• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

cnsf01

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Since 2020.44, my USB Album Art has disappeared and USB music no longer shows up in Recents.

Does anyone else have the same problem? I am now on 2020.48.35.5 and still no album art or recents.

I also find that when playing 176,400/24bit flacs, the audio buffer tends to choke mid-song

Service is my area is terrible, so USB music tends to be the only way I can listen and drive safely. Fumbling with a phone to play audio while driving is not safe.

2018 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD, acceleration boost, HW 2.5.

Another feature I would love to have is multichannel FLAC support. I would think if the speakers are addressable, this would be an easy fix. Many other luxury cars support multichannel hires audio (DVD-A or SACD).

We need some USB music love.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue Meanie

sduck

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
It's not just widespread, it's all album art over usb on all cars since 2020.44. And while i and numerous other people have been reporting it wherever we can (tweet Elon!), there's no indication that tesla is aware of it or will ever fix it. i would love to be wrong about that last part...

edit: I'm not 100% sure about model S and X cars.

sduck

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
So many months ago I tried the tesla support page chat system - after some 20-30 minutes of waiting I gave up. I had some free time this morning, so thought i'd give it another shot - and got right on with someone this time. Short and sweet -
Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.26.26 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.28.27 AM.jpg

I hope they weren't just giving a me a feelgood runaround.

garsh

Dis Member
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Glad you got through this time!
I hope they weren't just giving a me a feelgood runaround.
I can't imagine a reason why they would lie about it being a known issue. Is there any benefit to doing that instead of saying "we'll be sure to let the team know"?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Kizzy

atca

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hello,

so I´ll wait patiently for the next update. But if then after more than 3 months I won´t get the fix, maybe I´ll take the time to write to Tesla Germany headquarters in a real letter on paper and complain that they took me functionality I bought with my car back in February 2020.

I also reported it via Service app to the Cologne service center and they told me that they move it forward to the developpers, but meanwhile I do not only wonder how this could happen and why they "forgot" to add USB-Music as another music source when they worked on 2020.44.

Now I also wonder how it can be so difficult to go back to the previous code which was fine for me since march 2020 when I got my car?!:oops:

testar

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Since 2020.44, my USB Album Art has disappeared and USB music no longer shows up in Recents.

Does anyone else have the same problem? I am now on 2020.48.35.5 and still no album art or recents.

I also find that when playing 176,400/24bit flacs, the audio buffer tends to choke mid-song

Service is my area is terrible, so USB music tends to be the only way I can listen and drive safely. Fumbling with a phone to play audio while driving is not safe.

Another feature I would love to have is multichannel FLAC support. I would think if the speakers are addressable, this would be an easy fix. Many other luxury cars support multichannel hires audio (DVD-A or SACD).

Yes, same problem since 2020.44. 2018 Model S. Just installed 2021.4.6 and still no album art. This makes me sad. I love my HD music. It just isn't quite the same without the artwork. I play 24/176 flac files without choking. Maybe need a faster USB drive.

testar

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
It's not just widespread, it's all album art over usb on all cars since 2020.44. And while i and numerous other people have been reporting it wherever we can (tweet Elon!), there's no indication that tesla is aware of it or will ever fix it. i would love to be wrong about that last part...

edit: I'm not 100% sure about model S and X cars.
I tweet to Elon and Tesla quite a bit on this one.

sduck

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
I don't think tweeting into the ether to those folks does any good. Maybe it helps you feel better, but that's about it. I do it also, don't get me wrong, but it also feels kind of futile. I'd go with the above route of using their chat system as often as possible - at least that way an actual person gets the message.

Reactions: testar

testar

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
I don't think tweeting into the ether to those folks does any good. Maybe it helps you feel better, but that's about it. I do it also, don't get me wrong, but it also feels kind of futile. I'd go with the above route of using their chat system as often as possible - at least that way an actual person gets the message.
Where is their chat system?

sduck

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
I've been doing the chat roulette thing with them about once a week about this. Usually I get the same "we are aware of this issue, it will be resolved in a future update" same old same old. Today I got something different -

"Me:
Album art in USB playback is broken, and has been broken since version 2020.44 came out last November. That's five months - it should have been fixed by now.

Music resuming properly over power cycles has been an issue since day one that I've had the car, which is almost 3 years now. This should have been fixed long ago - in fact it never should have been an issue in the first place - this isn't an issue in ANY other manufacturers cars.

Gaps between tracks in USB playback still happen - again, this should have been fixed ages ago, and shouldn't have been an issue in the first place.

Search is broken for USB music.
Voice commands to play USB tracks is broken.
USB tracks don't show up in the recently played list, also broken.

The ipod came out in 2001. While it had some of these and similar issues at first, they were all fixed within a year. Be like apple - fix the things! Please!

Kelly
12:16 PM
I understand your frustration, if you cannot wait for our advanced team to review you can take it into service to have them look over it as well.

Stephen
12:17 PM
Service can't fix these - these are software issues.

Kelly
12:18 PM
Understood, I will escalate this to our advanced support team and have them review. One moment please

Kelly
12:21 PM
OK I have some questions regarding the USB

Stephen
sure

Kelly
12:22 PM
Q: What brand of USB drive is being used?

Q: How much capacity does the USB drive have?

Q: Has the USB device been reformatted, and if so when?

Q: Is the USB Device being used for anything else? (e.g. dashcam, sentry mode and USB media)

Q: Has more than one USB device been tried?

