HOT V9 Features: Dashcam

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The file dates on the saved Sentry Mode clips are messed up. For example, it caught me returning to the car the other day, and while the file name is correct (15:50 or so), the dates of the file clips is just before midnight.

Code:
Apr  5 23:53 2019-04-05_15-53-front.mp4
Apr  5 23:53 2019-04-05_15-53-left_repeater.mp4
Apr  5 23:53 2019-04-05_15-53-right_repeater.mp4
all 10 minutes of clips are dated 23:53 as is the directory itself.
Dashcam files are named using local time, but the "last modified" timestamps on the files themselves are UTC. That's why it seems like your dashcam can see 8 hours into the future. :)

BluestarE3

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Dashcam files are named using local time, but the "last modified" timestamps on the files themselves are UTC. That's why it seems like your dashcam can see 8 hours into the future. :)
That's the new "predictive intrusion" feature. It shows you ahead of time who will be simply gawking over your car and who will mean to do it bodily harm. This way, you can opt to not to park there later or else show the video to your local police and have the would-be perp arrested preemptively.

Nautilus

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's the new "predictive intrusion" feature. It shows you ahead of time who will be simply gawking over your car and who will mean to do it bodily harm. This way, you can opt to not to park there later or else show the video to your local police and have the would-be perp arrested preemptively.
Wasn't there a movie about that???
minority_report_newspaper-jpg.24748

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You mean like this? ;)

EDIT: Jinx, @Nautilus!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
2) on my way home I saw an accident. After I passed it I pressed the camera icon which is supposed to save the last 10 minutes of recordings. However it saved from the point I pressed the camera forward. There was no video footage prior.
to add to the prior comments, also when you want to save something, wait a minute or so after whatever event happens before pressing the button. if you do immediately, it will start from the previous full minute, not the current partial minute.

3 SHMRCK

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
M3 Dashcam (THANKS Elon!!!!)

When I checked my M3 dashcam thumb drive I found a bunch of 10 minute clips of nothing BUT the back wall of my garage.
These clips were obviously taken while the car was "tucked in" for the night and Parked.
What triggers this capture ???

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
M3 Dashcam (THANKS Elon!!!!)

When I checked my M3 dashcam thumb drive I found a bunch of 10 minute clips of nothing BUT the back wall of my garage.
These clips were obviously taken while the car was "tucked in" for the night and Parked.
What triggers this capture ???
those are in the "recent" folder I assume? it will record the last hour of the car being awake.
(and records in 1 minute increments)

Mistersandman

Country
Country
Can someone explain something to me. Yesterday I pulled into my garage and parked the car like any other day. A little over an hour later I went back into the car and hit the dashcam button to download a video of my drive home to the usb stock. When I looked at the files on the usb they were all videos of near darkness of the car just sitting in the garage for the past hour. The video of my drive home was nowhere to be found. Note that when the car was in my garage I didn’t have sentry mode on. Are the cameras always recording? I was kinda bummed because there was something important I was hoping to view on the video of my drive home but it was gone.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can someone explain something to me. Yesterday I pulled into my garage and parked the car like any other day. A little over an hour later I went back into the car and hit the dashcam button to download a video of my drive home to the usb stock. When I looked at the files on the usb they were all videos of near darkness of the car just sitting in the garage for the past hour. The video of my drive home was nowhere to be found. Note that when the car was in my garage I didn’t have sentry mode on. Are the cameras always recording? I was kinda bummed because there was something important I was hoping to view on the video of my drive home but it was gone.
it will save the last hour - regardless if the last hour was your last drive or the last 60 minutes it was sitting idle. if you need to save the drive, tapping the cam button when you park will save the last 10 minutes.

jimsaxman

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Having seen videos of near misses of potential accidents while the vehicle was on autopilot, that were presumably recorded on the Tesla Dash Cam, I am wondering how these videos were recorded. Did the sentry button have to be pressed? Does the car automatically record when it is in motion? How does that work?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Having seen videos of near misses of potential accidents while the vehicle was on autopilot, that were presumably recorded on the Tesla Dash Cam, I am wondering how these videos were recorded. Did the sentry button have to be pressed? Does the car automatically record when it is in motion? How does that work?
if a usb drive is installed, the car will record the last 60 minutes (overwriting the older). The last 10 minutes can be saved at any time by tapping the dashcam button.
When Sentry mode is activated, 10 minutes worth of videos will be saved each time motion triggers it (roughly the prior 9 minutes and the following 1 minute). These will be saved in the "saved" folder and will not be overwritten.

