V10 Feature: Scheduled Departure - new in 2019.36.1

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Hugh_Jassol

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm in exactly the same boat. Rates are low 7pm to 7 am, but I leave about 9am, so I want it to finish charging before 7am, and warm up the car about 8:45. No way to do that.
Sure there is - in fact, there's no way to NOT do that. If you set "scheduled departure" it will ALWAYS finish charging by 6am (this was in the release notes, albeit confusingly). Then just prior to your scheduled departure, it will warm up the cabin.

Algorithm works like so (at least in the first release):

- Set a scheduled departure time.
- Car will finish charging by 6am or scheduled departure time, whichever is earlier
- ~15 min prior to scheduled time, HVAC will turn on to pre-condition the cabin.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Sure there is - in fact, there's no way to NOT do that. If you set "scheduled departure" it will ALWAYS finish charging by 6am (this was in the release notes, albeit confusingly). Then just prior to your scheduled departure, it will warm up the cabin.

Algorithm works like so (at least in the first release):

- Set a scheduled departure time.
- Car will finish charging by 6am or scheduled departure time, whichever is earlier
- ~15 min prior to scheduled time, HVAC will turn on to pre-condition the cabin.
to add to your comments - cabin pre-conditioning will run for 19 minutes then turn off. Mine is set for 7:30 and when leaving at 7:50a or 8a, it shuts off at 7:49. Mine has consistently ran for 19 minutes on the days I've not left closer to my 'scheduled' time.

Hugh_Jassol

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
to add to your comments - cabin pre-conditioning will run for 19 minutes then turn off. Mine is set for 7:30 and when leaving at 7:50a or 8a, it shuts off at 7:49. Mine has consistently ran for 19 minutes on the days I've not left closer to my 'scheduled' time.
Thank you for posting this info... I've been wondering what happens when it's a weekday and I take the day off...

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
In my (limited) experience, Scheduled Departure does not activate the seat heaters. Is this your experience as well? I was also unable to manually activate them via the app while Scheduled Departure was pre-conditioning the cabin.

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
In my (limited) experience, Scheduled Departure does not activate the seat heaters. Is this your experience as well? I was also unable to manually activate them via the app while Scheduled Departure was pre-conditioning the cabin.
I’m pretty sure that it turns on the seat heaters to whatever you had them set to when you exited the vehicle. At least that’s where they are when I get in the car in the morning.

It is weird that the app doesn’t show the seat heaters at all on the Climate screen when using Scheduled Departure. You can still set them from the app, you just need to toggle climate off and then back on.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I’m pretty sure that it turns on the seat heaters to whatever you had them set to when you exited the vehicle. At least that’s where they are when I get in the car in the morning.

It is weird that the app doesn’t show the seat heaters at all on the Climate screen when using Scheduled Departure. You can still set them from the app, you just need to toggle climate off and then back on.
Great. Thanks!

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Mine definitely didn’t stay on for 19 minutes this morning. I left 14 minutes past my scheduled departure time, and the car had already cooled down from 70 to 58. I’m not sure how late I’ve departed on other days (this was probably the latest) but I’ve never noticed it shutting off on me before. Maybe it was a bug this morning.

My scheduled departure time is 7:15. At 6:45 I checked and climate hadn’t started yet and I bumped up charging time to go for another hour. At 7:05 I checked again and saw climate running. At 7:29 I checked and saw a message on the app I hadn’t noticed before, something like “car is ready for scheduled departure at 7:15”. However both climate and charging had stopped for some reason. Climate showed 70 degrees at first, but when I went to switch it back on it showed that it had cooled to 58 already. On 2019.36.2.1 and iOS app 3.10.2.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I should have said mine stays on 19 minutes beyond the scheduled departure time. I've not paid attention to what time it starts to heat up.

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Experienced a strange bug with Scheduled departure last night which resulted in my car not charging at all overnight. 2019.36.2.1.

Got home from a road trip Friday at -7pm with 17% charge. Plugged in and it didn’t start charging, it said charging was scheduled for 7:15am departure. I verified that I have it set for 7:15am weekdays only. Plus I charge on 120V so it should have started immediately, unless it was waiting for 7:15am Monday! It hasn’t done this on other Fridays. I told it to start charging now, and I verified it was charging. However, this morning I discovered that it had stopped charging and hadn’t charged much at all overnight. It was reporting that charging is scheduled for 7:15am departure.

The only thing I can think of that might have caused this was that I accidentally still had charge target set to 100%. Maybe with it was trying to minimize time at 100% for my Monday morning 7:15am departure and it was assuming I wouldn’t drive on the weekend.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
mine again started charging last night 3 minutes after I plugged it in - for 59 minutes, and about 5% shy of the set limit, then topped it off around 5:30 this morning for 11 minutes to get up to the limit.

I don't have TOU electricity, so it doesn't make a difference to me, but a bug for sure and the 3rd or 4th time this has happened

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I turned this wonderful feature off about 3 weeks back. I know they need help de-bugging, but they have to break it in to two features before it is worth putting time and effort in to. A feature for charging and a feature for conditioning.

F0ZZ

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I just started using departure time to get the car and battery warm before I head out for the day. I’ve noticed charging actually completes a few hours sooner than it should. Is this normal? I’ve gone back to start time for now.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Experienced a strange bug with Scheduled departure last night which resulted in my car not charging at all overnight. 2019.36.2.1.

