V10 Feature: Smart Summon

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.
Country
Country
I’ve checked here (Searched) and googled it but can’t find a good discussion about this error message that I keep getting when I try to use Smart Summon.
”an issue was encoutered when reading camera data"

Ive checked the SSD drive, checked all the cameras (physically), turned off all functions that use the cameras, done soft reboots, hard reboots, power offs and everything. The only thing that sometimes works is when the car goes Into a deep sleep (overnight) but then as soon as I drive it and stop, I’ll get the message again.

I even went into the Oakville SC and not 1 technician has heard or seen this issue come up. Just wondering if anyone here has had this and if so, did you find a solution to fix it.

funny thing is the regular summon feature works fine (probably because it doesn't use the cameras).

TIA
0b9541b9-fc3a-4f77-a339-4e07d04badd4-jpeg.30084

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I saw it one time and it never returned. I was told by a Tesla Ranger that sometimes if the car is parked in the sun one or more of the cameras can be temporarily blinded. That might have been your issue. Tesla error messages could be a little more helpful.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ve had similar camera related error messages when the USB stick for TeslaCam starts getting corrupted. Might be time to pull the SSD and reformat it.

stlgrym3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The come to me button—which is a shortcut to the come to me function deeper in the summon menu—only appears when the car is ready and warmed up for summon. Yes, the standby mode keeps the car ready for summon at the cost of constant battery power draw, but you can also enter the summon menu to trigger the getting ready, which it will show a the bottom of the screen. Once it is ready you could back out and the come to me button should be there.
I turned the summon standby mode off due to battery drainage. But I don’t see that “getting ready” button in the Summon menu that you referred to. Following are the screenshots.

Attachments

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Smart summon fail yesterday.

Raining when I left work so tried to get the car to come across the parking lot to me. Backed out of the space, and initially turned too early, almost scraped the car in front. I saw it stop, back out straight, then continue backing on the curve.

meandered down the aisle and tried to go around the island at the end of the row, but almost plowed into the end of it. Made a correction to the right, but then when it turned around the end of the island, it almost hit the curb / shrubs on the outside as it was at a weird angle and couldn't make the turn. I stopped summoning and ran across the lot to go get it and confirmed that it would have needed to back up and turn harder as it was too close to the shrubs to have completed the turn. So in the end got wet and had anxiety. Should have just popped the umbrella and walked over to the car port.

Pic of route and where the target was.

annotation-2019-11-08-075836-jpg.30434

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Smart summon fail yesterday.

Raining when I left work so tried to get the car to come across the parking lot to me. Backed out of the space, and initially turned too early, almost scraped the car in front. I saw it stop, back out straight, then continue backing on the curve.

meandered down the aisle and tried to go around the island at the end of the row, but almost plowed into the end of it. Made a correction to the right, but then when it turned around the end of the island, it almost hit the curb / shrubs on the outside as it was at a weird angle and couldn't make the turn. I stopped summoning and ran across the lot to go get it and confirmed that it would have needed to back up and turn harder as it was too close to the shrubs to have completed the turn. So in the end got wet and had anxiety. Should have just popped the umbrella and walked over to the car port.

Pic of route and where the target was.

View attachment 30434
I guess you can always look at this two ways. I tend to agree it makes you nervous and I've hestiated using it in a lot I can't watch every move. However you note in each of the close calls it made corrections. So it may not be good at plotting the initial path, but if it didn't hit the car and it didn't hit the curb and it made corrections each time, I consider that a win and is as good as it's going to get right now.

For comparison - check your lot on OpenSourceMaps.com and see if it has any mapping laid out. Check this thread - https://teslaownersonline.com/threa...ge-routes-fix-them-yourself.14623/post-262012

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I guess you can always look at this two ways. I tend to agree it makes you nervous and I've hestiated using it in a lot I can't watch every move. However you note in each of the close calls it made corrections. So it may not be good at plotting the initial path, but if it didn't hit the car and it didn't hit the curb and it made corrections each time, I consider that a win and is as good as it's going to get right now.

For comparison - check your lot on OpenSourceMaps.com and see if it has any mapping laid out. Check this thread - https://teslaownersonline.com/threa...ge-routes-fix-them-yourself.14623/post-262012
Correction, in two of the three close calls, it made corrections. In the third, it wasn't. It missed the car and a curb but was about to head into a curb / bush. Two out of three doesn't sound bad until it ends with you in the body shop. There was no way it could have made that turn, and it wasn't showing any signs of stopping. I'd say it was maybe 2-3' off the curb when I released the button.

Can I be certain it would have hit the bushes and curb? Maybe it would have screeched to a halt at the last second. But I wasn't going to find out.

PaulT

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Why is Summon so slow below freezing? I understand it is probably being cautious for ice, but there are many days in Denver Colorado that are cold, but completely dry...

Septapr

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Unlikely that’s the issue. There is an acknowledged firmware bug affecting the rear camera. Mine involves the backup camera. My cameras been replaced and the car has been seen by TESLA twice for this issue that also involves the same smartsummon error message. Below is the message sent to me by TESLA. So I’m in hurry up and wait mode right now

Good Morning Mr.W.. This is Tesla virtual service, we are currently over viewing your concern in regards to the back up camera going blank. Currently there are 0 hardware faults to replace the back up camera, this is currently a firmware bug. If the back up camera is blank we recommend completing a scroll wheel reset to re initialize the camera. We also notice you have sentry mode and standby by mode engaged at all times, to help decrease the number of times the reverse camera goes blank we recommend turning these two settings off periodically every other day for a few hours, therefore the vehicle can go into a deep sleep and re set all control units in the vehicle. This concern will be corrected on a future firmware fix, at this time we recommend completing these walk around steps.We notice your vehicle has an outstanding bulletin to replace the charge port pins which we would like the mobile service team complete on the ...

hdgmedic

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have been a user of smart summon for quite a while now. I have noticed, lately, the travel speed is much slower than it has been (1mph vs 3+mph). It appears to be going the speed from when it originally released. At first, I thought it was an aberrant behavior during a particular use. Now, I find it to be all of the time: full lots, empty lots, pedestrian traffic, no pedestrian traffic. Is it just me or is anyone else seeing this? Is it a result of the most recent software update (2019.40.2.1)?

WonkoTheSane

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Used SS yesterday at work and it was a lot more aggressive and seemed faster. Not sure if this is a feature of 40.50.1