V3 Supercharger is Now Live

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
What exactly do you think V3 supercharging is? Is it just increased speed or is it speed and robotic arm?

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I think it benefits them to upgrade all superchargers that have a lot of traffic and lines to the new version first and then back fill the ones without lines later. This way they can get the cars in/out of those superchargers faster.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Sorry, are you saying that Supercharging 3 is going to be 200 max? Or that the car is capable of 200 max?
From what I have read it is something like 250kW max but they are going to limit it to 200kW to start and possibly increase it later. The other cool tidbit I read was that the V3 isn't limited when another car is on the 'shared' space. So all chargers will be independent and will not be affected if someone else shows up next to you (or in the paired spot).

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/03/0...ing-network-to-v3-for-next-generation-speeds/

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
From what I have read it is something like 250kW max but they are going to limit it to 200kW to start and possibly increase it later. The other cool tidbit I read was that the V3 isn't limited when another car is on the 'shared' space. So all chargers will be independent and will not be affected if someone else shows up next to you (or in the paired spot).

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/03/0...ing-network-to-v3-for-next-generation-speeds/
Thanks. Hadn't seen the "insider info" part below. Would be nice to see up to 200kw speeds in the Model 3! I've only supercharged twice, for fun, but the most I've seen so far has been 60 on a colder battery at about 60% SOC.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
My guess would be any Tesla with 2170 battery chemistry (=all Model 3's, TMK), but I know almost nothing.
I have heard that too and it is a good guess. My problem would be if newer S and X didn't support it so they would take the same amount of time and clog the fast chargers at a slow rate. Since most of them have free supercharging they tend to be more active at superchargers than 3's currently. I know that will change.

Wooloomooloo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It’s 200kw max charging speed
Apparently, yes. But here's the thing, how often and how for long do you even get the 120Kw speed the current generation is capable of? I think this new technology is great, but if we're really talking about charging speed during optimum conditions, with a battery that is below 40% charge, the 200Kw speed will have a marginal impact for most use-cases (i.e. low charge, warm weather, warm battery, no other car charging next to you).

SR22pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Apparently, yes. But here's the thing, how often and how for long do you even get the 120Kw speed the current generation is capable of? I think this new technology is great, but if we're really talking about charging speed during optimum conditions, with a battery that is below 40% charge, the 200Kw speed will have a marginal impact for most use-cases (i.e. low charge, warm weather, warm battery, no other car charging next to you).
I strongly disagree. Use A Better Route Planner. You will find it is better to start your trip with a full charge, get to the Supercharger with about 10% and then charge for 15 to 25 minutes. This will speed up you getting to 50 to 70% by a lot. The higher voltage will have more current going into the battery at all charge percentages.

Remember, as reported earlier, it is supposedly independent of the car next to you. That alone is a nice change. On a long trip your battery is almost certainly warm. Finally, you should be at a low state of charge to minimize recharge time and only charge to what is needed to get to the next charger. Again, playing with A Better Route Planner is instructive.

webdriverguy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think currently its a flat line from 20-40% before the charge tapers off. If they can rase it to 60-70% we are looking at ~20 mins for 0-80% charge w/o destroying the cells which would be nice

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
This would also piss off the S/X owners who paid more for their cars.
You're probably right but the tech in their cars is pretty old at this point as far as the battery tech. I know that Tesla can only do so much but the Model S and then X are due for a redesign badly at this point. Most car companies go 7 or 8 years between major redesigns and if you add 8 to 2012 that means 2020.