Stephen
12:24 PM
It's a crucial m.2 msata ssd in a high end enclosure, 256gb - it's formatted in ext4 - no, only one partition - yes, I've tried numerous, like dozens of different kinds of drives, this one works the best, and resumes playback correctly maybe 90% of the time.

Stephen
12:25 PM
And there's no hub between the drive and the car. There's no buffering apparently, so have to eliminate any extra steps to get things to work passably.

Kelly
12:29 PM
OK Thank you for the details ive submitted everything over to our ATS team, they will review and then follow up. Bear in mind this can take sometime, the ETA I show is 10-12 business days. Was there anything else

Stephen
12:30 PM
No, that's excellent! Thank you!

Kelly
You are welcome and thank you for contacting Tesla!"

This got submitted to the ATS team! I don't know what an ATS team is, or if they'll actually get back to me, but it's a huge difference from the usual "known issue that will be addressed in a future update".

testar

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Thank you for being persistent with all this. It is sad and surprising with all the brilliant minds at Tesla/SpaceX that these simple issues still persist. You would think these issues would be frustrating to some of the executives there too. Apparently their UI team isn’t what it used to be.

My guess is that ATS is actually AST for advanced support team.
I've been doing the chat roulette thing with them about once a week about this. Usually I get the same "we are aware of this issue, it will be resolved in a future update" same old same old. Today I got something different -

"Me:
Album art in USB playback is broken, and has been broken since version 2020.44 came out last November. That's five months - it should have been fixed by now.

Music resuming properly over power cycles has been an issue since day one that I've had the car, which is almost 3 years now. This should have been fixed long ago - in fact it never should have been an issue in the first place - this isn't an issue in ANY other manufacturers cars.

Gaps between tracks in USB playback still happen - again, this should have been fixed ages ago, and shouldn't have been an issue in the first place.

Search is broken for USB music.
Voice commands to play USB tracks is broken.
USB tracks don't show up in the recently played list, also broken.

The ipod came out in 2001. While it had some of these and similar issues at first, they were all fixed within a year. Be like apple - fix the things! Please!

Kelly
12:16 PM
I understand your frustration, if you cannot wait for our advanced team to review you can take it into service to have them look over it as well.

Stephen
12:17 PM
Service can't fix these - these are software issues.

Kelly
12:18 PM
Understood, I will escalate this to our advanced support team and have them review. One moment please

Kelly
OK I have some questions regarding the USB

Stephen
sure

Kelly
12:22 PM
Q: What brand of USB drive is being used?

Q: How much capacity does the USB drive have?

Q: Has the USB device been reformatted, and if so when?

Q: Is the USB Device being used for anything else? (e.g. dashcam, sentry mode and USB media)

Q: Has more than one USB device been tried?

Stephen
12:24 PM
It's a crucial m.2 msata ssd in a high end enclosure, 256gb - it's formatted in ext4 - no, only one partition - yes, I've tried numerous, like dozens of different kinds of drives, this one works the best, and resumes playback correctly maybe 90% of the time.

Stephen
12:25 PM
And there's no hub between the drive and the car. There's no buffering apparently, so have to eliminate any extra steps to get things to work passably.

Kelly
12:29 PM
OK Thank you for the details ive submitted everything over to our ATS team, they will review and then follow up. Bear in mind this can take sometime, the ETA I show is 10-12 business days. Was there anything else

Stephen
No, that's excellent! Thank you!

Kelly
You are welcome and thank you for contacting Tesla!"

This got submitted to the ATS team! I don't know what an ATS team is, or if they'll actually get back to me, but it's a huge difference from the usual "known issue that will be addressed in a future update".

GDN

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
@sduck that is some persistence. Will be interesting, however I figure the next change you'll see will be with v11 or whatever the heck we might finally get some day.

Reactions: sduck

gppoletti

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Updated the hardware last week. Now I'm on version 2021.4.15 and exactly the same problems as before. No art, no recent list...

testar

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S

I have also had this issue for way too long. Unable to search for USB music either. I use USB because it's the only way I know to play my large selection of HD music at its highest quality. This worked way better when I bought my S in 2018. It wasn't perfect but assumed it would get better over time, not worse! Still broken in 2021.4.18!!

TeslaTony310

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I actually listen to music EXCLUSIVELY via USB thumb drive, and JUST noticed that the album art is broken....yikes, jaja. Glad there is something to it, though.

On a side note, I do have a tech coming out to visit today, for a sensor issue. I can ask him if there is any tech team that can help with this, or maybe another proper channel to send it to. I'll let you all know what he/she says.

sduck

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
It's been broken for 6 months, you use it exclusively, and you're just noticing it now? What other stuff are you not seeing while driving around? Just kidding, some of us are more visually oriented to details like this than others, which may or may not be a good thing, or whatever.

I keep telling myself that it's just a small detail, that the names of the albums/artists are all I really need. But I've gotten so used to my little album art to help me remember things like what year it's from, and other details. Hopefully they'll fix it eventually, but at least it still works otherwise (mostly).

TeslaTony310

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So update to this: I asked the tech, he was aware of the issue, as he's had owners come in for that issue previously. It's marked for fixing by Tesla, and there isn't really anyone he could refer me to. He stated they'd have to wait until Tesla marks it fixed in a firmware, and then he can bubble it up again.

Hope this helps. Sorry it's not better news.