V10 Feature: Scheduled Departure - new in 2019.36.1

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have my scheduled departure set for weekdays at 5:45am and usually it is great. Today I arrived home with 13% charge left and plugged in and it started charging right away. I stopped the charging via the app but it keeps turning back on. I'm wondering if its starting charging right away because I didn't charge last night or if there is a bug I need to report. Can anyone advise?
I wonder if it could be because you are below 20%. I haven't seen this noted, but they disable so many features at 20% that is their threshold. I wonder what would happen if you go ahead and let it charge up to say 25% and try to disable, or even just about 20, then see what happens.

Jheyl

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wonder if it could be because you are below 20%. I haven't seen this noted, but they disable so many features at 20% that is their threshold. I wonder what would happen if you go ahead and let it charge up to say 25% and try to disable, or even just about 20, then see what happens.
Thanks for your quick reply! I plugged the car back in to do as you recommended and this time it did not start charging and it is back to showing charging will start for the scheduled departure time. So....no problem anymore. It's like talking to IT as soon as they get on the line the problem goes away 80% of the time. Thanks for the suggestion and I'll keep an eye on it.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry if my problem has been answered already somewhere, but...

When I tried to use Scheduled Departure feature last couple of days and I set the departure time the night before to 8:30 AM and to charge up to 80%. Battery SoC when I plugged it in was ~30%. Garage ambient temp is around 25F. My Tesla charger max charging power is 48A @220V.

So in the morning, the battery does get charged to 80% and the cabin is warm, but my regen is very low. It almost seems that the charging was finished way early in the night so that the battery already got cooled down by 8:30 am, hence low regen ability.

What is the purpose of preconditioning other than for battery to be warm enough so that you have full regeneration when you drive off? I can always heat up the cabin in 5 minutes before departure...

Shouldn't the algorithm calculate total time needed for charging, and then to start charging so that it stops right before the scheduled departure time? If they don't change something, I find this feature useless, unless I am doing something wrong.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Scheduled Departure probably is close enough in the winter if you're not on 120v. They seem to have changed how the battery is charged from last winter.

Now I can see where it'll take 8 hours for my charge to finish (in 20°F temps and my M3 is in a detached garage), but 12 hours later when I get up, it still shows as needing 2 hours to finish. This happens night after night, even when it isn't -20°F. Of course the problem comes from time spent to warm the battery when it shows 0 mph for some time while the battery is warmed. What I don't understand is how after charging for some time at 7 mph (I'm on 20 amps), it needs to drop to 0 mph to warm the battery. I thought charging the battery was warming it? Where in the summer I could easily add 50 miles in 8 hours, now I'm lucky to see 30 some nights.

And don't get me started on when the work week starts. Several updates after this feature was added, I still can't get Scheduled Departure to start on a Sun night and it still wants to Schedule Departure on Friday nights for Saturday. I have it set for weekdays only (6:15 am).

Please don't suggest how I can add a 240 circuit to get around this. We rent and only have a single 20 amp circuit in our garage and the electricity is no cost to us. I have a 7 mile commute so 120v works fine. I'd just like to see them fix the bugs I mentioned here.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The problem is, when you are plugged in, the car limits battery-warming waste heat power to any wattage left over after the cabin heater.
If you have 5kW like I do, the heat goes on full 7kW (sucking some of the battery), and only once cabin heat falls below 3kW does it start heating the battery (3kW with one motor, 6kW with two?). Basically just assume battery heat does not start until your cabin almost reaches the set temp. It is fairly effective though, now with 5-10min of manual preheating from ice cold, I have decent regen every day, compared to last year when I usually had none.

But 120v presents a bigger problem. You only have 1.5kW available when plugged in. That is barely enough to keep the cabin at temperature, if you are lucky you might get 1kW for battery heat.

If you unplug the charger, then activate preheating, then you will get full power heat and battery heating. Of course that means you have to go outside first...

StromTrooperM3

Country
Country
when you are plugged in, the car limits battery-warming waste heat power to any wattage left over after the cabin heater.
Thanks for this explanation. The only reason I was considering adding 220v from my 110v setup was to have the pack fully heated in cold months. I'm still not sure it's really necessary as I find that I have some/enough Regen even with 110v. Using these opportunities to use and clean the pads and rotors isn't a bad thing either since they get little to no workout otherwise

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for this explanation. The only reason I was considering adding 220v from my 110v setup was to have the pack fully heated in cold months. I'm still not sure it's really necessary as I find that I have some/enough Regen even with 110v. Using these opportunities to use and clean the pads and rotors isn't a bad thing either since they get little to no workout otherwise
If you are in a rental, and if you have access to the breaker panel and there is only one outlet on the circuit, you can bump up the circuit without rewiring. Change the breaker to a dual-phase, change the outlet to a 6-20, move the neutral to the other phase...you will then have 240v 2A. When you move out, swap the breaker and outlet back. Well worth a few minutes work and few dollars to double your wattage!

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
But 120v presents a bigger problem. You only have 1.5kW available when plugged in. That is barely enough to keep the cabin at temperature, if you are lucky you might get 1kW for battery heat.

If you unplug the charger, then activate preheating, then you will get full power heat and battery heating. Of course that means you have to go outside first...
Thanks for the explanation, but I don't care about cabin heat. I only use it to have my battery warm when I leave for work. My main complaint is I want the charge estimates more accurate so it starts on-time.

StromTrooperM3

Country
Country
if you have access to the breaker panel and there is only one outlet on the circuit
Someone else recommend this as well unfortunately my garage door opener and garage power is on the same breaker.

I think a single outlet on a breaker would be quite a rare occurrence but if so that's a great way to bump it without running new wiring

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Before going to bed last night, I bumped up my charge level by 5 miles (with a cold battery), hoping to have a warm battery this morning. This morning, it was warm but the app said it still needed 2+ hours to get a full charge. This is on 120v, 20a in a detached garage and outdoor temps ~20°F.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You should be able to see the charging curve on TezLab app (free app) to figure out the rate of charge at any given moment. Maybe that will give you more insight why the estimate is off.

StromTrooperM3

Country
Country
This morning, it was warm but the app said it still needed 2+ hours to get a full charge
I'm gonna play with mine since I have 110v as well just to give you a point of reference.

How do you set yours up? Scheduled departure time? Or time to start charging?

Mine usually takes so long 8-12 hours that I just have it start charging whenever I get home. This way I'm at least back to 80% in the morning

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm gonna play with mine since I have 110v as well just to give you a point of reference.

How do you set yours up? Scheduled departure time? Or time to start charging?

Mine usually takes so long 8-12 hours that I just have it start charging whenever I get home. This way I'm at least back to 80% in the morning
Thanks! Mine is set for weekdays and ready at 6:15 am.

We had a warm day today, close to 30°F today... a bad day to maintain a car wash. When we got home from the movie it wanted to do delayed charging, but I opted for charge now, which shortly said 13 hours needed to be ready in 11 hours. Not sure how that math works.

Now it says 5-1/2 hours remaining, but I bet it'll still be charging when I check it in 10 hours (6am). The 6am temp should be close 6°F and drop though the day while we experience a ground blizzard. Tomorrow night around -20°F. Going to be another granny mode day with limited accel and absent regen.