior to the actual exit lane that throws it off (at least that's what I'm thinking). It's almost that the exits with poorer markings behave better!

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
i've commented here a few times that my model three cannot NoAP the east bound 99 exit ramp to northbound 91. other exits are smooth as can be, but that exit has the car start to exits. shudder, crap out and aim me directly at the barrier between the freeway the the exit ramp. not good.

took a closer look at that exit last week and that exit is missing the white line between the exit and the gravel shoulder and I think that is the problem. Now unless I take a can of spray paint to "fix the problem" and see if NoAP does a better job of it, this is supposition, but it is the only exit missing that white shoulder line and the one exit that NoAP cannot maneuver.

Long Ranger

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It definitely varies a lot by offramp. It's quite smooth on most of the ones I take, but abrupt on others. I disable NOA before an unknown exit if I have a passenger.

I recall someone here saying that it follows the shoulder line quite literally, so if the shoulder line shifts abruptly, so will the car. I haven't tested that much, but here's one spot where I know the lane change is abrupt, and the shoulder line has a corresponding shift.
https://goo.gl/maps/UTXG1x6QApRn8x9t6

Jarettp

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm having issues with it just flat out being in the wrong lane for my exit. NOAP is dogsh*t in northern Virginia on 95. My exit, it gets over 2 lanes when it only needs to get over 1 then tries to come back to the first exit lane. There's an exit that it will take everytime no matter what my destination is. If you have hov turned on it will try to steer me into the closed express lane gate, there's a part of the highway where it will send me 5 lanes to the right for f*ck all reason. I emailed them about a lot of this stuff but it's like the info is going into a black hole.

Gordon87

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I drive using NOA on I-290 West in Chicago. NOA always stops just when I need to take the same exit, requiring me to take over and exit the highway.

Scubastevo80

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I drive using NOA on I-290 West in Chicago. NOA always stops just when I need to take the same exit, requiring me to take over and exit the highway.
I don't use NOA for any of the 3 exits I usually take on 280W in NJ. For my usual exit at the bottom of a hill, it won't even get over, perhaps because of the highway speed versus short runway to move over the dashed line. Another exit is at the beginning of a portion of the highway where the road bends left. Basically, you go almost straight to take an exit which is plenty wide and has enough distance to slow down. As soon as the lane appears, the car jerks right and may or may not hit the curb on that side (I have always cancelled NoA in fear of curbing wheels). The last is another somewhat short ramp that may or may not have traffic backed up. The car puts on the turn signal as in other cases, but simply fails to move over. In defense of autopilot, none of these scenarios except #2 are straightforward and there are actions I may take for safety reasons that I don't believe the car would (e.g. crossing over a solid line to have sufficient time to slow and queue up for the exit). I hope neural net makes this better, otherwise EAP (for me personally) is no more than TACC and lane keeping assist.

Mr. Spacely

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It would be nice to cancel lane change by using one of the scroll wheels. Its is kind of a pain to reach for the screen if it is making a bad choice.

Cancel lane change by using your turn signal. If it is trying to go right, pull down the left turn signal half way and it cancels...

Madmolecule

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Cancel lane change by using your turn signal. If it is trying to go right, pull down the left turn signal half way and it cancels...
I will give that a try. Although that reminds me, in 20,000 miles, I have not mastered the turn signal. Every time I try to cancel the left signal I turn the right on. I have tried a few different techniques but I over or under do it, nearly every time. It would also be helpful is the turn signal icon doubled in size when it is turned on. It would be nice if this feature was tied to music volume.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Nav on Autopilot lane change anomaly.

Normally, I take over to complete the lane change when it feels like it's aborting. But there was nobody near me this time, so I just let it go to see what it would do. And it did eventually complete the lane change.

My best guess is that it got confused by the appearance of tire tracks in the water on the road, and temporarily thought that they were lane lines.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My best guess is that it got confused by the appearance of tire tracks in the water on the road, and temporarily thought that they were lane lines.
IDK... this last weekend, I drove up to Seattle, and going thru the always-under-construction-Tacoma, there was a stretch of a couple miles where the lanes were shifted over, and the old lane markers were only partially removed and still showing. AP didn't flinch in the least on where it needed to be. IIRC, also did an AP lane change (non-NoA) and it was perfect. So think in your case, there was something besides the tire tracks in the rain to throw it off the lane change.