V10 Feature: Smart Summon

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

bwilson4web

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I sent a note to support asking if the 20 ft distance limitation is a software limitation of basic autopilot or checking the logs to see if something is wrong with my car. In the world of features, this is not high on my priorities.

Bob Wilson

bwilson4web

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I tried my wife’s Samsung it was worse. Basic Bluetooth worked but summon was inert. Curiously when car and Samsung were on same WiFi, the Samsung showed the battery level in green. On Bluetooth, it was grayed out.

Bob Wilson

Last edited:

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I paid $3k for basic AutoPilot. I wonder if it is limited to the 20' segments?
I'm surprised Smart Summon works at all for you if you didn't buy EAP or FSD. I suspect that's a bug that it even shows up as an option, but maybe they are allowing it in short segments.

EDIT: Do you have other EAP features like regular Summon, NOA, auto park, and auto lane change?

Last edited:

bwilson4web

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm surprised Smart Summon works at all for you if you didn't buy EAP or FSD. I suspect that's a bug that it even shows up as an option, but maybe they are allowing it in short segments.

EDIT: Do you have other EAP features like regular Summon, NOA, auto park, and auto lane change?
Neither EAP nor FSD. Regular summon works; NOA fully functional; two auto park incidents to my accidental surprise, and; auto lane change all the time.

I did pay $3k for basic autopilot and so far it has met my expectations.

It would help if Tesla published a matrix of features and none, basic, EAP, and FSD. Have you seen one?

Bob Wilson

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Neither EAP nor FSD. Regular summon works; NOA fully functional; two auto park incidents to my accidental surprise, and; auto lane change all the time.

I did pay $3k for basic autopilot and so far it has met my expectations.

It would help if Tesla published a matrix of features and none, basic, EAP, and FSD. Have you seen one?

Bob Wilson
Congrats, that's the full EAP feature set you have there. Basic AP is just autosteer and TACC. I don't think I've seen a feature matrix from Tesla, but a number of other sources have created them. Here's one example:
https://evannex.com/blogs/news/infographic-teslas-update-to-its-autopilot-feature-availability

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Mine seems to be able to travel anywhere from 1 to as much as ~8 feet AFTER releasing the 'Go to Target' button. That was enough to turn off my rural private paved road and hit a log in the ditch resulting in it's first ding (1/4" sq paint chip). 2 days ago it managed the same course just fine.
joule_summon_fail-jpg.29734

Last edited:

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine seems to be able to travel anywhere from 1 to as much as ~8 feet AFTER releasing the 'Go to Target' button. That was enough to turn off my rural private paved road and hit a log in the ditch resulting in it's first ding (1/4" sq paint chip). 2 days ago it managed the same course just fine. View attachment 29734 View attachment 29734
Wow, I've seen nothing but immediate response to letting go to the button, but it looks like your area might not have super strong cellular service? I wonder if it is dependent on data latency.

Mr. Spacely

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One of our local Italian places doesn't deliver and of course that's the one my wife ordered from last night. It was sprinkling a bit when I went in, but really pouring when I was ready to go. The guy at the bar, the table near the door, and the hostess were watching me as I hit summon from just inside the restaurant and the car pulled around in heavy rain. I did get a bit wet opening the door and getting in, but it was a perfect example of the value of the feature. And I bet those 7 people watching will consider a Tesla next time they need a new car!

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine seems to be able to travel anywhere from 1 to as much as ~8 feet AFTER releasing the 'Go to Target' button. That was enough to turn off my rural private paved road and hit a log in the ditch resulting in it's first ding (1/4" sq paint chip). 2 days ago it managed the same course just fine. View attachment 29734 View attachment 29734
This is the kind of minor accident that I think should absolutely not be happening, even with a new beta feature. We know the ultrasonics can detect objects like that, because we're all familiar with the bings and bongs. We've now seen a couple of incidents where Smart Summon seems to think it knows better than the ultrasonics, presumably because otherwise they were having problems with false alarms that caused the car to stop when it should go.

