Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

V10 Feature: Smart Summon

24K views 172 replies 52 participants last post by  bwilson4web 
#1 ·
Well your wait is finally over, v10 with Smart Summon is finally rolling out to the public in 2019.32.10!!

Please be careful when using it, and make sure it is in a quiet lot, with your car within sight at all times, and get ready to run and jump in if it gets stuck in an embarrassing place.

Also, check your Standby mode settings, which save a minute or two of "warming up" if the car is sleeping, but will otherwise prevent your battery from sleeping and burn extra power...like the entire weekend I was camping off-grid and was wondering why my car would not shut down. I made a quick video to show everyone:

#2 ·
In fact, I'd recommend you stay IN the car while practicing your first summon trips using the crosshair option (start in your driveway, then try bigger parking lots), and learn what the car can/can't do.

Be aware the vehicle may stop quickly when releasing the app button, so put a seatbelt on and/or be aware of unsecured cargo.

But it's a lot it fun, and be prepared for many jaw drops :)

PS: remember, just like with AutoPilot, you're responsible no matter what the car decides to do.

#3 ·
It does work well now, much better navigating parking islands, at least after 1 or 2 tries. I think best to do this away from other people and busy lots for a while. While some people are interested and amazed. Most are busy and don't want to be interfered with, or are confused by the whole thing, or annoyed as if you're showing off. Also, if your driveway is short, leading immediately to a road, it may not work because it won't work on surface streets. Enjoy, it's cool and a good baby step towards FSD.

#4 ·
I should also warn, the position is only as accurate as the GPS on your phone, and is often off by ~20+ feet. Switch to satellite view, and make sure the position of your dot is correct before you start, also check the plotted path. You can always drop a pin instead.

#6 ·
it says in the press release the Smart Summon can only be used on FSD equipped Tesla. does this mean if i just have EAP but not FSD then i'll be missing out on this Smart Summon feature? is there an Enhanced Summon down the road which basically a water down version of Smart Summon for EAP only Tesla?

#7 ·
Not quite. Here is the actual text.

With Smart Summon, customers who have purchased Full Self-Driving Capability or Enhanced Autopilot can enable their car to navigate a parking lot and come to them or their destination of choice, as long as their car is within their line of sight.
You get Smart Summon with EAP.

Reactions: stlgrym3
#10 ·
Enhanced Summon provides a nice demo under controlled conditions but it is definitely not ready for prime time yet.

I tried it today and its fun to watch people who look inside and don't see anyone until the car comes to me and stops. The look on some faces is priceless, is anyone old enough to remember Allen Funt's candid camera? I am thinking that it would be fun to put my dog behind the wheel, and watch reactions as she drives by barking out the open drivers side window.

On the serious side, it really is NOT ready for prime time it doesn't always stay on the right side freaking out drivers who are headed in the opposite direction (possible slow speed head on crash if the driver headed toward the car isn't paying attention). It is very jerky, starting and abruptly stopping, cranking the wheel full left coming to a hard stop before cranking full right (when a quarter turn of the wheel is all that is necessary).

I tried "Come to Me" and "Go To Target". Come to me is more predictable but both work, I sat behind the wheel and tried "Go To Target" and you can feel just how jerky it is, it reminds me of teaching a 15 year old how to drive a manual transmission for the first time, yikes.

Like all features Tesla first introduces, this is just the beginning and I am confident that it will get better with time in future releases.

#11 ·
This is awesome! Navigate one row and made 4 turns and traveled 150ft to come to my office front door. It stopped once along way when someone walked past. Looks like movement within 15-20ft radius makes it pause to evaluate/predict where obstacle is going.

Unfortunately I am worried about all the people who got this and don’t understand what this takes to accomplish. If you have that understanding, some of the limitations are not deal breakers and you accept it.

Everyone! remember, the state of it right now is the worse it will ever be.

#12 ·
I'm very glad to have this finally. It gives us a glimpse into the future.

I do hope that reckless folks don't cause troubles with this very early capability. I don't want to start seeing a lot of videos of Teslas crashing into shopping carts, or worse.

Reactions: Crobber and Kizzy
#13 ·
In retrospect, I think I had trouble last night with summon connecting until I turned off wi-fi on my phone. I was miles from the nearest remembered wi-fi connection so no reason to have it on. Strange that it would break summon tho. Today, while in front of our home, I couldn't connect to vent the windows via the app, until I turned wi-fi off on my phone. I'm 10 ft from my car and can't connect to it until I turn off wi-fi... strange bug.

Reactions: Smedsters
#17 ·
Thus far I have been unable to get smart summon to work. Rarely do I get the come to me message and when I do it doesn’t work. Am I doing something wrong in the setup parameters? Any sugestions welcomed.

