V9 Feature: Sentry Mode

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Don't check teslacam footage every time you get an event. Wait until you see something wrong with your car (or suspect it), then check.
You also have to worry about your USB drive becoming full from all of the saved event footage.

stlgrym3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
i turned it on for the first time this morning. does my Tesla phone app get alerts from Sentry Mode? also where do i see the video footage? where do they stored? am i able to delete them?

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
i turned it on for the first time this morning. does my Tesla phone app get alerts from Sentry Mode? also where do i see the video footage? where do they stored? am i able to delete them?
This thread should have all the information you need.

Mods: I suggest you merge the current thread with the sentry mode thread.

stlgrym3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
turned on the Sentry Mode for the first time today and received 5 alerts. when i press the "i" next to the alert message, nothing pops up. how do i actually view those alerts? do i have to insert an USB drive in the glovebox before activating Sentry Mode?

Toadmanor

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
turned on the Sentry Mode for the first time today and received 5 alerts. when i press the "i" next to the alert message, no thing pops up. how do i actually view those alerts? do i have to insert an USB drive in the glovebox before activating Sentry Mode?

You need to have a USB drive with ample room for saving video. I use a 256GB drive. At the root level a folder needs to be created named "TeslaCam" Plug the drive into one of the USB ports inside the center console. Then sentry activities will be saved in a folder within TeslaCam named "SavedClips". Plug in to a computer USB port and watch all the activities.

I only wish there was an elegant method to view the numerous files saved on my Mac platform.

stlgrym3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You need to have a USB drive with ample room for saving video. I use a 256GB drive. At the root level a folder needs to be created named "TeslaCam" Plug the drive into one of the USB ports inside the center console. Then sentry activities will be saved in a folder within TeslaCam named "SavedClips". Plug in to a computer USB port and watch all the activities.

I only wish there was an elegant method to view the numerous files saved on my Mac platform.

thank you, and where exactly do i supposed to stick this USB drive to?

Toadmanor

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have tried this @ehendrix23 script and receive a message stating process complete. However I can not find the output files. What are they called and where are they? I looked in desktop but do not see them.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was driving today headed to the SC for some juice. I'd been in the car about 15 minutes when I got this notification on my phone !! The key is that that Sentry Mode wasn't on and the car was driving/in use. I was at 63 miles SOC, but was very surprised to get these messages, not just 1, but 3 of them.

F0E173D8-6C92-4709-9386-AC3C288BA215.png

Craig Bennett

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was driving today headed to the SC for some juice. I'd been in the car about 15 minutes when I got this notification on my phone !! The key is that that Sentry Mode wasn't on and the car was driving/in use. I was at 63 miles SOC, but was very surprised to get these messages, not just 1, but 3 of them.
You didn’t indicate firmware version so I’m going to guess you have x.16.x which includes the ability to set SM to enabled once you are in Park - minus any geo exclusions. You would have the “empty” eye at the top of your screen until you park and the it goes red.

Assuming all this I would consider this a low sev defect where even though SM is not active, the SOC is still being monitored to turn it off below 20% SOC.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You didn’t indicate firmware version so I’m going to guess you have x.16.x which includes the ability to set SM to enabled once you are in Park - minus any geo exclusions. You would have the “empty” eye at the top of your screen until you park and the it goes red.

Assuming all this I would consider this a low sev defect where even though SM is not active, the SOC is still being monitored to turn it off below 20% SOC.
SW 16.2 and Sentry is enabled in the menu and geofenced to exclude home only. I was driving at the time of the messages, and sentry was not active. The 21% was close on the mark, I'd just hit 63 miles of range remaining.

It is definitely a low level defect, but a defect to say the least. Maybe a little bigger defect because it still sent the message 3 times. The flag just isn't set right to check to see whether sentry was enabled or not.

Gordon87

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
SW 16.2 and Sentry is enabled in the menu and geofenced to exclude home only. I was driving at the time of the messages, and sentry was not active. The 21% was close on the mark, I'd just hit 63 miles of range remaining.

It is definitely a low level defect, but a defect to say the least. Maybe a little bigger defect because it still sent the message 3 times. The flag just isn't set right to check to see whether sentry was enabled or not.
I’m not sure it’s a defect so much as operating in a way different than what you expected. If it didn’t notify you that Sentry Mode was being disengaged at 20% SOC until you shifted into park, you might have missed it and not realize it was disengaged.

The question for the software is whether it should automatically reengage when you start charging and get over 20% SOC, if you otherwise have it set to always engage upon putting the car in park.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m not sure it’s a defect so much as operating in a way different than what you expected. If it didn’t notify you that Sentry Mode was being disengaged at 20% SOC until you shifted into park, you might have missed it and not realize it was disengaged.

The question for the software is whether it should automatically reengage when you start charging and get over 20% SOC, if you otherwise have it set to always engage upon putting the car in park.
I was in drive and driving at the time of the messages. I had been in the car about 15 minutes when the messages were sent to the phone.

Rick59

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Our Model 3 is kept parked in our driveway. Sentry Mode is always on at home. When it rains, the front headlights go on briefly then turn off. This cycle continues all through the night while it’s raining. Since our bedroom window is just above the driveway, it lights up the room brightly enough to wake me up almost each time. Has anyone experienced this issue? Suggested fix?