HOT V9 Features: Dashcam

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

StromTrooperM3

Country
Country
are any of you seeing any issues with the times being off by 3 hours? If the file name is 2019-06-01_17-46-50-front date modified in Windows is 2:46pm? The footage is for sure from 5:46pm not 2:46

1559438031471-png.26458

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
are any of you seeing any issues with the times being off by 3 hours? If the file name is 2019-06-01_17-46-50-front date modified in Windows is 2:46pm? The footage is for sure from 5:46pm not 2:46

View attachment 26458
Yep, I see the same thing. The file times used to be set in UTC, but as of 2019.16.x (which also changed how dashcam files are named), the file times appear to be set in Pacific Time.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm done with this f*ck!ng dash cam.

Second time I've needed it, and the second time it's failed to properly record what I need.

This morning I was driving along when, whoops!, a lampshade of all things comes flying out of the pickup truck bed ahead of me. I was on the highway going about 70 and there were cars on either side of me, so I couldn't swerve. I was on AP but paying attention, hands on the wheel. I grabbed control and steered as far away to the left as I could without going out of my lane but still clipped it on the front right corner. I pulled up along side the pickup truck and rolled my window down and tried to wave the guy down but he was on the phone and had no clue and kind of waved back at me and just kept driving.

Having learned my lesson the last time, I waited about a minute to 90 seconds before pressing the record button. When I got to the office, here's what I found:

The incident occurred around 7:14 AM. How do I know this? Well, because I have footage from 7:16 to 7:22 in my saved folder and it's just after the incident!!! So then I went to my recent folder and thought maybe it would be there. Nope. My recent folder has clips up to 7:03, then a giant blank, and then re-starts at 7:23!!! So somehow, everything from 7:03 to 7:16 is gone.

I was planning on getting a front and rear system because the quality of the tesla camera isn't great anyway, but now this cemented it. I can't understand why this thing failed to save and why it's so erratic at how it saves stuff. I'll still keep running it for Sentry and because the repeaters offer useful views....if I ever get them to properly save. I should have just let the footage roll and not tried to save it, just saved it manually when I got to work.

What a bunch of crap.

Oh, and PPF totally paid for itself. The marks should wipe right off the PPF with a light polish or, at worst, I will have to replace the PPF. The PPF itself looks to be intact with just the scuffs on it. I have no doubt that I would have been looking at a respray of the front airdam otherwise.

Edit for pic. This pic makes it seem worse. The bright spot on the left is the deflection of the concrete. Look at the smudges on the right.

da6c07a2-0ae7-4327-836f-fdd0f6f94e75-jpeg.26597
4f0fa215-9eb3-4080-8e21-5a117c71195d-jpeg.26598

RickO2018

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Have not really paid attention to time codes yet, but I am still mystified why my Right Repeater does not seem to record about 60% of the time. The files associated with this repeater, (usually those saved in "saved clips" directory) show "0 bytes" while left and front record data. Anyone else experiencing this? I emailed Tesla service from my account asking for assistance, but they have not replied. Any similar experiences?

SimonMatthews

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Have not really paid attention to time codes yet, but I am still mystified why my Right Repeater does not seem to record about 60% of the time. The files associated with this repeater, (usually those saved in "saved clips" directory) show "0 bytes" while left and front record data. Anyone else experiencing this? I emailed Tesla service from my account asking for assistance, but they have not replied. Any similar experiences?
Try refomatting the filesystem that contains the TeslaCam folder.

undergrove

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For us, all three cameras work consistently when we Save in Dashcam mode while driving. However, with files saved in Sentry Mode, one or the other camera is frequently missing, but not always. It is very inconsistent. Most often it is the right camera, but sometimes the left, and much more rarely the forward camera. If one side is missing the other is usually present.

I have a theory that Sentry Mode buffers the images in memory and only writes to disk when something triggers an event. But that memory is limited, so it chooses what is most interesting to retain (motion). In very static situations the images tend to degrade, because the variable MPEG compression doesn't save many keyframes. Perhaps if the situation is too static, no keyframes are stored and so no camera file for that minute. This is just speculation on my part. I still don't know how to explain why the right camera is the one most often missing for us. I have seen others say that for them it is most often the left camera.

It does not seem to be related to drive speed. I have experimented with a wide range of drives whose write speed I have tested. Speed doesn't seem to make much difference. Newer versions of the firmware do seem to be getting better.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For us, all three cameras work consistently when we Save in Dashcam mode while driving. However, with files saved in Sentry Mode, one or the other camera is frequently missing, but not always. It is very inconsistent. Most often it is the right camera, but sometimes the left, and much more rarely the forward camera. If one side is missing the other is usually present.

