V3 Supercharger is Now Live

EValuatED

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ve noticed three of our local Northern Virginia area V2 Superchargers in the I-95 corridor have been upgraded to 150kW: Fredricksburg, Woodbridge, and Springfield. Probably others in the region have been also. Came in with a low SoC and hit 500mph.

C499EB6C-9443-4CE9-98F1-1261F35DC213.jpeg

FF35

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ve noticed three of our local Northern Virginia area V2 Superchargers in the I-95 corridor have been upgraded to 150kW: Fredricksburg, Woodbridge, and Springfield. Probably others in the region have been also. Came in with a low SoC and hit 500mph.

View attachment 25597
Is it an upgrade to the supercharger or is it 12.X and higher? Once I got 12.1.2, the superchargers I've been to were all 150kW

EValuatED

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is it an upgrade to the supercharger or is it 12.X and higher? Once I got 12.1.2, the superchargers I've been to were all 150kW
Good point. Some in supercharge.info still say 120kW, some say 150kW. But I believe you’re correct that 12.x is required for 150kW V2 charging for Model 3s and other Teslas that support it!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
you can look at individual stations from the car's nav screen. I clicked thru a bunch (maybe 10) and found all at 150kW with the exception of one that was still showing 120kW and one urban SC that remains at 72kW.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

View attachment 25597
Odd it still maxes out at 500 mph

EValuatED

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Odd it still maxes out at 500 mph
Yeah, that can't be right. 150kW should be closer to 600mph.
I guess they forgot to increase a capped value on the Model 3's display?
Agree... quick swag looks like I should have seen 580mph or better at 142kW (considering I saw 487mph at 119kW several months ago).

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I thought this video was really interesting.

Identical RWD LR cars. One with the 150kw software, one without. Surprising results, can someone explain? Maybe the 150 kw charge rate puts too much heat into the pack?

Please note...I am NOT bashing / FUD-ing. I am trying to learn. This is very interesting to me.

Scubastevo80

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Identical RWD LR cars. One with the 150kw software, one without. Surprising results, can someone explain? Maybe the 150 kw charge rate puts too much heat into the pack?

Please note...I am NOT bashing / FUD-ing. I am trying to learn. This is very interesting to me.

I watched that as well and i think the battery was sufficiently warm to accept a faster charge. If this was winter time, it may be a whole different ball game. I only expected a few minutes savings with this upgrade, which is what was shown between the 120kw vs 150kw charging... I didn’t expect anything when comparing the on-route warmup vs no “warm up”. The batteries warm up from waste heat in the motors so they’d be “warming up” en route either way...

Wooloomooloo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

That is interesting, but I would not put too much stock in it. Heat could possibly be a factor, but I doubt it because over that period of time,. the after slowing down to the same level, the heat would equalize very quickly.

I'd like to see the rated miles the cars thought they had at the end there, I suspect they're different. The batteries could be in different condition or could have had a different number of fast charges before hand.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I think if they did the same test 10 times over, it would be interesting to see. A single instance though could be any number of reasons. I've been to Superchargers where getting a very low charge rate (without sharing) and move to another stall that was multiple times faster.
but given that the 150kW was certainly faster until they began to taper off, it for sure is faster for 90% of the charging people do at Superchargers. Once it starts to taper, that is all dependent on the car's system... so would also be interesting for these same two guys to do this again after the other upgrades to the 150kW FW and see if the higher % charging rate is offset the same as they see here.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Possibly... though it's hard to tell whether the 150 kW-capable car slowed down so dramatically due to its own hardware/firmware, or due to the connected stall. I'd be curious to see what would have happened if they had repeated this experiment with the stalls swapped, or even if they had swapped in the middle after the 150 kW car had dropped to the 80s.

It would also be awesome if we could perform this experiment with a couple of cars with CAN-logging capabilites so that we could compare battery pack temperatures and other internal measurements that aren't surfaced in the UI... But that's just a geek's pipe dream. :)

iPlug

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone try his/her SR+ on 150 kW-capable stations?

Prior charging max power limit seemed to be ~100 kW at 120 kW-capable stations.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Very interesting video. I did something similar with my Model X without the spiffy video and only capturing data every 5 min. Went from about the same charge (20% or 30% - not sure, don’t have my data with me) to 90% at about the same outside temp (low 50’s F) before the SC peak rate increase and after. Very similar results as shown for the LR RWD in the video- only a few minutes different in the overall timing. Still, it was fun to see a higher peak kW, even if just briefly.

Tesla always emphasizes SC speed when the battery pack charge is in the lower half. So claims that it will make things faster are true if you are riding the lower half of the pack, which is what I tend to do on my long trips.

RichEV

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
What I take away from this useful video is that with the new fw I'm going to save about 3 minutes charging up to 45% (a 17.5% time savings).

After that the time savings decreases. 50% 2.5 min, 65% 2 min, 75% 1.5 min

Small savings but thanks Tesla for allowing me to get back on the road a little sooner.

JoeP

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
is there some way one can tell a V3 supercharger from any other kind? Do they do a hardware upgrade to make it V3 (I assume on the electrical service side yes, but its not clear that would be visible unless you saw them doing it)

dburkland

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
is there some way one can tell a V3 supercharger from any other kind? Do they do a hardware upgrade to make it V3 (I assume on the electrical service side yes, but its not clear that would be visible unless you saw them doing it)
The cables are noticeably thinner on the V3 since they are liquid cooled.

JoeP

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was supercharging today at a charger that im pretty sure has NOT been upgraded. (Manteca).
I was getting 115KW/450mph tops.

Whats more it was kinda flakey. it would get up pretty high and then drop almost all they way to zero, then gradually go back up. This happened several times
(i was at a pretty low SOC when i pulled into that charger, i was on the yellow light at about 58 miles remaining, so 18% or so?) I'm normally never that low when charging so i was interested in how it was going.

Im running Early Access firmware though so a different version than ive seen mentioned here. (I'm pretty sure i havent gotten V3 yet)