USB Hub - 2x Phone charging + USB thumb drive

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Ok I am a fool sometimes. I went out of my way to get a Tesla lighting cable swapped for the USB-C that came with the car so I could charge 2 iPhones at the same time in my car. Then I realized that I also have a USB thumb drive installed in my car for music (just in case on my road trip we are in an area with no cell service). Well my trip is in less than 2 weeks and I would like to have all three working for the road trip. Anyone using some type of hub to split one of the front USB ports so you can hook up a thumb drive and the charging cable at the same time? Keep in mind that I'll have my teen with us so she'll also be charging random junk from the back seat (think iPad, iPhone, beats wireless headphones, and probably something that glows for no reason). I don't want a phone under my junk collector in the center arm rest so it would be best if I could split the two front USB ports to be able to charge two devices AND run a USB thumb drive.

So please post links to ones that worked for you if you have successfully done this. I would like to buy from Amazon pronto.

I have the SanDisk Ultra Fit 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive. It is super small so it shouldn't matter for the way the hub mounts to the car.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They are data ports, so a hub should work for data. You might lose high-speed charging after it though. There might be a powered hub that can plug into the lighter socket to support faster charging.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
They are data ports, so a hub should work for data. You might lose high-speed charging after it though. There might be a powered hub that can plug into the lighter socket to support faster charging.
That is what I figured. I wanted to see if someone had an exact device they were using that I could purchase on Amazon without doing the "will it work" game.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I found a thread on TMC that someone already bought a cheap hub and it seems to work enough for the battery to go up while using Waze. I'll try it out and see how it goes. If you want one search on amazon for...
Onvian 3 Port USB Hub High Speed Splitter Plug and Play Bus Powered-Upgrade Version

Johnston

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you're only just needing to charge 2 phones + TeslaCam for the trip, I'd just use the charging port on the back vents. Especially if your passenger intends to use the phone while travelling, he/she won't want to keep it attached to the phone holder area. Personally I've not had good luck with hubs.

The hub from Jeda is a nice but expensive option: https://getjeda.com/tesla-model3-usb-hub/

Last edited:

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you're only just needing to charge 2 phones + TeslaCam for the trip, I'd just use the charging port on the back vents. Especially if your passenger intends to use the phone while travelling, he/she won't want to keep it attached to the phone holder area. Personally I've not had good luck with hubs.

The hub from Jeda is a nice but expensive option: https://getjeda.com/tesla-model3-usb-hub/
The trip was a year ago.........old thread