But for Smart Summon, the car thinking it's safe to go when it's not is far more serious than the car thinking it's not safe to go when it is. I'd much rather the cars get "stuck" more often, necessitating the owner to run over to the car and take over, if it meant they run in to things less.

Enginerd

Country
Country
Mine seems to be able to travel anywhere from 1 to as much as ~8 feet AFTER releasing the 'Go to Target' button. That was enough to turn off my rural private paved road and hit a log in the ditch resulting in it's first ding (1/4" sq paint chip). 2 days ago it managed the same course just fine.
I had a similar experience while testing in the parking lot at work. Cell coverage in the area isn't guaranteed... I get a signal probably 75% of the time. While summoning to a pin location, it arrived and had nearly come to a stop. I took my finger off the button, and then the car actually accelerated and moved forward another 4-6 ft. It was very disconcerting, because for about 2 seconds, I felt literally out of control. My car was doing something I didn't want, and I had no further recourse to stop it. I don't know if the car and my phone both maintained continuous network connection during the event. But I would hope that as soon either signal is lost, any summon activity would immediately cease. As a failsafe, I'm also thinking that opening the door would probably cause it to stop, but I don't know if anyone has specifically tested this. Maybe I should.

That said, there were hints that my event could have been "something completely different". My friend was in the passenger seat during the test, and he said that the car appeared to enter an auto-park mode. Sounds like the main screen showed the P symbol in an available spot and, and may have started navigating toward it. When the car did stop, it posted something like "auto-park cancelled". We know that eventually you should be able to drive to a building entrance, then get out and tell the car to go park itself. I'm wondering if this is one of those shadow features that just needs to be un-blocked for public use when development is complete, but is actually running in the background at some level.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had a similar experience while testing in the parking lot at work. Cell coverage in the area isn't guaranteed... I get a signal probably 75% of the time. While summoning to a pin location, it arrived and had nearly come to a stop. I took my finger off the button, and then the car actually accelerated and moved forward another 4-6 ft. It was very disconcerting, because for about 2 seconds, I felt literally out of control. My car was doing something I didn't want, and I had no further recourse to stop it. I don't know if the car and my phone both maintained continuous network connection during the event. But I would hope that as soon either signal is lost, any summon activity would immediately cease. As a failsafe, I'm also thinking that opening the door would probably cause it to stop, but I don't know if anyone has specifically tested this. Maybe I should.

That said, there were hints that my event could have been "something completely different". My friend was in the passenger seat during the test, and he said that the car appeared to enter an auto-park mode. Sounds like the main screen showed the P symbol in an available spot and, and may have started navigating toward it. When the car did stop, it posted something like "auto-park cancelled". We know that eventually you should be able to drive to a building entrance, then get out and tell the car to go park itself. I'm wondering if this is one of those shadow features that just needs to be un-blocked for public use when development is complete, but is actually running in the background at some level.
Yes, smart summon has always been some hack off of auto-park. Used to get auto-park cancellation alerts whenever I jumped in the car quickly afterwards.
I wonder if having a passenger detected in the seat inside is a corner case for whatever bug caused your issue.

Sjohnson20

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I also saw the auto park is cancelled message once while using smart summon. I was wondering why. I guess eventually the auto park and the smart summon will merge somehow? That would be really nice!

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, smart summon has always been some hack off of auto-park. Used to get auto-park cancellation alerts whenever I jumped in the car quickly afterwards.
I wonder if this means autopark is now free to maneuver at up to 4 mph too. :cool: ⏳ 😴

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I found out today (with a dozen coworkers watching) that Summon when my 3 is covered with 2" of wet, heavy snow is not a good idea.

Although the front cameras are self-cleaning via the wipers, apparently the side camera's don't work well when snow-covered. It took awhile to start moving after the wipers started, but it moved really slow and primarily in a forward directions (and I'm 90 to the right). I guess it can't turn if it can't see what's along side the vehicle.