Got home from a road trip Friday at -7pm with 17% charge. Plugged in and it didn’t start charging, it said charging was scheduled for 7:15am departure. I verified that I have it set for 7:15am weekdays only. Plus I charge on 120V so it should have started immediately, unless it was waiting for 7:15am Monday! It hasn’t done this on other Fridays. I told it to start charging now, and I verified it was charging. However, this morning I discovered that it had stopped charging and hadn’t charged much at all overnight. It was reporting that charging is scheduled for 7:15am departure.

The only thing I can think of that might have caused this was that I accidentally still had charge target set to 100%. Maybe with it was trying to minimize time at 100% for my Monday morning 7:15am departure and it was assuming I wouldn’t drive on the weekend.
This mirrors my current problem, which I bugged via email with Tesla this morning. We rent so only have 120v 20 amp available, but at least it's free to us (and our apt manager knew I had an EV when we signed the lease).

I plugged in last night at 10:30 pm with 39 MTE, with a very cold battery and set to charge to 90%. I had weekdays only selected and this was Friday night, yet the phone app said it was scheduled for 6:30 am Saturday, but I chose Charge now from the phone app and it actually added a few miles to my cold battery before I went to bed. However, 10 hours after plugging in, I had lost 20 miles and had plans to drive 100 miles in zero temps on Monday, which I doubt will happen now.

After discovering this mess at 8:30 this morning, I turned off scheduled departure (which works fine on work days) and had to warm a cold battery and I'm finally up to 35 MTE now. It was 19 MTE at 8:30 this morning. So where I normally can add 7 MPH (and it's currently charging at 7 MPH), in the last 5 hours I managed to add only 16 miles. My 3 is garaged and the car interior temp is 22°F and the outdoor temp is -5°F.

I'm on 2019.40.2.1

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I plugged in last night at 10:30 pm with 39 MTE, with a very cold battery and set to charge to 90%. I had weekdays only selected and this was Friday night, yet the phone app said it was scheduled for 6:30 am Saturday, but I chose Charge now from the phone app and it actually added a few miles to my cold battery before I went to bed. However, 10 hours after plugging in, I had lost 20 miles and had plans to drive 100 miles in zero temps on Monday, which I doubt will happen now.
I’m still seeing this problem on Friday nights, currently on 2019.40.50.7. With scheduled departure set for 7:15am weekdays, the car doesn’t like to charge on Friday night. It treats it like I don’t need to drive on the weekend at all if my scheduled departure is weekday only.

Last Friday got home with ~60% SOC. Plugged in and message on screen said charging was scheduled for 7:15am departure, so I manually started charging. However, in the morning it was still only ~%60 with a message again that charging was scheduled for 7:15 departure. Manually started charging again, and this time it kept charging.

One strange thing is that this seems to happen on Friday nights, but not Saturday nights. On Saturday night, I plugged in and it started charging immediately and kept charging to my 90% limit.

scottf200

Country
Country
When I got in the car to leave at 7:10 the cabin was warm and ready to go. I anticipate this had kicked on just a few minutes before I got in the car. I'm hoping that it had not started preconditioning when the charging ended an hour and a half before. This will take more investigating. Set a 7:15 departure, but leave at 6:45 - see if it is conditioned or not, etc.
This was a 4am departure test with the bump there for cabin heating. You can see the times. This is with 32amp (20 mph) charging.
(note I originally was going to use scheduled charging because that is when my hourly rates start to go up. I didn't need the cabin precond tho so no I just start at 1am and generally works on most days).

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It’s been working great for me. I have it set for 7:45am departure 7 days a week, pre-heat on week days only.

My only complaint is that you can’t see or adjust the seat heaters in the app when cabin conditioning has been automatically triggered by scheduled departure.

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It’s been working great for me. I have it set for 7:45am departure 7 days a week, pre-heat on week days only.
Hey, thanks! I completely missed that you can set the departure for every day and separately set it to precondition the cabin on weekdays. I had mine set for departure on weekdays, which was probably indicating that I don’t need charging on the weekends. Hopefully this fixes my Friday night charging problems.

Jheyl

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have my scheduled departure set for weekdays at 5:45am and usually it is great. Today I arrived home with 13% charge left and plugged in and it started charging right away. I stopped the charging via the app but it keeps turning back on. I'm wondering if its starting charging right away because I didn't charge last night or if there is a bug I need to report. Can anyone advise?

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have my scheduled departure set for weekdays at 5:45am and usually it is great. Today I arrived home with 13% charge left and plugged in and it started charging right away. I stopped the charging via the app but it keeps turning back on. I'm wondering if its starting charging right away because I didn't charge last night or if there is a bug I need to report. Can anyone advise?
I wonder if it could be because you are below 20%. I haven't seen this noted, but they disable so many features at 20% that is their threshold. I wonder what would happen if you go ahead and let it charge up to say 25% and try to disable, or even just about 20, then see what happens.

Jheyl

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I wonder if it could be because you are below 20%. I haven't seen this noted, but they disable so many features at 20% that is their threshold. I wonder what would happen if you go ahead and let it charge up to say 25% and try to disable, or even just about 20, then see what happens.
Thanks for your quick reply! I plugged the car back in to do as you recommended and this time it did not start charging and it is back to showing charging will start for the scheduled departure time. So....no problem anymore. It's like talking to IT as soon as they get on the line the problem goes away 80% of the time. Thanks for the suggestion and I'll keep an eye on it.