I have a theory that Sentry Mode buffers the images in memory and only writes to disk when something triggers an event. But that memory is limited, so it chooses what is most interesting to retain (motion). In very static situations the images tend to degrade, because the variable MPEG compression doesn't save many keyframes. Perhaps if the situation is too static, no keyframes are stored and so no camera file for that minute. This is just speculation on my part. I still don't know how to explain why the right camera is the one most often missing for us. I have seen others say that for them it is most often the left camera.

It does not seem to be related to drive speed. I have experimented with a wide range of drives whose write speed I have tested. Speed doesn't seem to make much difference. Newer versions of the firmware do seem to be getting better.
Mine mostly has been the right, and recently the front. Which my parking spot at work, where sentry is primarily used, I park facing a wall next to another employee on the right. So very little motion on the front or right, while the left is along a sidewalk and 99% of the time where the trigger came from. So in my case, the side with the motion is the best performing

RickO2018

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I noticed after viewing Sentry files that, as before, my right repeater would often be missing, as others have noticed too. However, recently I realized the sun was shining fairly brightly on the right side during this recent event. I wonder if the cameras go into a safe mode in order to protect the sensors when the optics are hit with too much light? Everyone knows you don't want to aim any digital camera directly at the sun without a filter.

RickO2018

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting update on inconsistent "zero byte" video files from right repeater. I reported this issue to Tesla service through their online help request, and yesterday finally got a response. First step was to check for the obvious, dirt or other obstruction on the camera (this step doesn't really address the zero byte recording issue). Second suggestion was the scroll wheel reset; and the third step, a touch screen reboot. If the problem still existed, they suggested a service call. After checking last night before any of these steps, I saw only two instances where right repeater files reported zero bytes. So for now the problem has not reoccured so I will place this issue on the back burner.

RickO2018

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is the specific text from their email:
"... 1 - Scroll Wheel Reset - Hold the scroll wheels down on your steering wheel until the touch screen goes off and then comes back with a Tesla T icon and then you can release the scroll wheels.
2 - Touch Screen Reboot - From the touch screen hit the Control Menu (little car icon on lower left side of screen) and then choose safety and security and then you can hit power off and then agree to the shut off. (Once you do this leave it off for a full minute without touching any controls, handles, pedals, buttons etc) After a minute open the door and close it to bring the car back on. ..."

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
This is the specific text from their email:
"... 1 - Scroll Wheel Reset - Hold the scroll wheels down on your steering wheel until the touch screen goes off and then comes back with a Tesla T icon and then you can release the scroll wheels.
2 - Touch Screen Reboot - From the touch screen hit the Control Menu (little car icon on lower left side of screen) and then choose safety and security and then you can hit power off and then agree to the shut off. (Once you do this leave it off for a full minute without touching any controls, handles, pedals, buttons etc) After a minute open the door and close it to bring the car back on. ..."
All good stuff.

FWIW with procedure #2 in your list: have your HVAC on when you employ that shut down technique........don't touch anything as per the instructions......and wait for the HVAC to shut down and then........wait another 30ish seconds for one more sound from the HVAC, which is (I am assuming now) the temperature blend door going to a null (neutral) position.

I was told last year that to get the full power down benefit, one must wait to hear that last sound coming from the HVAC.....about 190 seconds after the initial start of this procedure.

YMMV

undergrove

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting update on inconsistent "zero byte" video files from right repeater. I reported this issue to Tesla service through their online help request, and yesterday finally got a response. First step was to check for the obvious, dirt or other obstruction on the camera (this step doesn't really address the zero byte recording issue). Second suggestion was the scroll wheel reset; and the third step, a touch screen reboot. If the problem still existed, they suggested a service call. After checking last night before any of these steps, I saw only two instances where right repeater files reported zero bytes. So for now the problem has not reoccured so I will place this issue on the back burner.
While my right camera is most likely to have zero byte files, sometimes the right works and the left and/or the front is zero. Occasionally all three work. These zero byte or altogether missing files only happen for us in Sentry Mode. In Dashcam mode while driving, all three always work.

Therefore I don't think this is a Camera problem, it's not a drive speed problem, and powering down and resets have made no difference for us in Sentry mode. Again, my theory is that this inconsistency is due to wonkyness in hardware memory buffering in Sentry mode. Dashcam mode seems to buffer directly to the drive.