V9 Feature: Sentry Mode

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

webdriverguy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
More likely to increase the amount of stolen usb drives. Hopefully he's including a cloud upload with this feature.
Actually that’s a legit question. Not sure how this will work. I also hope tesla gives an option to disable this feauture at home.

Some hints from Teslarati post

Enhanced Autopilot (EAP), Tesla’s driver-assist software enabled in February 2017 with the version 8.0 software update, utilizes 8 surround cameras and 12 ultrasonic sensors and radar. Also part of its capabilities is a “Side Collision Warning” feature that, when considered together with the survey hardware, can easily be imagined as the core of an advanced mode for vehicle security. Instead of the built-in software functioning to warn a driver inside the vehicle of objects within certain proximity on the road, an “always on” type system could transmit warning signals to the owner’s app and/or have a built in response.

Although details provided on the coming “Sentry Mode” barely exist, Tesla’s commitment to the security of its vehicles has been clear. In the Version 9.0 software released last year, a built-in dash cam feature was included which utilized vehicles’ 360-degree array of Autopilot cameras to record and save footage to a driver-provided external USB drive. Although the feature could have several uses, hobby or otherwise, it was specifically added to aid with owner security issues such as capturing hit-and-run events. Another possible vision of “Sentry Mode” may merely expand on this functionality to incorporate more advanced recording options, including an “always on” option.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hopefully this will help us catch license plates of "hit and run" parking lot encounters.

I don't really expect this to prevent "smash and grab" incidents. I don't think thieves will bother grabbing USB drives. But they *may* learn to just put on a mask before breaking into Teslas.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In the Version 9.0 software released last year, a built-in dash cam feature was included which utilized vehicles’ 360-degree array of Autopilot cameras to record and save footage to a driver-provided external USB drive.
That’s a bit of a stretch. It just uses one forward facing camera.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That’s a bit of a stretch. It just uses one forward facing camera.
The error came from the general v9 features release notes and people confusing the 360 comment (referring to the onscreen ghost cars) and jumping to that meaning 360 camera view. Assuming that as a direct quote from teslarati, that was pretty lazy on their part to make that kind of error so long after v9 has been out. Do the people/person writing for them even have a car with v9?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is definitely exciting, but as my wife would say ... why doesn’t the car alert me when someone is in my blind spot (center mounted screen doesn’t count)

Taney71

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'll look at this as Tesla trying to respond to its customers' demands which largely has been about the break ins with the rear window. I hope the feature gets added and improves over time like all other things. I'll wait and see until and if it rolls out before judging it.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla trying to respond to its customers' demands which largely has been about the break ins with the rear window
I assume you have not been following Tesla/model 3 for more than a few months, correct? When the v9 features come out (and before), there was tons of complaints the onboard dashcam only used the one camera, only recorded the last hour, only worked when driving, etc, etc. the last being the least of the complaints.
The rear window breakins have been a thing on Teslas for years (in some cities) and is just now getting talked about with the larger number of cars on the roads (or dark streets/parking lots).