V10 Feature: Scheduled Departure - new in 2019.36.1

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was able to set my scheduled departure this morning for 7:15 AM. I can confirm the car charged from 3:50 AM until 5:38 AM. This would have cut off before the Tesla mentioned 6AM change in electrical rates in many areas. So this charging activity is very different and separate from my true scheduled departure of 7:15.

There is something really interesting about this charge - it doesn't show up on Teslafi at all. My drive was 100% recorded after the charge, so when I have time I'll ask Teslafi to rebuild my records and give the car time to see if there is any more information it is willing to give to Teslafi, but I'm guessing nothing after the fact, that is all captured in real time as it happens. To say the least - Tesafi shows me nothing about the charge.

When I got in the car to leave at 7:10 the cabin was warm and ready to go. I anticipate this had kicked on just a few minutes before I got in the car. I'm hoping that it had not started preconditioning when the charging ended an hour and a half before. This will take more investigating. Set a 7:15 departure, but leave at 6:45 - see if it is conditioned or not, etc.

When I got in he Navigation had already pre-loaded my destination of "Work" and had my route laid out for me. This is a feature called "Automatic Navigation" which is also new in this release. I don't know if it needs it's own thread, but maybe. it knew to choose my work location (I have a work location stored as Work in the navigation). I guess because that is what I typically choose in the morning. Maybe that or because Tesla assumed we all get up and go to work first thing in the morning. This will be interesting to see what happens for someone working a night shift. Someone report back.

Looking forward to other reports as I hope this rolls out wider today.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, apparently, rumors are correct that there is no option to complete charging later than 6am? My biggest use for this option would be for road trip departures where I want to leave with a 100% charge. But it appears that for this to be useful to me, I'd have to leave by 6? Not complaining, just making sure I understand.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, apparently, rumors are correct that there is no option to complete charging later than 6am? My biggest use for this option would be for road trip departures where I want to leave with a 100% charge. But it appears that for this to be useful to me, I'd have to leave by 6? Not complaining, just making sure I understand.
My charging is set to 80%. I think if I were set to 100 it would have started earlier. I think this feature needs work with its own time setting different from Scheduled Departure time which heated the cabin and got my navigation ready to go.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I tried this feature last night. I set my scheduled departure to 8am, and plugged in about 10pm. Unfortunately, the car started charging immediately. Because of my time of use plan, I don’t want it to start to charge until after midnight. It said it only needed 25 minutes to complete the charging. I’m not sure if I missed a setting or step.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I tried this feature last night. I set my scheduled departure to 8am, and plugged in about 10pm. Unfortunately, the car started charging immediately. Because of my time of use plan, I don’t want it to start to charge until after midnight. It said it only needed 25 minutes to complete the charging. I’m not sure if I missed a setting or step.
Setting my time of departure is all I did. Then I plugged in. I heard the charger click, but it did not begin charging. I got some shore power because I sat in the car and I know the heater came on in the car, but it did not begin charging until the middle of the night.

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@GDN can you let me know if the preconditioning also included the seat heaters being on? If so, is it at the last level of bacon you left it? Or full power 3 bacons?

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@GDN can you let me know if the preconditioning also included the seat heaters being on? If so, is it at the last level of bacon you left it? Or full power 3 bacons?
This is a good question and I'll have to check tomororw. It was not as cool here this morning, so it didn't have to do much preheating. I didn't specifically look at the seat heaters before and after entering my pin. I'll try to watch closer tomorrow.

Tomorrow morning I want to observe what happens with this feature, but the car is not plugged in. I'm guessing it will be the same, just no charging in the middle of the night.

I don't recall this from last winter, but I did note it last week. I preheated the car and turned my seat on from the app before leaving a couple of mornings. When I got in and entered my Pin to drive, the seat went off immediately, or returned to the last setting the seat was on when I last drove. My wish is that if I've turned the seat on to preheat and I get in to drive the seat remains where I set it for the preheat. I don't recall exactly, but I think this is a change from the behaviour last winter.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was able to set my scheduled departure this morning for 7:15 AM. I can confirm the car charged from 3:50 AM until 5:38 AM. This would have cut off before the Tesla mentioned 6AM change in electrical rates in many areas. So this charging activity is very different and separate from my true scheduled departure of 7:15.

There is something really interesting about this charge - it doesn't show up on Teslafi at all. My drive was 100% recorded after the charge, so when I have time I'll ask Teslafi to rebuild my records and give the car time to see if there is any more information it is willing to give to Teslafi, but I'm guessing nothing after the fact, that is all captured in real time as it happens. To say the least - Tesafi shows me nothing about the charge.