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Once you stop the car, you can recover the last hour of recordings by stopping recording (by holding down on the DashCam icon) then pulling the USB drive immediately after completing your drive.

The car does not go to sleep immediately after parking and may also remove footage over an hour old after waking the car from sleep.

As @MelindaV suggested, I recommend you get in the habit of pressing the DashCam icon soon after experiencing an event you’d like to keep.

Mistersandman

Country
Country
Interesting. So it’s always recording even if sentry mode is off and sitting parked in the garage. I’m usually pretty good about hitting it after an event but in this case about an hour after I got home my wife asked me if a particular car was parked on a street leading into my neighborhood after an alert was posted on Nextdoor. So was I hoping to verify it with the teslacam. Does it timeout after x amount of time? Anyways, am I the only one who thinks it shouldn’t be doing this?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting. So it’s always recording even if sentry mode is off and sitting parked in the garage.
Yes, as long as the car doesn't go to sleep.
One of the things Sentry mode does is prevent the car from going to sleep so that it can continue recording the entire time it's parked.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I recommend you get in the habit of pressing the DashCam icon soon after experiencing an event you’d like to keep.
and do this a minute or so after whatever you are wanting to save. tapping the button immediately will save the last 10 complete minutes, but the incident may have been in the current partial minute, and therefore missed.

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
and do this a minute or so after whatever you are wanting to save. tapping the button immediately will save the last 10 complete minutes, but the incident may have been in the current partial minute, and therefore missed.
I might be wrong, but I’ve been noticing partial last minutes when I save my DashCam footage with firmware versions that came out after the initial DashCam release. This suggests it’s saving up to the button press. Can anyone confirm that this is not the case with current firmware versions?

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
TeslaCam is seriously buggy. Really thinking of just getting some front and rear standalone dash cams and being done with it. Between the bad light processing, the long focus of the front camera and something that happened yesterday, I think I'm done with it.

Last night I witnessed an accident. I was stopped at a light with three lanes through. The middle of the three lanes was open. As I watched, a pickup drove through the middle of the three lanes a good 10 seconds after the light had changed (totally wasn't paying attention) and got hit by a car coming left to right. I hit record to save the last 10 minutes.

When I went to pull the clip, the footage of the accident is missing`! I have the clip labeled 2019-5-16_17-44-front , showing me driving toward the intersection. However it stops short of me pulling up to the intersection. I'm not sure how long it is in time, but I can barely see it in the whole distance. It might even be a full minute. Ironically I am seen passing the truck about to run the red light in this clip.

The next clip is labeled, as expected, 2019-5-16_17-45-front, however there is a break in the action. The video starts with the very last seconds of the crash, and the following minute of aftermath. There is no video of me pulling up to the intersection and stopping, and no video of the truck passing me on the right and blowing the red light. See the screenshots below. You can see in the first image, the end of -44, how far away from the intersection I am. You can see it way ahead in the distance. And at the first second of -45, you can see I'm already at the intersection.

What gives? Why would it blank out like this? Running a 256G SSD that has been perfect for the last two weeks.

before-jpg.25971

after-jpg.25972

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I went to pull the clip, the footage of the accident is missing`! I have the clip labeled 2019-5-16_17-44-front , showing me driving toward the intersection. However it stops short of me pulling up to the intersection. I'm not sure how long it is in time, but I can barely see it in the whole distance. It might even be a full minute.
It seems like there was a change to the way the last 10 minutes of video clips are saved in 2019.12.x, and unfortunately it causes there to be a gap in the second-to-last clip saved when you tap the button. (I wrote up my recent experience with this behavior here, and it sounds similar to yours.)

The same thing can also happen with Sentry Mode when it logs an "event", because it effectively does the same thing (taps the dashcam button for you) when it saves the last ten minutes of video. This introduces the possibility that the Sentry Mode event footage will omit the triggering event itself (as was noted in the Sentry Mode thread)... not ideal. :)

Hopefully this unwanted side effect of whatever tweak they've made in 2019.12.x will go away soon, but to your point... If having reliable, high-quality footage is a priority, a standalone dashcam solution is probably the way to go.