HOT V9 Features: Dashcam

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The .REC files are created by the fsck (file system consistency check) process which checks and fixes file system corruption. About the most you can do is delete them. Think .RECovered, not .RECorded. If they're spontaneously appearing, then my guess is that the car is automatically running fsck at some point to correct problems.

This probably won't work with iPhones, unless you're using a Qi pad or something in between.
Aha! I assumed they were .recorded. :) No idea why I only have four .mp4 files in the TeslaCam folder, and they all kill VLC. It doesn't help that my last several drives are <10min, so Tesla may just corrupt files when powering down or something.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Bummer. I ordered a USB 2.0 Y-splitter like that, I did not realize the iPhone required data to charge.
Which iPhone do you have? Wireless charging capable? There is another option actually if you’re using direct wire to the iPhone you could run a QC3.0 adapter from the 12V in the center console under the armrest. It’s a little work but it will charge your phone faster and keep your USB ports free under the dock.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Which iPhone do you have? Wireless charging capable? There is another option actually if you’re using direct wire to the iPhone you could run a QC3.0 adapter from the 12V in the center console under the armrest. It’s a little work but it will charge your phone faster and keep your USB ports free under the dock.
Xs, so wireless capable but I’ve yet to buy into wireless charging.

ronmis

Country
Country
I bought this (Sabrent 4-Port USB 3.0) usb hub from amazon and connected the following
1. Nomad Wireless charger (1 wire to free usb port, 2nd wire to the usb hub), my iphone xs max charged fine at 952mA
2. USB with music
3. USB for Dashcam video

Everything worked perfectly well. I'll do some more testing and see if it continues to work well.

One thing I noticed is I plugged in my car and it said 4 hours to charge to 90%, When I got into the car, the dash cam started recording and the charging time went to 13 hours! So looks like when the dash cam is recording and you are charging your car, the estimated time of completion will jump up. Did anyone else notice this behavior?

slotti

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
so I tried 2 different drives, and both become corrupted after about 2 or 3 hrs of recording. I have to take them out and reformat or repair. Anyone has a recommendation for a drive that works?

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just had to repair the TeslaCam partition of my USB stick. Interestingly, the last recorded video was taken just before I plugged into a public charging station in an underground parking garage last Friday, three stories down with no LTE coverage. I've had the "x" ever since then.

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Aha! I assumed they were .recorded. :) No idea why I only have four .mp4 files in the TeslaCam folder, and they all kill VLC. It doesn't help that my last several drives are <10min, so Tesla may just corrupt files when powering down or something.
Any file older than 1 hour will be deleted immediately the next time the car wakes up if you didn't hit the save button.
Ex: if you drive for 1 hour and park for 1 hour, the next time you wake the car it will delete everything.
And yes, the last file being recorded when the car goes to sleep will be corrupt (unless you hit save first)

2Kap

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Got the grey x for the first time this morning. Gonna pull the usb drive and repair and see if that fixes it like everyone else has been doing. I went ahead and reported it as a bug through the voice command.

mkg3

Country
Country
Does the dash cam switch to IR in dark or just dark images?

I see that there are several options being discussed of splitting the dash cam usb and phone charger by Y splitter or by a hub. The issue being that the power is being split between the dash cam and phone; hence, degrading the power available to charge.

Perhaps its easier to have 10,000mA power pack driving the two phones and the power pack into the other USB port so that when not being discharged, its charging to keep it topped off. this way, the flash drive is in one USB and the other into the power pack.

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Perhaps its easier to have 10,000mA power pack driving the two phones and the power pack into the other USB port so that when not being discharged, its charging to keep it topped off. this way, the flash drive is in one USB and the other into the power pack
Why not run a low profile (right angle plug) cable from one of the rear USB ports for phone charging if you really need 2 devices charging at once?

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There are several ways to do this, in my case I was looking for a wireless solution that would allow me to continue to fully utilize both front USB ports for charging while adding a few additional ports for data and charging.

I am using a small 4 port USB hub and a wireless USB flash drive, so now I have a total of 5 front ports that can be used for data and charging, 2 of these are dedicated to phone charging, 1 is dedicated to the flash drive for the TeslaCam, leaving 2 unused ports.

The flash drive came formatted FAT32 out of the box, mine is a 32GB but they sell other sizes as well and I am using it for music, the TeslaCam and some photos. You can view the TeslaCam images on your phone and you don’t need to physically remove it from the car to do this.

In my case total cost was $33. The SanDisk 32GB Connect Wireless Stick Flash Drive was $20 and the USB Hub, BYEASY 4 Port USB 3.0 Ultra Slim Portable Data Hub was $13.

IMG_5360.jpg

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There are several ways to do this, in my case I was looking for a wireless solution that would allow me to continue to fully utilize both front USB ports for charging while adding a few additional ports for data and charging.

I am using a small 4 port USB hub and a wireless USB flash drive, so now I have a total of 5 front ports that can be used for data and charging, 2 of these are dedicated to phone charging, 1 is dedicated to the flash drive for the TeslaCam, leaving 2 unused ports.

The flash drive came formatted FAT32 out of the box, mine is a 32GB but they sell other sizes as well and I am using it for music, the TeslaCam and some photos. You can view the TeslaCam images on your phone and you don’t need to physically remove it from the car to do this.

In my case total cost was $33. The SanDisk 32GB Connect Wireless Stick Flash Drive was $20 and the USB Hub, BYEASY 4 Port USB 3.0 Ultra Slim Portable Data Hub was $13.

View attachment 16164
Which wire do I cut to defuse this?

Country
Country
Bummer. I ordered a USB 2.0 Y-splitter like that, I did not realize the iPhone required data to charge.
I discovered this last night as well. I have one of those y-splitters and if I plug the splitter into the car and my USB music drive into the data side, that works fine, but plugging my iPhone X into the power-only side just gives a message to "unlock the phone to use accessories" and it never actually charges. Will be trying my wireless pad this evening, instead of a lightning cable and I suspect that will work fine.

(Now if only my camera drive wouldn't get corrupted every single day, we'd be getting somewhere...)

Mistersandman

Country
Country
There must be some people using this feature without any problems at all. I’d like to hear from them on what’s working. Or was this feature this buggy even during Tesla’s testing and they released it anyways?