When I got in the car to leave at 7:10 the cabin was warm and ready to go. I anticipate this had kicked on just a few minutes before I got in the car. I'm hoping that it had not started preconditioning when the charging ended an hour and a half before. This will take more investigating. Set a 7:15 departure, but leave at 6:45 - see if it is conditioned or not, etc.

When I got in he Navigation had already pre-loaded my destination of "Work" and had my route laid out for me. This is a feature called "Automatic Navigation" which is also new in this release. I don't know if it needs it's own thread, but maybe. it knew to choose my work location (I have a work location stored as Work in the navigation). I guess because that is what I typically choose in the morning. Maybe that or because Tesla assumed we all get up and go to work first thing in the morning. This will be interesting to see what happens for someone working a night shift. Someone report back.

Looking forward to other reports as I hope this rolls out wider today.
what do you have your Teslafi Deep Sleep setting at? you may need to set it to stop deep sleep at 330a, if scheduled charging will typically be starting at 350a like this example.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm interested in how this works for me. I charge on 120v, 20a generally to 70% summer and 80% winter. I realize that preconditioning the cabin is generally poor on 120v, and tbh don't care about that. I'm more interested in reduced regen in winter for the trip to work. Leaving work with a cold battery is unavoidable.

Last edited:

StromTrooperM3

Country
Country
I realize that preconditioning is generally poor on 120v
I have been charging on 120v for almost a year now.

I can promise you 120 will never precondition your battery to improve regen in the winter. It just doesn't have the oompff

For this reason alone I'm getting quotes to finally install 220. I want the car preconditioned on cold winner mornings and the battery up to temp

Last edited:

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I say preconditioning, I mean the cabin and I don't care about that.

However, I find that any amount of charging does help regen, although never makes it completely 100%. Yesterday I still had 5 dots of regen after 3 hours of charging, and it still was pretty good.

I rent and have free charging on 120v, 20a in my detached garage so have to work with what I've got. I suspect scheduled departure will help me a lot with morning regen.

Now if I can only get 36.2.1 soon. We have single-digit lows coming this next work week.

Last edited:

StromTrooperM3

Country
Country
Dependent upon settings and ambient temperature.
I referenced winter and @Rick Steinwand referenced single digit temps. 120v will do nothing to help that except eat away at whatever charge the pack has.

Even today ambient temperature was 50F. I had 12 hours until charge completion. Turned on the heat to 80F and my charge time immediately went to 24+ hours. 120v just doesn't cut it if running the HVAC system

Last edited:

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have been charging on 120v for almost a year now.

I can promise you 120 will never precondition your battery to improve regen in the winter. It just doesn't have the oompff

For this reason alone I'm getting quotes to finally install 220. I want the car preconditioned on cold winner mornings and the battery up to temp
Technically, it does...it will warm the battery just enough to apply the 1.5kW from the 120v. That means you can also regen at 1.5kW...which of course is barely detectable. But that means the battery is just above freezing and will start warming more from there and obtain more noticeable regen quicker as you drive. Compared to non plugged in battery that is chilled well below freezing and you may not ever see regen for your whole drive.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
At what temperature of the battery does the snowflake appear? I've never gotten it to go away last winter using the combination of 120 and my driving distances
for reference, I've never seen the snowflake on mine, and had temps last winter bottoming out in the mid 20s (car parked in an unheated garage overnight that stays around 40-50F, and outside during the workday with daytime temps below freezing)

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had a snowflake yesterday when the high for the day was about 17°F. Today's high was 12°F.

When I left work today at 3:15 pm I had near zero regen (mostly dots on the left) and about 50% available power (right side was half dots). Looking forward to Indian summer.

HCD3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had a snowflake yesterday when the high for the day was about 17°F. Today's high was 12°F.

When I left work today at 3:15 pm I had near zero regen (mostly dots on the left) and about 50% available power (right side was half dots). Looking forward to Indian summer.
Hi Rick. I only want to get my battery warmed up prior to departure. Can you help me do this? I don’t need the cabin precondition when I depart. Thanks in advance.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi Rick. I only want to get my battery warmed up prior to departure. Can you help me do this? I don’t need the cabin precondition when I depart. Thanks in advance.
I just got the update last night so all I did was turn it on to complete at 6:30 am. There was a checkbox for only prewarm weekdays so suspect this version always does both.