Using Ceramic Spray

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Kennethbokor

Country
Country
Hello all, thought I'd tell you about my experience so far with this product. I can't afford to get the car ceramic coated or paint protection filmed so I opted to keep it as clean and "protected" as I can. So I purchased Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax (here is a link to an example: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/meguiar-s-hybrid-ceramic-wax-768-ml-0396554p.html) instead. I watched a few very good reviews by pros and found this product to be of great quality.

Instead of follow the manufacturers instructions to put this on the car when wet and rinse on, its better to put it on dry. So I washed and thoroughly cleaned and dried my car first, then applied this on. I put two coats. So far, it's worked great. Dead bugs hose off and the paint still looks like new after 2,200kms and 1 month of driving. I don't expect this to provide the same protection as true PFP of course, but feel this should provide some limited ability. I also purchased the Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax Detailer product as well so that every time I clean the car, I'll add a coat of the detailer product (which goes on faster) on the dry car too. Both have been easy to put on and work with and to me, look great.

Just thought I'd provide some feedback for those who don't want to spend the crazy money for a full ceramic treatment or paint protection films. I feel even at 1 bottle of this stuff per year, at $30 a bottle, this is a very cost-effective way to help keep the car looking good. I'll see how it lasts for the winter as I still will apply it at least once during the winter. The main Wax is supposed to last up to 6 months, however I plan on reapplying quarterly if I can.

Here's a recent pic from yesterday after washing my Model 3 at the spray wash then hand drying, and applying the Detailer product. If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
ken-1st-spray-wash-and-clean-model-3-oct-2020-jpg.35821

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
what made you consider putting it on different than the manufacturers instructions? Usually the maker recommends an application method the way that makes their product look and work the best.

Kennethbokor

Country
Country
Hi, well I watched a couple of good comparison videos and they tested multiple ways of using this product. One was completely dry, one was applying when wet with a towel and the other was per the manufactures instructions, spray on wet surface and rinse off. The best impact was the dry method. I suspect the reason the manufacturer instructs to spray on a wet surface then rinse is to get you to use more of the product to buy more. It's that simple. There is no adverse effect by applying it to a dry clean surface, like you would a normal wax.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I use ceramic spray detailer every 3 months or so even though my car was professionally coated. It doesn't last forever so it's cheap insurance to keep the car looking good for a long time. Always wash the car properly first, any dirt will likely get trapped!

gary in NY

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I just used Turtle Wax's version of ceramic spray coating called Hybrid Solutions (TWHS). I would assume that many of the major brands perform similarly. TWHS goes on a dry surface, is rubbed in, then the excess wiped off. Two coats are recommended to insure complete coverage. The results are impressive. On my 2 year old M3, I also used a clay bar to remove most of the contaminates stuck on the paint surface, which make it feel somewhat rough to the touch. The surface is smooth as silk after that rub down. I also used the clay bar and spray on the glass roof - BUT not the the windshield as in my experience these treatments can make the auto wipers behave erratically (more so than they sometimes do on their own). As for longevity, in a test conducted by YouTuber Project Farm, the TWHS held up better than the other brands included in his test. We shall see what happens in the real world, but I would be happy with six months or longer of protection.

As an aside, when you clay bar your car, you get very familiar with every inch of the painted exterior. You will see every detail, or flaw, in the paint. My car came with its share of these, but none are glaring and they don't keep me awake at night. From then on you can monitor any new scratches or chips, let alone parking lot dings. Anyway, just something I noticed during the process.