v10 Bugs

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• A statement from the Founder of Tesla Owners Online:

TOO is, and remains, strongly committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and we see no place for hatred and discrimination in our communities.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Smart Summon is cool. The car really does drive itself. Onlookers FREAK OUT in some cases.

Its also got some real bugs.

M3D with FSD tried some really risky moves like trying to fit between two cement posts in two handicqpped parking spots.

Another time it stopped and “looked” and then drove with authority directly at aone of those cement posts, and I had to stop it or crash my car!

This was all at night, in a modestly lit parking lot. It has zero respect for painted parking spot lines.

I have been quite surprised at how well it saw curbs —likely the focus of development. Yet at the same time, it was cruising for a large dumpster without hesitation once too. Different types of recognition, perhaps, but Im afraid there may be some fender benders before this gets perfected.

Overall its cool, but its very BETA, so be wise please and don’t over estimate its computer vision and maturity. It is far from perfect, even if amazing and cool.

I see this release more as a sneak peek at an FSD future, a bone to the FSD early adopters, and the worlds greatest marketing in the history of marketing, bar none.

Not so much a “good to go” release, and I hope updates come quickly.

Careful please everybody, I am surprised by how fast it moves in situations it doesn’t seem to have nailed yet. I would have hoped it throttled down and was more “pensive” in some close call situations.

Did I mention its amazing?

BE RESPONSIBLE & SAFE.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My first Smart Summon attempt last night was to get my car from my driveway to my neighbors — first attempt it wanted to drive through my house which I obviously shut down. Definitely beta. Awesome... but beta.

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Watch out for human “bugs” too - if you freak out the wrong person with smart summon they might just call 911 and report a car left in gear with no driver.
I find it almost impossible to imagine that scenario playing out.

First, suppose there really were a car left in gear with no driver idling along in a parking lot. Who the heck calls 911 in that situation? There is no earthly way any kind of 911 response will be in time to deal with anything but aftermath. Instead, you'd either 1) watch to see what happens, 2) start yelling at people to get out of the way, or 3) run breathlessly in to a store to hope someone there could do something helpful.

Secondly, from what I've seen in videos smart summon doesn't look remotely like a car left in gear, and I don't think it would occur to anyone to think that's what's going on.

On the other hand, I could imagine some edge cases of people freaking out and thinking the car was possessed, or a remote-controlled robot bomb sent by terrorists, or something like that, and maybe that would generate a call to 911. But I don't think that's something to worry about. Although it's pretty darn cool, smart summon is certainly no weirder than, say, when consumer drones first started flying through our skies.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My first Smart Summon attempt last night was to get my car from my driveway to my neighbors — first attempt it wanted to drive through my house which I obviously shut down. Definitely beta. Awesome... but beta.
It still can't back down my driveway, which is offset from my detached garage by about 6 feet. It comes straight back, aiming at the corner of the house. Meh.

I see this release more as a sneak peek at an FSD future, a bone to the FSD early adopters, and the worlds greatest marketing in the history of marketing, bar none.
I see this release as a justification to recognize significant FSD revenue in the 3rd quarter. Maybe cynical, but....

JP White

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I find it almost impossible to imagine that scenario playing out.

First, suppose there really were a car left in gear with no driver idling along in a parking lot. Who the heck calls 911 in that situation? .
I expect you have been fortunate enough to not come across any busy bodies who will call 911 for amazingly trivial reasons. As your life progresses I fear you will be subjected to the 911 busybody like the rest of us.

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I expect you have been fortunate enough to not come across any busy bodies who will call 911 for amazingly trivial reasons. As your life progresses I fear you will be subjected to the 911 busybody like the rest of us.
I'm 53 years old, and have lived in San Francisco, New York City, Washington, DC, and a variety of suburbs. I've had police called on me multiple times: for example, when I broke in to my own car after I locked myself out, when someone reported me for riding between subway cars (I wasn't), for sneaking in to a building (OK--that one was a legit call, sort of, but it was definitely a busy body who called me in).

I have absolutely no doubt that there are lots of calls to 911 for dogs left in cars with dog mode on. I also wouldn't be surprised if, as I said, someone calls 911 because they think the car without a driver must be some kind of foreign plot. And now that I re-read it, maybe I misinterpreted the original post. If the idea is that someone might think a car with no driver is itself sinister, yes, they might call that in.

But if the idea is that someone might call it in because they think it's a runaway car? I don't buy it. They don't look at all like runaways, for one thing.

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
large repair bill, I SUMMON THEE! lol

https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/summon-settings-discussion.7631/page-7#post-147463

insert animated gif of Michael Jackson eating popcorn here!

I just hope nobody gets hurt.
I'm sorry for your experience, but how is that relevant to this thread? This is a thread for v10 bugs, and your experience was in September of 2018. Clicking through could easily give someone the impression that your accident occurred under v10 smart summon, rather than v9 (or v8?) regular summon.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Back on top with BUGS, if you have trouble connecting to your Tesla via the app either for Vent or Summon or other feature, check to see if wi-fi is turned on on your phone. Twice in the last 12 hours I had trouble connecting until I turned off wi-fi and was out of range of the nearest remembered wi-fi connection.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Had only one minor issue after the update. The USB drive containing my media was no longer accessible. I have the drive with the media and the drive for sentry mode on the same hub. Unplugged the hub, plugged it back in, and I could once again play the radio shows on the drive.

ibgeek

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
During my commute yesterday I noticed that NOA seems a lot more sure of itself. But it also seemed at times like it was processing a lot more data as there was a bit more steering twitch, especially around trucks or merging lanes.
For the most part this did not present any concern but I did see something that might be a little bit of a regression.

