V10 Feature: Smart Summon

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Derik

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone else having issues where the car wants to go the wrong way on initialization then does this multipoint turn to come the correct direction?

I've have this happen in two different spots in my work parking lot. Say the car needs to go forward and make a right turn to come toward me, but the car shows in the app with the arrow pointing the wrong direction (a full 180 degree flip). The car starts out going forward and puts it's left turn signal on. It starts going away from me and then stops. The arrow on the app now shows the correct orientation and then the car starts backing up (sometimes back into it's orignal spot and sometimes into other empty spots around it) and then does a multipoint turn and comes toward me like I expected. This has happened when the car backs out of the spot too (don't normally park like that.. but sometimes it's just easier).

Just trying to see if it is just my car or maybe other people have seen it before I try to schedule a service appointment for something that doesn't effect any other part of my driving.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone else having issues where the car wants to go the wrong way on initialization then does this multipoint turn to come the correct direction?
Sometimes my car thinks it's pointing in the opposite direction after first waking up, and I usually have to drive a few feet before it fixes itself. I wonder if this is related.

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, I see the same thing. For me it’s much more common on 2019.40.50.x than it was several releases back. It actually happens most of the time for me. I park head in, and when Smart Summon backs out it often turns the wrong way, then stops. At that point it might try a multipoint turn, or start driving like it’s going to go over the curb (I abort), or just give up. I don’t use Smart Summon much, just in my work parking lot to view its progress. Definitely a regression for my single test case.

Derik

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sometimes my car thinks it's pointing in the opposite direction after first waking up, and I usually have to drive a few feet before it fixes itself. I wonder if this is related.

very possible. It's like it's initializing the heading incorrectly. Once it gets some more data it resets the heading. I'm kind of thinking it's just a software thing instead of a hardware thing. Which is why I'm bringing it up.
It would be kind of emarrasing to show off the summon party trick and have the car go away from you.
"Hey... where is your car going?"
"I have no idea!!!"

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tried Smart Summon again tonight for my after work entertainment. It backed out correctly, but then was creeping forward slower than I've ever seen, maybe 1 ft/s. Noticed the app said "speed is reduced until visibility improves". I aborted and walked up to the car and noticed that the windshield was covered in raindrops from earlier rain. After I got in, the auto wipers then finally gave a single swipe to clear the windshield. Maybe it could have tried that during Summon to improve the visibility???