Reactions: Crobber
#19 ·
Thus far I have been unable to get smart summon to work. Rarely do I get the come to me message and when I do it doesn't work. Am I doing something wrong in the setup parameters? Any sugestions welcomed.
I had trouble until I turned the wi-fi off in my phone.

Reactions: HCD3
#18 ·
Has anyone mentioned or seen whether smart summon works any more smoothly on cars with HW3?

With my 2018 vintage 3 with the original computer the car drives smoothly when it knows the plan but when it has to stop and figure out what to do next is takes quite a while.

#107 ·
Has anyone mentioned or seen whether smart summon works any more smoothly on cars with HW3?
I assume there are folks on this thread with HW3?

#20 ·
Smart summon is great! I have had 90% success rate, people around are impressed. I have had it two days now and used it in at least a dozen locations(Home Depot, grocery, Costco, etc.).

There are tricks and if you don’t follow, it will do a terrible job.

#1. don’t use Come To Me, a phones gps is not stable enough, at least my iphoneX isn’t.

#2 pick a location past where you plan to get in. It slows a lot before reaching the spot, it is better to just make it stop.

#3. a big one! Switch to satellite view on map, big a place and give the car/app time to show a predicted path. If predicted path is not a good one, you have to think about it, move the spot slightly and let it recalculate.

#4 if you see something going towards it, ie people or a car make it stop. When they clear start it again

It is amazing!!! Be smart with it and it will work. and Remember it is going to continue to get better

#22 ·
Smart summon is great! I have had 90% success rate, people around are impressed. I have had it two days now and used it in at least a dozen locations(Home Depot, grocery, Costco, etc.).

There are tricks and if you don't follow, it will do a terrible job.

#1. don't use Come To Me, a phones gps is not stable enough, at least my iphoneX isn't.
I'm really confused by number 1. You're saying just don't use it, yet it only fails 10% of the time for you? If your iPhone X isn't stable enough what are you using?

I've got a X - used it twice, demo both times, it worked just as I expected and just left people in amazement.

#27 ·
these videos are unfortunate. The first two people in the videos should have summon taken away in my opinion. The guy who saw a car coming and decided to keep his finger on his phone, the Walmart guy that let the truck sit there without going over to his car. Come on people!!! Be smarter than this.

The last video of the crash in the distance will happen regardless if you are in car or not. It is the fault of the person backing up as the Tesla was already there. A Honk button right next to the Go to Location button would be nice. But I think the Tesla should be updated to honk automatically in those cases.

#28 ·
I REALLY hope they don't release this in v10, if v10 is coming in August-September. It will be a PR nightmare.

Until it can drive on the right side of the road, I REALLY don't think it should. Think of the backlash that's going to happen when people start testing it and it creates traffic jams in the parking lot. The user will have to run over to the car and jump in to resolve it. Those people that get inconvenienced will not have a good experience with Tesla.

"I got things to do and this Tesla owner just blocked me in with their car. Great! The nerve of some people. Who do they think they are?!"
I stand by this comment made in August. Although I didn't predict the number of accidents that would have happened. This is worse than I thought!

#40 ·
Probably no help for your work location tho.

FWIW, I was in a deserted parking lot about 2 miles from home and 6 miles from work and not connected to any wi-fi when Smart Summon failed for me until I turned my wi-fi off.

#41 ·
I used smart summon a few times today in the daytime. At a parking lot that isn’t too busy. It worked really well. I used the target a few times and the come to me. During come to me a truck came and the car stopped easily. It also paused at an intersection of the lot.

I tried at night in the same location, and it seemed way worse. It looked confused and had to back out then go forward and back again. Then it drove very wobbly. It was much smother and more confident in the daytime.

I think it’s overall pretty impressive. It obviously still needs work. It will be interesting to see where it’s at a year from now.

#44 ·
I tried Smart Summon for the first time on Saturday night. My car was in a parking lot pretty far down the parking aisle from the restuarant my wife and I were at. When we left, there were cars scattered in the lot but no one parked on either side on me. I figured this is as good a time to try as any:

The car backed out of the parking space; it stayed on the right side of the aisle as it was coming down the aisle (at a decent speed); it turned the right blinker on as it approched the end of the aisle; after stopping at the end of the aisle, it turned right onto the main aisle; it stayed on the right side of the main aisle until it reached our location.

It was awesome! My wife gave me the WTF look as she's never seen this before!!

#46 ·
It would be useful to be able to turn on standby from a button in the app.

Reactions: Kizzy
#51 ·
I don't have my Smart Summon on standby. There was no lag in time when I went to use it last weekend... maybe because Sentry Mode was on (the car wasn't asleep)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.