USB Thumb Drive - Audio

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've got a friend with a 3 that did your same retrofit, but didn't take the console out. You've got to be super careful, but he used a speed bit to cut the hole where you did. He tapped power at the cigarette lighter in the back of the console.

Madmolecule

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I saw the video doing it with the console in. I think removing it makes for a more solid install. I felt it was a big mistake while I had the console out and messed up the spring. Glad I did it, but I should have left it to the professionals, but I posted the video with part numbers if interested. It is also probably a how to void your warranty video

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I did a search, but haven’t seen any posts on this since 2018.48.

I simply copied my iTunes library (ALL m4a) using Finder drag/drop to a 64 GB thumb. Things seem to be working pretty well on the Model 3 Media Player. When selecting by Artist, all the albums are there, album art is correct, songs are in correct order and sound great. No skipping or errors so far. When selecting by Album, not so much. A lot of albums are split into fragments with several songs each. Player loses its place when the car goes to sleep.

The file structure iTunes uses is Artist/Album/Song, so that’s probably why that option works well.

My iTunes library is all m4a because I use iTunes Match, which essentially replaces any ripped/copied song with Apple's "lossless compression".

OneSixtyToOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Last night I lost all streaming capability, favorite icons missing, no USB music, spinning circle of death, etc. The only thing that worked was the radio. Rebooting did not fix the situation. Finally, I pulled out the USB stick and plugged it back in and everything started working. I've always had the intermittent loss of the USB drive but nothing like this.
Additional info:
Version 2018.50.6
32 GB USB 2.0 thumb drive with about 10 GB of music.
I don't have a directory on the USB for video.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

OneSixtyToOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Seems like it was timed with your USB stick removal, but there were other similar problems to your reported across the country last night. It could have been the same issue. You might check out this thread as it sounds similar even though you seem to be tied to the USB removal. https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/“routing-with-no-traffic-data”-lte-streaming-music-stopped-working-even-after-power-off-and-two-button-resets.11182/
Hmmmm...... It might be related. I did notice an LTE loss at one point but then I had all the LTE bars and traffic info. Favorite icons started reappearing but I still had the spinning circle of death for several minutes. As I stated above, when I removed the USB stick and plugged it back in, everything instantly started working. Some programmers at Tesla need to review their error handling and recovery code.

BTW this all happened between 9:00 and 10:00 PM PST

OneSixtyToOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
FYI This situation occurred again so it is unrelated to the LTE outage.
I entered the car and the entertainment system had the spinning wheel of death. TunedIn was the last thing I was playing before I left the car. This time I immediately removed the USB drive and everything started working again. After putting the USB back, it works fine too.

OneSixtyToOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Like most of us, I've had issues with the USB losing its place after exiting the car. Recently I've also had issues with the USB causing the streaming to go into the spinning circle of death.

I had never created a TeslaCam folder so I decided to give it a try.

Last weekend I partitioned the thumb drive and use the first partition for video and the 2nd for music. So far everything has worked flawlessly. The mp3 song position was even maintained through the last update (2019.5.4).

My new working theory is that there is some sort of conflict or timeout occurring when the car is simultaneously trying to find a non-existent video folder and the last song file on the same partition.

TheHairyOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I switched from a stick to a SSD and have had way fewer issues. My precious Usb stick would overheat in the car when not in use, usage light blinked while playing streaming music (separate stick from dashcam stick).

I now use a fat32 (cam)/ext4 (music) partitioned 2TB ssd and haven’t had a spinning death issue since.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had a discovery regarding USB loading time. I have a USB drive with 40+ GB of mp3 music on it, and it was taking over 10 minutes to index every time I got in the car. One of my folders had thousands of files in it. I moved the files in that big folder into lots of smaller folders (organized by artist/album), and that significantly sped up the indexing time. Now it takes 45 seconds to index.

Unfortunately indexing still happens every time I get in the car, and it never remembers or resumes where I was last listening on USB.

sduck

Country
Country
Yes, usb audio is STILL broken, despite promises to fix it when v9 came out several months ago. Still doesn't remember where you left off when you restart the car, and doesn't sort files correctly in folder view. Annoying. Not the end of the world though. One thing that helps the indexing slowness - a ssd formatted in ext4. I'm still experimenting with it, and may not have enough files on it to really tell yet, but it seems to load almost instantaneously.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
sduck, Tesla is at least promising to fix USB playback? I've contacted them several times and they suggested scheduling service so they can look at it.

sduck

Country
Country
No, perhaps I wasn't clear. USB audio playback works, just not in the way I'd like it to, or that other cars do. If USB audio isn't working at all for you, that's a different issue.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No, perhaps I wasn't clear. USB audio playback works, just not in the way I'd like it to, or that other cars do. If USB audio isn't working at all for you, that's a different issue.
USB playback works great for me once loading is complete. Before I reorganized my music loading took over ten minutes. Now it takes 45 seconds, but it does still load every time. And more importantly, it never resumes what I was listening to on USB last time I was in the car.

sduck

Country
Country
I'm hearing that they've fixed the resume problem with the new update. Haven't been able to test it yet. And I'll second my ext4 formatting recommendation - I pulled my drive to add a bunch of files, now there's some 20GB of files on it. When I put it back in the car, I pulled up the usb window to see how long it would take to index it, but it was already done - almost instantaneously.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Do you know with which new update resume is fixed? Two days ago I received 2019.5.15, and it still doesn't resume for me.