Up until V10 AP and NOA have gotten really good about sensing vehicles in a lane that is merging in to the lane you are in. I would regularly see as many as 3 vehicles highlighted in the visualization as vehicles my car was monitoring.
This was rock solid. But yesterday a car was just slightly behind the mid-line of my M3 and to the right when his lane began to merge and my car never saw it. Usually it would speed up and allow the car to file in behind me in that instance if there was room to do so, or slow down if need be. This time it completely ignored the car and began to center in to the new wide lane so I had to intervene. I did report this indecent.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm imploring people to PLEASE be careful with Smart Summon. Too many edge cases here to be used daily. In my opinion the only case where this might be useful at the moment is during a torrential downpour and you absolutely positively can't wait for the rain to subside and need your car.

Please only use it under controlled/known conditions and where traffic is light or non-existent, there are too many bad drivers out there to trust it completely. I've already seen at least 3 incidents online where the car was hit from someone else backing out of a spot and didn't see the car or weren't paying attention and the Tesla was hit. I don't think Smart Summon is fast enough to react to such incidents yet.

Elon has already confirmed they will add flashing light patterns to warn others the car is operating on it's own to get more attention but that's not something that will cure all cases.

Yes, it's fun to demo to friends but please only do it in empty parking lots until it matures more. Too many people out there are trusting it too fast and assuming it can handle all edge cases.

The last thing we need is to give the trolls online something to use against us or worse, regulators to take something away because we're being irresponsible.

Last edited:

ibgeek

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm imploring people to PLEASE be careful with Smart Summon. Too many edge cases here to be used daily. In my opinion the only case where this might be useful at the moment is during a torrential downpour and you absolutely positively can't wait for the rain to subside and need your car.

Please only use it under controlled/known conditions and where traffic is light or non-existent, there are too many bad drivers out there to trust it completely. I've already seen at least 3 incidents online where the car was hit from someone else backing out of a spot and didn't see the car or weren't paying attention and the Tesla was hit. I don't think Smart Summon is fast enough to react to such incidents yet.

Elon has already confirmed they will add flashing light patterns to warn others the car is operating on it's own to get more attention but that's not something that will cure all cases.

Yes, it's fun to demo to friends but please only do it in empty parking lots until it matures more. Too many people out there are trusting it too fast and assuming it can handle all edge cases.

The last thing we need is to give the trolls online something to use against us or worse, regulators to take something away because we're being irresponsible.

Not sure why, but I never can see the twitter posts people put in these forums. just see a big empty space and the twitter icon. I have an account and I'm logged in... What do I need to do?

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Not sure why, but I never can see the twitter posts people put in these forums. just see a big empty space and the twitter icon. I have an account and I'm logged in... What do I need to do?
Turn off your ad blocker or whitelist our site. We have Premium Accounts if you don't want to see ads but not turn off your ad blocker.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Agreed, even in my example I only used it as I had my three children with me and I didn’t want them walking out into the parking lot where it was difficult for other drivers to see.

And yeah, it’s been raining non-stop for three days in Chicago, wasn’t going to wait for it to end 😉

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Not the only useful case. Here are three more, off the top of my head:

--If you have a really heavy or bulky package.

--With an elderly relative with limited mobility.

--Late at night if you're not sure that crossing the parking lot on foot is safe.

The warning about using it cavalierly in a crowded lot is a good one, though. I do imagine those cases where the other driver is at fault and yet the car driving itself contributes to the situation will be the most common accidents. Driving a car in a parking lot sometimes requires a light tap on the horn to alert someone who is about to back in to you that you're there. And one thing Teslas don't do yet on their own is honk. At some point, that should become part of the feature set--for example, if emergency braking engages on a highway, shouldn't it also honk the horn? Likewise if the Tesla sees someone backing out of a space in to its position. For now, I'd guess they're worried about false negatives getting people ticked off, but horns--particularly short beeps rather than long blares--are also an effective way of alerting other drivers if there's an impending problem.

Country
Country
I'm 53 years old, and have lived in San Francisco, New York City, Washington, DC, and a variety of suburbs. I've had police called on me multiple times: for example, when I broke in to my own car after I locked myself out, when someone reported me for riding between subway cars (I wasn't), for sneaking in to a building (OK--that one was a legit call, sort of, but it was definitely a busy body who called me in).

I have absolutely no doubt that there are lots of calls to 911 for dogs left in cars with dog mode on. I also wouldn't be surprised if, as I said, someone calls 911 because they think the car without a driver must be some kind of foreign plot. And now that I re-read it, maybe I misinterpreted the original post. If the idea is that someone might think a car with no driver is itself sinister, yes, they might call that in.

But if the idea is that someone might call it in because they think it's a runaway car? I don't buy it. They don't look at all like runaways, for one thing.
I've had the police called twice while using dog mode. I'm debating seeing if I can schedule a demo for the local PD to show them how it works incase it happens in town.