V9 Feature: No Confirmation Lane Change

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
NOA simply is not good in moderate to heavy traffic. I concur with their observations, as I have experienced them all while driving with NOA. I look forward to the day where it’s useful but as of now, it’s no use to me. The required pressure on the wheel, at least on my car, is way too great. It then takes too long to signal, and then to change lanes. It will often cut a car off well after it actually had an opportunity to change lanes. It often requests a lane change while there is actually a car in the blind spot. It will sometimes change to the left lane for no reason.

Even in light traffic, I don’t find it all that useful. It’s not good at smoothly moving around the cars. It usually waits too long.

Country
Country
At this point, I've given up on no confirm lane changes. I drive 100 miles (95% on NOA) a day in Socal and constantly battle the car wanting to needlessly change lanes. It will change lanes just to change right back (within 30 secs) when no other cars are around. Also, it'll want to make it's way across 5 lanes of traffic to the left even though it knows that it needs to take a transition on the right within 0.5 mile ahead.

Starting this past Monday, I switched back to manual confirm and find it less stressful. I'm a big believer in autopilot (over 90% of my total miles are with some form of AP), but this feature is not ready for primetime, at least not in LA traffic.

webdriverguy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
NOA simply is not good in moderate to heavy traffic. I concur with their observations, as I have experienced them all while driving with NOA. I look forward to the day where it’s useful but as of now, it’s no use to me. The required pressure on the wheel, at least on my car, is way too great. It then takes too long to signal, and then to change lanes. It will often cut a car off well after it actually had an opportunity to change lanes. It often requests a lane change while there is actually a car in the blind spot. It will sometimes change to the left lane for no reason.

Even in light traffic, I don’t find it all that useful. It’s not good at smoothly moving around the cars. It usually waits too long.
Great observations. I have observed phantom braking when on NOA couple of times when a car is merging from an on ramp. The car just freaks out by slowing downfrom say 60 miles to 50 miles and I find that dangerous. Also if the car sees stripes on the road when it approaches an exit, it also freaks out. But having said this I have never observed NOA cutting any car off ever or requesting a lane change when a car is in the blind spot. I have seen it request lane changes when it is not required though and I usually cancel it.

I cant recall if tesla recommends to use NOA only on freeways or also during city driving? In city driving TACC is very impressive. I have used it over 10-15 miles bumper to bumper traffic and I feel very safe just using TACC because it operates exactly like a human driver.

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
At this point, I've given up on no confirm lane changes. I drive 100 miles (95% on NOA) a day in Socal and constantly battle the car wanting to needlessly change lanes. It will change lanes just to change right back (within 30 secs) when no other cars are around. Also, it'll want to make it's way across 5 lanes of traffic to the left even though it knows that it needs to take a transition on the right within 0.5 mile ahead.

Starting this past Monday, I switched back to manual confirm and find it less stressful. I'm a big believer in autopilot (over 90% of my total miles are with some form of AP), but this feature is not ready for primetime, at least not in LA traffic.
I have AP, not EAP or FSD, so I don't have NOA (a lot of acronyms!). But I'm curious--does the aggressiveness setting (Mad Max, etc.) affect the behavior you describe?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have AP, not EAP or FSD, so I don't have NOA (a lot of acronyms!). But I'm curious--does the aggressiveness setting (Mad Max, etc.) affect the behavior you describe?
the aggressiveness settings are exactly for this.

I generally don't use NoA because my normal commute is too congested to have it comfortably make lane changes, but when I do, it is set to the middle setting, and it does not over do the lane changes, but is actually pretty close to what I would naturally do. It generally sticks to the center lane, uses the left to pass when the center slows (and the left is moving/clear) and only gets into the right when getting ready to exit.

Country
Country
Nope, those settings do not affect the behavior. I've tried adjusting them all and even turned off, the lane change behavior stayed the same. This doesn't seem to be a speed based lane change issue. I could be in the fastest moving lane and the car will want to move over to a slower lane, just to move right back a few seconds later. It might be a bug in the algorithm that has to take into account the HOV lane, but it also affects other lanes, too.

Mr. Spacely

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I use following distance of 1 car length and Mad Max Mode. That setting combination works best because the decisions are decisive and faster. In heavy traffic I often have to take over...

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It might be a bug in the algorithm that has to take into account the HOV lane, but it also affects other lanes, too.
Do you have it set to use HOV lanes? If so maybe it's trying to get over to the HOV lane or something related to that. I don't have the HOV option enabled and I stopped seeing needless lane changes once I set the speed based option to Min. Changing the speed based option made a big difference to me. But I still don't care much for the no-confirmation lane change feature in its current state because it isn't good at finding gaps in traffic.

Country
Country
Do you have it set to use HOV lanes? If so maybe it's trying to get over to the HOV lane or something related to that. I don't have the HOV option enabled and I stopped seeing needless lane changes once I set the speed based option to Min. Changing the speed based option made a big difference to me. But I still don't care much for the no-confirmation lane change feature in its current state because it isn't good at finding gaps in traffic.
I do have it set to use HOV. It will want to leave the HOV lane just to come right back in. It doesn't happen everywhere, but it's often enough to be annoying.

evannole

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I use following distance of 1 car length and Mad Max Mode. That setting combination works best because the decisions are decisive and faster. In heavy traffic I often have to take over...
I have given up on NOA for now. Too many bad or unnecessary lane change suggestions.

Nice profile pic at the Don CeSar!

webdriverguy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have given up on NOA for now. Too many bad or unnecessary lane change suggestions.

Nice profile pic at the Don CeSar!
I might try the mad max with one car following length. The unnecessary lane changes bug me in average mode. But I have read posts about it has got better in 16.2 so going to try it out.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The car's map data determines the roads where Navigate on Autopilot can be active, and at the moment (to the best of my knowledge), those roads include some (but not all) major, divided highways.
Just a quick PSA... If you find NoA enabled on a non-divided highway (as just happened to me at the easternmost end of NH-101), do yourself a favor and disable it, and possibly file a bug report.

On undivided highways, NoA doesn't always seem to distinguish between oncoming lanes and the lanes that are traveling in your direction, and may attempt to change into the oncoming lane if the conditions are right. This behavior is obviously not desirable. :)

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone else finding NOA is now almost DOA? I've tried using it with the newest software and it goes through periods where it doesn't do ANYTHING. Just allows me to sit behind a vehicle, 10, sometimes 15 MPH below my target speed. Or I will be passing traffic in the left lane, get clear, and it will just sit there for 1, 2, 3 miles or more.

I have it set on Mad Max.

Then other times, it will all of a sudden start working normally. But it's default is to be MIA.

Mr. Spacely

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone else finding NOA is now almost DOA? I've tried using it with the newest software and it goes through periods where it doesn't do ANYTHING. Just allows me to sit behind a vehicle, 10, sometimes 15 MPH below my target speed. Or I will be passing traffic in the left lane, get clear, and it will just sit there for 1, 2, 3 miles or more.

Then other times, it will all of a sudden start working normally. But it's default is to be MIA.
Nope. Mine still works great...

Rye3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I experience this as well. It’s almost like the first time I intervene on a drive it just stops working. Even in mad max mode it does this.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Could be a map error. Personally I think map errors are a major problem with Tesla moving forward on FSD.
And tolls. Mine always wants me to take the cash lanes on the BW8 toll road around Houston. There is no option for knowing whether you have cash or a pass. I'm assuming that there will be in the future.